Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm about to buy a brand new 2004 r6 silver flame job, i must say i'm a bit scared...havent rode one yet... i hear there docile up to 7kish....the more i keep reading..looks like the 04 gsxr might be a better buy...does it sit higher than the r6?

ps: dont flame me plz...i'm not buying no 250cc,500cc..its my life i'll decide what i buy and ride thx!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Why did you make two threads about it? nah im j/k I know your excited. I personally have never sat on a gixxer but the R6 has an aggresive seat so you really should go sit on all of the bike you are considering. Becareful with the R6 if you get it, it is quick, and becareful with how you use the throttle. I would also advice you to take the MSF course and buy proper gear so you "up" the chances of survival. Good luck with it, and be safe.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i wouldn't call it "docile" it actually has a lot of power in the lower RPMs

if you haven't ridden anything it will be the fastest vehicle you've ever operated

be carefull, u should at least learn the basic operation on a POS bike and take MSF, new fairings cost a lot and your life costs more

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with Ca$h...go sit on all of the bikes you are considering, and buy the one that fits you best. The specs on all of them are too similar to bother comparing tenths of seconds in magazine tests. Also, the attitude that "its my life I'll decide what I buy and ride thx!" is ridiculously selfish. What about all of your family and friends that could potentially have to bury you or watch you suffer from life altering injuries? With that attitude you seem to be in more of a position of "i'll decide what I buy and crash thx!" But you said, its your life so do what you can to protect yourself (gear, MSF) and go sit on all of the bikes you are interested in, then make your choice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ca$h said:
Why did you make two threads about it? nah im j/k I know your excited. I personally have never sat on a gixxer but the R6 has an aggresive seat so you really should go sit on all of the bike you are considering. Becareful with the R6 if you get it, it is quick, and becareful with how you use the throttle. I would also advice you to take the MSF course and buy proper gear so you "up" the chances of survival. Good luck with it, and be safe.

i have sat on the r6 and 600rr the r6 feels better to me..i get more feet dwn....i'm gonna take the MSF coarse, actually you have to here to get your license....i've owned 2stroke dirtbikes before...i plan on babying it till i get comfy...my buddy just bought a sportbike 02zx6r, and he dont even know how to use the clutch right..but he does fine...hes aware of the power and goes slow...i'm way more experienced than him..riding bikes in general...so i think i'll be fine

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well that is good, I am guessing your friend hasn't takin the MSF if he can't operate the clutch.....

Good luck to you, and enjoy your bike:) Post some pics when ya get her too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ca$h said:
Well that is good, I am guessing your friend hasn't takin the MSF if he can't operate the clutch.....

Good luck to you, and enjoy your bike:) Post some pics when ya get her too.

no he did....he has that temp license.....its his 1st time on any bike....i have dirtbike background...plus i drive manuals everyday

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nate Dogg said:
I agree with Ca$h...go sit on all of the bikes you are considering, and buy the one that fits you best. The specs on all of them are too similar to bother comparing tenths of seconds in magazine tests. Also, the attitude that "its my life I'll decide what I buy and ride thx!" is ridiculously selfish. What about all of your family and friends that could potentially have to bury you or watch you suffer from life altering injuries? With that attitude you seem to be in more of a position of "i'll decide what I buy and crash thx!" But you said, its your life so do what you can to protect yourself (gear, MSF) and go sit on all of the bikes you are interested in, then make your choice.

no..but i been here before..and i know the responses to someone who wants a ss as a 1st streetbike

as far as family i dont have any...well none that i speak to anyway...just my girl is important

·
Registered
179 Posts
Gixers are a little more leaned forward as far as sitting position. For some people that can be uncomfortable. Gixers are a more point and go bike in the corners, whereas the R6 is very snappy and lighter. Since you have a dirtbike background you might like the snappiness of the R6, the Gixer might feel to heavy for you. On the docile aspect of power, it is still faster than any car out there, and can very easily get you in trouble.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Power isn't the problem.

The problem is that you LACK any survival skill needed on a streetbike.

There are TONS of things that can get you killed out there, power being one of the least important ones. Brakes, fast steering, agresive geometry, all of those won't let you blink before the bike has reacted to your input, correct or incorrect, the bike doesn't care, it will do whatever it is asked to do.

Combine an excelent brake system, incredibly fast steering and a car cuting you on a freeway and you are in for disaster, either from trying to avoid it, locking a wheel, combined wrong inputs, whatever.

Power takes time to build up, it isn't like twist the throttle, bam, instant 15k rmps. But brakes don't grab a handfull of brakes and instant wheel lockup. Steering is pretty much like brakes, once the bike starts turning you must know what you are doing if you try to change it, if not you will upset the bike and probably lose control.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the great ESKIMO said:
he asked for no flaming and i agree. check out the gixxer. it has a little more low-end but if you take it easy, theres no problem. dont worry about speed, they all have it.

i'm gonna go sit on 1 tomarrow and see if it feels comfy....i'm not worried about speed...i plan i just cruising my town....prob wont even end up on the highway

after seeing my friend ride his bike....and dont know what hes doing..but he stays off the throttle....i'm sure i'll be fine

ps: i'm 28 and have no plans on showing off or acting stupid

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the great ESKIMO said:
i know a lot of people that started out on a 600. trust me, you'll wanna do more than cruise on any bike. good luck on the bike.

thx man ;)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mach said:
i'm gonna go sit on 1 tomarrow and see if it feels comfy....i'm not worried about speed...i plan i just cruising my town....prob wont even end up on the highway

after seeing my friend ride his bike....and dont know what hes doing..but he stays off the throttle....i'm sure i'll be fine

Assuming you have 12+ years of road time at this point in your life, I'd get the R6. Yamaha builds a great bike and for a beginner, that docile low-end may be what you need if you are torn between these two bikes. Just respect the bike and it's power and you just might come outta this alive! :D :D

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm not flaming!

What I'm trying to do is to explain him what makes a bike newbie unfriendly!

As I've already said, the problem IS NOT THE THROTTLE!!!

The problem may not be you. But what are you going to do when faced to a pothole at highway speeds, a moron cuting you off, someone taking a turn without seeing you, a speedbump that you didn't saw, cold tires, oil on the pavement, greasy paint on the pavement, wet pavement (plus oil, paint, etc).

As I've already said, there are TONS of things out there that can get you killed EASILY. Many of them are unavoidable, but most of them are avoidable, you must learn how to avoid them, evasive maneouvers, the apropiate reactions, control the bike on a bad situation (like a tank slapper after a pothole), how to stay calm under such situations (to avoid making it even worse).

In most of those situations the power isn't going to make it worse, but fast steering, fast leaning and extremely responsive brakes will make it worse if used incorrectly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
if you are gonna take it so slow why do u need the newest fastest model out there, what everyone is tryin to tell you is that if it's your first bike u really should get a shitty bike to learn all your mistakes cause it's so common for a new person to lay it down. it just happens all the time.

but if u insist theres nothin we can do, good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chesus said:
if you are gonna take it so slow why do u need the newest fastest model out there, what everyone is tryin to tell you is that if it's your first bike u really should get a shitty bike to learn all your mistakes cause it's so common for a new person to lay it down. it just happens all the time.

but if u insist theres nothin we can do, good luck

if i did it that way..i'd never buy a bike....i preffer buying new...because you never know what the bike has been threw or how it was taking care of

only the ss`s appeal to me...and i go threw cars like crazy...trying to sell a car or a bike can be a pain in the ass

·
Registered
765 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
I'm not flaming!

What I'm trying to do is to explain him what makes a bike newbie unfriendly!

As I've already said, the problem IS NOT THE THROTTLE!!!.

Yes, it is. My bike is quite spunky, and while it wont just randomly loop on ya from too much throttle. However, it is easy to overgas on the exit of a turn and find yourself singing the lowside blues, if you're lucky. If ur not, you'll panic, back off, the tire will grab again, and its high side for you, have a nice trip.

Anyway, awesome bikes, be careful and good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Mach said:
only the ss`s appeal to me...and i go threw cars like crazy...trying to sell a car or a bike can be a pain in the ass
Well hopefully you won't have to go through the pain in the ass chore of selling a wrecked bike.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts