Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
is anyone else fed up with buying something and having to return it because it just came broken or just sucks so bad it's worthless?

I bought a damn bathroom scale and it reads different every time you get on it.
took it back for a different brand...same damn thing. I don't get why it's acceptable for it to read +/- 3 lbs every time you step on it.

everything is just getting shittier and shittier. no one wants to build quality products anymore. it seems like all they care about is how many they can pump out a day and how little they pay to do it.

we should put together a list of shit products so we can help each other avoid making the same mistakes.

1. taylor scales
2. health o meter scales
3. remington ear and nose hair trimmers. I paid $20 for this thing and it wont cut shit. not even the hair on my arm
4. uniden phones
5. craftsman tools

and phone accessories are just so damn crappy it last for just a few months and stops working. I can't recall how many micro usb cables and car chargers I've gone through.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
There's lots of shitty Asian made musical instruments these days too. I play bass guitar, and whenever you go to a music store, the difference in quality between American made and the Asian made ones is stark. At a glance they look the same, but once you get your hands on them the quality just isn't there.

I think my generation is just so used to crappy quality Asian shit that we don't even notice it anymore.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I bought a pair of Ifrogs headphones from office depot and got the extened plan on them for like 8$ and they broke very easily. the way they are made was poor. So i sent them off and they gave me a new pair. The new pair broke the same way on the same spot. I got fed up and bought a Maxell pair instead and have been happy ever since.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a pair of Ifrogs headphones from office depot and got the extened plan on them for like 8$ and they broke very easily. the way they are made was poor. So i sent them off and they gave me a new pair. The new pair broke the same way on the same spot. I got fed up and bought a Maxell pair instead and have been happy ever since.
that reminds me of my other thread about mp3 players. the guy at the phone store suggested I try a set of skull candy with 10mm drivers. WOW, what a huge difference.

I did have to return the first set. :facepalm the right side quit working. I didn't make it 2 miles down the street and it quit.
the studio monitor sony's just required too much power to sound good I guess.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Yep. Well I've made it a point since I graduated school and started making real money to buy US made (or at least assembled) whenever possible. Following US Made, I look for Canada/Europe/Japan, followed by Mexico, Taiwan, and anywhere but china.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I research most purchases that I know nothing about to get a ballpark range of choices, than I usually look to see if Amazon carries it. I find consumer reviews to be more helpful than professional reviews (that generally only review the product new in the box), and have little to offer as to a product's performance years after purchase.

Amazon provides a platform for detailed consumer reviews and Although I often purchase through Amazon, I use them most for the availability of consumer product opinions.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I typically buy well or not at all. but it keeps me from owning things for a good while.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Harbor Freight...the home of the "use once tool". Just sad.
I disagree. I have the HF motorcycle tire changer. Changed 9 sets of tires so far.

I also built my kitchen cabinets with one of their brad nailers, and also have a belt sander.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Some HF tools are a pretty damn good bargain for good quality tools. I'll look there if I know I'm not going to find any USA made tools for a reasonable price. If the reviews are good, I give it a shot.

My drill press and belt sander are from there and are awesome for the money I spent (very little)

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
that reminds me of my other thread about mp3 players. the guy at the phone store suggested I try a set of skull candy with 10mm drivers. WOW, what a huge difference.

I did have to return the first set. :facepalm the right side quit working. I didn't make it 2 miles down the street and it quit.
the studio monitor sony's just required too much power to sound good I guess.
my maxell's have the Extra large 40mm drivers and I can beat around on them because they were only 20$. I recommend them to everyone.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
cheap tools are usually a crapshoot.

Gearwrench stuff is mid level quality for low level cost. and in some cases they seem to be better than Mac or Snapon, for instance.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
I'll tell you what, the cheap Chinese crap you get in the US is still leaps and bounds ahead of the Chinese and Indian crap you get in the Middle East. Plastic components have hard lines that will cut you from where the molds meet, the engines overheat and burn out quicker, kitchen appliances leak, etc.

I prefer to spend a few extra dollars and get quality....regardless of brand. That said, never had an issue with HF. I knew if I was buying cheap quality or just low cost. I've been guilty of buying cheap tools from Autozone, but then I knew they were for one time use for jobs I don't plan on doing for quite a long time.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
With western governments de-valuing our dollar everyday. Companies have no choice to out source to China.

Just ask yourself why can't America make the same cheap junk?

BTW...try HUSKY tools. Very good stuff.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
There's lots of shitty Asian made musical instruments these days too. I play bass guitar, and whenever you go to a music store, the difference in quality between American made and the Asian made ones is stark. At a glance they look the same, but once you get your hands on them the quality just isn't there.

I think my generation is just so used to crappy quality Asian shit that we don't even notice it anymore.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah asian motorcycles and cars are complete unreliable crap.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I guess those Asians in Yamaha don't know shit about musical instruments...

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
With western governments de-valuing our dollar everyday. Companies have no choice to out source to China.

Just ask yourself why can't America make the same cheap junk?

BTW...try HUSKY tools. Very good stuff.
Devaluation of the currency is nothing compared to not having to deal with the EPA, Dept of Labor, Federal Trade Commission, Sue-happy lawyers, regulation, regulation, regulation. Then you have unions that want to start sucking off of you, Obamacare on the horizon, and tax upon tax. Is there any wonder companies look elsewhere for production? Or shelter their money offshore?

Cheap Chinese crap is what it is. I buy some things just because I don't give a damn that they aren't going to last long. USB adapters that only last a few months? At $2 for 2 (including shipping), who cares? For something where quality matters, I'll do my homework and pay a little more if I have to.

Reactions: PhilB
1 - 20 of 41 Posts