Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting Oil Filter Off After dealer did Oil Change!! & Throttle Body Sync Question.

Well, I did my own oil change at 150miles. Then came the 600 mile checkup and I had them do it since it's part of the service. Well, now I have 2,000 miles and I bought 3 quarts of Yamalube (3.00 a quart) and another oil filter.

I drained my oil, and then went to take the oil filter off. (Now I had already done this, plus when I bought the bike got a wrench for my bike) Well, one hour later and seriously scraped up oil filter and hands I said F it. Poured the brand new oil in, and the next day went back to dealer.

They got it off, wanted to charge me for a full oil change. I said no way. They gave me back the money for my oil and filter, and all is well again.

While there I deciced to ask the service manager about why at the 600mile mark my throttle bodies were not syncd up like I see so many here had done. I was told...

"Oh we never do that. They can't go out of sync. It's a little butterfly valve only way for it to go out of sync would be something would have to hit it"

Well, I am not too good on the technical parts, so while I knew this was BS, I could not reply in an informed manner. So can anyone here help to explain Why it needs to be done, and how he might be amiss in his thinking.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
just curious...did they charge you for it?..how much was your total service?..i called my local dealer and got a price of 162 plus parts...WHAT!!!..needless to say i did it myself..i did not synch the throttle bodies..i do plan on doing it at 4thousand though ..to be honest with you i probably would have paid the money had i had confidence in their ability to do a proper job and actually synch the throttle bodies and not just tell me they did..ive never had good experience with dealers of any kind for service work that is..i feel much more comfortable knowing that i checked the torque specs on the bolts personally...i just have a hard time trusting someone with my machines..especially this one

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
I paid 105 and they supposedly did synch the throttle bodies. Im gonna do it myself at 4000. Besides im at 3300 right now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here's a little trick I use to get a tight oil filter off -- put several layers of masking tape on the inside of the filter wrench. It will help to get a more snug fit onto the filter that will allow you to use more torque to remove it. I've used this trick for years and have never had a problem getting a over-tightened oil filter off. Once the filter is removed you will probably have to use a flat head screw driver to get it out of the wrench.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kevinmcdade said:
Here's a little trick I use to get a tight oil filter off -- put several layers of masking tape on the inside of the filter wrench. It will help to get a more snug fit onto the filter that will allow you to use more torque to remove it. I've used this trick for years and have never had a problem getting a over-tightened oil filter off. Once the filter is removed you will probably have to use a flat head screw driver to get it out of the wrench.
I tried exactally that. (Cept I used Duct Tape) This filter was on beyond tight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My filter was pretty tight.... so I tapped the end of the wrench with a hammer. I was careful to apply force in the proper direction. I am probably an idiot, but it worked.

-J

·
Registered
130 Posts
My first service was $100.50 cents. They tightened the throttle cables but I don't know if they looked at the butterflys. I was standing in the door of the service bay waiting for paperwork as one of the mechanics was attempting to suspend the tank on another FZ6 by shoving a screwdriver into a front bracket mounting hole and attaching an overhead tiedown strap hook to the screwdrivers shank. By doing that he was able to lift the front of the tank so high without disconnecting the fuel lines and work under it. It looked like a new bike sale since the red battery lead was still bagged and hanging out just like mine when I bought it. Then without warning the screwdriver slipped out of the hole and slam down comes the tank while the mechanic is turned away making a really bad thunk sound. He has his hands on the tank like homer's hands around barts neck by this point and the screwdriver was tryed the "other" way in the hole and once again the tiedown was holding the tank up but it slips and sure enough the screwdriver tip scrapped the blue paint all the way out of it's hole and slam once again the tank comes down. I'm looking at my bike in the parking lot wondering if I just paid this kid to work on mine too. A small S hook instead of the screwdriver would have held the tank and tiedown and I plan to try that method the first time I look under mine. Being a mechanic too I tend to notice those little things.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah. I'm finally at a point in my life where I have the knowledge to do these things, but also have no time and enough money to pay someone to do it.

Invariably, I always choose the wrong route. If I do it, I'll run into an unforeseen problem. If I pay someone to do it, they always do an unacceptable job.

For example, I recently had a flat repair. The damn mechanic didn't bother to adjust the slack when he put the wheel back on and just decided "the tighter the better". Unfortunately I didn't bother to check before I left and noticed when I hit ~45mph and had that wonderful drivetrain hum. So, there I am redoing what I just paid someone else to do.

It's a no winner.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My 600 mile was $169 and change. I was really impressed - They did EVERYTHING! I guess I got lucky with my dealer. I was worried about the bike when I got as it ran like ass for the first 600, but the second I took it off the lot after that service - it ran like a completely different bike - so different, and fun, that I took an unplanned 100mile trip right then and there. I guess it also helps that when I called the dealer to schedule it - the guy goes "FZ6?... All RIGHT!!!!"

·
Registered
850 Posts
oh yeah... and as for the filter... whenever I had a problem on my jeep - I used to drilled a hole through it and run a screw driver through the filter, then put a steel pipe or something over the handle end of the driver giving me a 6ft lever arm. Pops off every time!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm no expert about why the throttle bodies go out of sync. However, when I took mine in for the 4000 mile service, I asked them to specifically look at the sync, since I didn't do it at the 600-mile point. They said they were definitely out of sync and adjusted them. I noticed a slight difference in the sound of the intake, and the bike seemed to run a bit better.

If the throttle bodies never get out of sync, why is it included in every periodic service? I'm planning on doing my own once I get to the 8000-mile mark, since it is very simple to do once you have the equipment.

Anthony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.