Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay,

I posted a question about everybody's opinion of the PERFECT street bike. and I liked alot of the responses. It's funny that Triumph had several different models that people recomended. so here is my question...

everybody knows, that a 600 is a bad first bike, and that you should cut your teeth on a smaller bike, and then step up to the larger bike that you wanted in the first place. Now my question is, for somebody with 2 full years riding experience, 10K miles, what is the limit?

Some people have said look at stuff in the 750 and smaller range, others have said, look at the liter bikes if that is what floats your boat, several have recommended varies forms of litter twins.

so my question apply's to all those people that started on ninja 500's, FZ-R's, SV650's, etc. What is a good step up bike. I believe that motorcycling is a life long adventure, that being said, what is the perfect, next step?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Vfr

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RACER X said:

let me ask everybody this. the limiting factor of a first bike purchase is widely known, EVERYBODY is ham fisted at first, everybody has screwups that on precise bikes (SS600's) can get you hurt. They also say to avoid heavy motorcycles at first. Now, what's the limiting factor for a second bike?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kern0079 said:
Hands down MONEY
assuming money wasn't a factor.

Dude you can buy cheap older bikes that are still increadibly fast. I mean look at it this way. I can buy a Triumph Sprint ST for $10,499, or a Busa for $11K, that's not a big difference in price, but a SIGNIFICANT difference in performance

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
clearwaterms said:
let me ask everybody this. the limiting factor of a first bike purchase is widely known, EVERYBODY is ham fisted at first, everybody has screwups that on precise bikes (SS600's) can get you hurt. They also say to avoid heavy motorcycles at first. Now, what's the limiting factor for a second bike?
Since you have a certain degree of experience, I think the only limiting factor is your own self assessment of your capabilities. I would think after two year's and 10K miles of riding you have developed enough throttle and clutch control that you wouldn't make ham fisted rookie mistakes anymore. If that's the case, then from an operation standpoint you should be able to safely operate any bike you choose to buy. You won't be able to ride a sportbike to the limits of its capability, but that is true for the vast majority of riders on the street. If you still feel that you're prone to making control errors or can't control your urges to whack open the throttle then perhaps you're not ready for a high powered sportbike.

Personally, I went from a 2000 SV650 to a '98 YZF600R and now I ride an '03 Z1000 and I have only been riding for 2 years/12K miles. I have almost 2K miles on the Z1000 and don't forsee myself having any issues with it being too much bike.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I think the choice of a second bike has more to do with the type or riding you like to. Twisties, long trips, commuting all drive different needs in a bike. Assuming your 2 years and 10K miles aren't all on the freeway and you feel ready (close calls rarely happen any more), decide what you want from a bike and go for it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RayOSV said:
I think the choice of a second bike has more to do with the type or riding you like to. Twisties, long trips, commuting all drive different needs in a bike. Assuming your 2 years and 10K miles aren't all on the freeway and you feel ready (close calls rarely happen any more), decide what you want from a bike and go for it.
well, I am not going to purchase a bike until next spring (currently in my second season) and I am truely looking for a do it all motorcycle. I love to commute, but would and take the weekly twisty trip, but also, would like to get into more touring. Weekend trips and such. I am going to try to keep the SV for a track / aggressive riding bike, so I am really looking for something that I can comfortably soak up miles and miles of twisty roads at a slighty relaxed pace.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Comfy soak-up miles bikes, eh? How much Money do you have to spend?

If you're on a budget, have a look-see at the Suzi V-Strom 650 - they can be had for under $6,000 brand new, and have a flat-out terrific seating position. Cons : it's a tall bike, so it catches wind readily. And it's... really tall, if you're under 5'8", don't apply unless you really like standing your bikes up on one tippie-toe.

If you want sport, the VFR is a good way to go... I rode one, myself, and was very impressed despite it being an older, 750cc model. Despite its aggressive seating position, it was incredibly comfortable and very smooth. I'd have a tough time picking between the new VFR800s and a Triumph Sprint ST. The Sprint has a pretty beefy motor, moreso than the VFR, but isn't quite as compliant witht he suspension. The Sprint also looks the shit, too. Check out the triple undertail exhaust - it's impossible not to fall in love with. But both of these are $10,000+ bikes.

A Katana also has a very agreeable seating position, despite being heavier, clunkier, more crude, and with poorer brakes than either of the above. However, it is comfy, it is bomb-proof, and it is cheap - under $6000 at most dealers for a brand new 600, and only about $500 more for the much better 750 variant.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
clearwaterms said:
well, I am not going to purchase a bike until next spring (currently in my second season) and I am truely looking for a do it all motorcycle. I love to commute, but would and take the weekly twisty trip, but also, would like to get into more touring. Weekend trips and such. I am going to try to keep the SV for a track / aggressive riding bike, so I am really looking for something that I can comfortably soak up miles and miles of twisty roads at a slighty relaxed pace.
Then I agree with RacerX - VFR should be high on your list.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I got a Katana 750 that might right up your alley....let me know if interested.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
the vfr gets my vote, it fits the criteria for what you are looking for in a bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts