Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 20+ years I am going to be getting back on and riding.

I have set my heart set on a 08/09 600rr. I love the way they look and feel as I have ridden one around the neighborhood before. Not going to go crazy on it but want the power there if I need/want it.

Me and both my sons will be riding together. I am coming from a motoX/GP background. I raced 80-250's on dirt and the 250's on Amateur GP locally in GA and Alabama back in the 90's. The last time I rode I was coming over a berm and the flag guy way talking to some skank that was not even suppose to be near the track. So when i jumped there was a guy at the bottom and he saw me, dropped, and ran.
Well I had almost cleared it but hit the front tire, flipped a few times, and as I was trying to crawl to the side got ran over. My helmet was cracked, chest protector was busted, knew and ankle was messed up, shoulder dislocated, and a concussion. Needless to say I quit racing.

So after the years I missed riding, A LOT. I felt that urge to get on and ride just to be riding. Well now I am 38 and the urge is just to strong. I figure at this age now I am past the crazy riding plus the insurance is cheaper...lol

I hope to meet some riders in Tampa that would not mind riding the back roads and having fun just riding. Then stop for a good cold beer!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Welcome back,
I took the same life preserving vacation from the street myself.Bought a new 2007 CBR600R and found I had come back at just the right time!

CBR600RR & 2008 CBR1000RR had just had major design changes and I've been riding the wave ever since:2009 Repsol,2012 tricolor and now a 2015 Repsol SP. They still go,stop and,turn fast but,the Honda is the tamest and for me the most enjoyable to ride!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome back,
I took the same life preserving vacation from the street myself.Bought a new 2007 CBR600R and found I had come back at just the right time!

CBR600RR & 2008 CBR1000RR had just had major design changes and I've been riding the wave ever since:2009 Repsol,2012 tricolor and now a 2015 Repsol SP. They still go,stop and,turn fast but,the Honda is the tamest and for me the most enjoyable to ride!
Enjoy!
Glad I am not the only one. I just talked my wife into letting me get a dirt bike as well. However, she was kinda against it after I just spent $2000 on mountain bikes but that was the reason I wanted to get a dirt bike again. Just have to find places to ride when I do get it.

The changes is the big reason I wanted to go with an 08. I will have to take my time getting used to it. I will not be racing again that is for sure even though I will have that itch. You can never get rid of that.

They just had a story in the news that freaked my wife out. 2 people on a Cruiser were stopped at a red light and a truck hit them from behind and killed them both. I keep telling her that I was shot at, IEDs going off, people hunting us, and dealing with toxic chemicals and I am still here. What do you tell your significant other when she worries?

NEWS STORY

·
Registered
848 Posts
She's gonna worry no matter what ya ride and where ya ride. ever since my TD wreck at Road America in 07, she gets quite twitchy. It's harder for her to let me go ride when conditions are not perfect (and I used to ride year round). She can't be as bad now that she has her own bike. I keep telling her I'm going back to the track. she's not too happy about that.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Welcome back to the Fold!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think she has softened up a bit now that my daughter in law wants to get one. She still does not like the idea that I might ride to work on it. I75 gets real crazy in the mornings and around 4:30 in the afternoon. Hell, I almost get hit everyday driving to work in the civic. Going Saturday with my oldest son to check out gear and bikes. Wife wants total cost as she is like a warden of the funds...it's her precious! Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow..., I don't feel so alone now...

Started riding 37 years ago. Sold the Laverda Jota 1000 in early 90's and spent half my time overseas. Started into riding again in Delhi, India (working on a biodiesel motorcycle project there), but nothing here in the US. Thailand, Taiwan, etc. (love how people ride there). So this is the longest stretch I've been FF (female-free) and damned if I didn't get the itch back to be in the wind (raced AFM in the early 80's, rode across the country back in '86).

Bought a 1994 total POS FZR600, went through it end to end (helps having a machine shop in my garage) and already itching for acceptable riding weather.

So after pretty much a 20-something year hiatus, I'll be back on too, YEAH!!!

Funny thing is, I've never been "old" and am younger than most "youngsters," weird...

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Glad to see so many folks getting back on bikes and coming to our forum. Welcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after vacation and a few months of going crazy at work, my wife told me last night on the phone that this Saturday, when she gets back from Texas, we can go and look at motorcycles! I about fell out in the floor. I had to ask her if she has been drinking and she said no but she did get me a present. She sent me a pic of a bottle of Firestone TX whiskey.

After that I had to ask, ok WTF did you do that you shouldn't have? She assured me she didn't do anything but she knows that I have been craving getting another bike and because I have been working like a mad man that I deserve it...Holy Crap!

So I have been thinking, why do I need a 600rr or R6? I don't really. I am mostly going to be driving to work on the Highway for 30 miles each way, sitting in Tampa traffic most of the time, driving in the city to clients, and on occasion riding the back road area and maybe trips up to ATL.

So opinions, yes I know they are like A**Holes and everyone has one and they all stink, but just trying to get a good idea of what I can expect. I am now looking at a CBR500, 650's from all brands, and yzf600. Any others I should be looking at? Comfort and reliability are key, speed not so much but I do want to be able to hit 80 without it putting a strain on the bike. I am 260lbs so a little power to move this mass would be great.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My wife didn't like the thought of me on a bike until I increased my life insurance. Then she became thrilled with the idea....

Given the amount of commuting you'll be doing, have you considered a sport tourer? A buddy has a Yamaha FJR and loves it. Comfortable on long rides and in traffic, but is still quick and has decent handling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife didn't like the thought of me on a bike until I increased my life insurance. Then she became thrilled with the idea....

Given the amount of commuting you'll be doing, have you considered a sport tourer? A buddy has a Yamaha FJR and loves it. Comfortable on long rides and in traffic, but is still quick and has decent handling.
I haven't' thought of one. I just looked at a few near me online. It looks like a big bike compared to others but that may just be the photos. Does not look like it would be as nimble.

Still I will put it on my list to check out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Been there. First in '83. Re-started in '86, I think. Then sorta quit again from '98 to '02. Rode a little but never bought a bike. Then again in '08. Had a nasty and thought I was getting too old. Started again in '12.
My suggestion is to pretend you have never ridden and restart the entire process. Find a parking lot where there is room and learn your clutch_foot/brake=hand, gas over. It won't take long and you will be glad of it. Then ride around a bit in the suburbs. Get your SA back in shape. You have the experience to be a safe rider, you just need to re-establish your muscle memory so you can use that experience instead of thinking about working the controls.
IMHO, if you are off a bike for a few years you tend to forget that a motorcycle is not a car. The reflexs you learned have been replaced by 'car' reflexes, which can get you killed on a bike. Avoid traffic until you get your bike reflexes back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Been there. First in '83. Re-started in '86, I think. Then sorta quit again from '98 to '02. Rode a little but never bought a bike. Then again in '08. Had a nasty and thought I was getting too old. Started again in '12.
My suggestion is to pretend you have never ridden and restart the entire process. Find a parking lot where there is room and learn your clutch_foot/brake=hand, gas over. It won't take long and you will be glad of it. Then ride around a bit in the suburbs. Get your SA back in shape. You have the experience to be a safe rider, you just need to re-establish your muscle memory so you can use that experience instead of thinking about working the controls.
IMHO, if you are off a bike for a few years you tend to forget that a motorcycle is not a car. The reflexs you learned have been replaced by 'car' reflexes, which can get you killed on a bike. Avoid traffic until you get your bike reflexes back.
Thank you for the tip. I didn't think of that. So I went and checked out the FZ6r, F4i, 500r, and another 600rr. While I loved the response from the 600rr it did not meet what I wanted. I don't see myself going 100+ miles on it at a time.

The 500r just didn't have the pep I wanted but I did like the comfort.

The F4I was nice but for the price and the years it had I pushed it to the bottom of the list.

The FZ6r's I looked at I loved the way I sat on it. It wasn't too aggressive on the throttle response, and it was a 2015 for right at the same price as the others with less miles.

I am not familiar with the reliability of it though. I have had Honda's and also my new car I have is a Honda. My son's car I bought him is a Honda. I know they are known to be almost bullet proof but how are the Yamaha's vs Honda in that aspect?

Also just now I am going to check out a Ninja 650r. It looks to be a good price and the insurance is on par. The Honda as of right now are low on the pole. So right now it is the FZ6R vs Ninja 650r. However, I have read that the FZ6R is the bastard child of the FZ6. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I ride an FZ-6s. For me, it is perfect. 85$ insurance this year and The tank before this one I got 261 miles out of 3.9 gallons. So it is economical to operate. I have owned it 2 years and the one problem I have had was a leaky fork seal. That would be my fault. I put a 520 conversion kit on her and now the front end pops up if I am not paying attention.
My pet peeve with yamaha is the little screws they use to hold on the plastic and the factory grease. The screws are just too cheap. If you look at them crossed eyed they strip out. The factory grease is "Lithum" based. I think "Lithum" is Japanese for chicken fat. I'm slowly replacing the chicken fat with ELP-2, which is a schedule IV grease and is definately overkill.
I have the 's' model, with 98hp from the factory. I have done all the bolt on power bumps so I figure I'm getting at least 100 at the rear wheel. That is enough to get me past 150, which is fast enough for an old geezer.
Any Jap bike (ricer) built this century will be reliable. Just find one that fits. I almost sold mine and bought an '08 600rr last winter. No reason beyond the rr was on CL at 1800$. KBB had it at 4300 so it looked like a good deal. I was having problems shifting (big feet) and thought that would help. Instead I bought some Rizoma rear sets. That helped the shifting but now I have trouble finding neutral. I figure I just need more practice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the 's' model, with 98hp from the factory. I have done all the bolt on power bumps so I figure I'm getting at least 100 at the rear wheel. That is enough to get me past 150, which is fast enough for an old geezer.
I cannot find a 6s around here for sale. I don't have a desire to go that fast. However, I would like to have a good acceleration from say 60 to 80/90 or 75 to 90 to pass on the highway quickly. Too many people in Fla think the left lane is the slow lane and when you try to pass they get a case of the ass and want to speed up to stop you from passing.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I cannot find a 6s around here for sale. I don't have a desire to go that fast. However, I would like to have a good acceleration from say 60 to 80/90 or 75 to 90 to pass on the highway quickly. Too many people in Fla think the left lane is the slow lane and when you try to pass they get a case of the ass and want to speed up to stop you from passing.
Gears. I have stock ratios on mine. It is quick as anything from 20 to 60, IF the RPMs are up. 20mph is about 4 or 5 K in 1st. The 60 to 80 (passing gear) is not all that great. You need to be in second gear wound tight and sneak by them.
Numbers by ear. The s has an instrument panel designed to be illegible during daylight hours. Looks purrrrty at night though. The S2 has a better instrument cluster. There should be lots of S2's around. The r has a spaghetti frame and half the horsepower. Marketing ploy. Yamaha wanted $ from the young boys that HAD to have a 600. Didn't know enough about it to know there are 600's and then there are 600s.
Always see them here. "Should I get a R6 or a Ninja 600 for my first bike. "
We tell them a 250 but they are 'special snowflakes' and see no problem with facing Nolan Ryan in their first at bat. Only Nolan won't kill them as fast as a R6 will.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gears. I have stock ratios on mine. It is quick as anything from 20 to 60, IF the RPMs are up. 20mph is about 4 or 5 K in 1st. The 60 to 80 (passing gear) is not all that great. You need to be in second gear wound tight and sneak by them.
Numbers by ear. The s has an instrument panel designed to be illegible during daylight hours. Looks purrrrty at night though. The S2 has a better instrument cluster. There should be lots of S2's around. The r has a spaghetti frame and half the horsepower. Marketing ploy. Yamaha wanted $ from the young boys that HAD to have a 600. Didn't know enough about it to know there are 600's and then there are 600s.
Always see them here. "Should I get a R6 or a Ninja 600 for my first bike. "
We tell them a 250 but they are 'special snowflakes' and see no problem with facing Nolan Ryan in their first at bat. Only Nolan won't kill them as fast as a R6 will.
I am going to be heading out and trying a few more. I just got back from trying out the Ninja and for some reason I hated it. It just did not feel right to me. The 600 I tried just seemed too low powered and I did the roll-on from 60-80. It was slower and seemed to hesitate before going than anything I have tried so far. I think it was the bike itself and not the model but having never been on a ninja 600 I was not sure and it put me off. I know it is not fair to compare it to the 600rr I tried but still it was just bad!

I will be trying out an R6, SV650 (Full fairing), another 600rr, a nice F4i, and an interceptor today after work.

Now I see why nobody goes shopping with me. I am that guy who stands in the product aisle and compares every product to each other. Hell, it took me 15 minutes to decide on Roundup for my weeds vs others LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went out on lunch and tested a few more. I liked the R6, a lot. Not sure how practical it is though. I just got a call about an 09 FZ6...not the R. They just got it in and I will be going at 5 to check it out. It might be going home with me.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The R6 is a true crotch rocket. Chest on the tank, heels in your armpit riding position. My brother the HD guys says watching a crotch rocket rider makes him think of a monkey fookin a clorox bottle.
IIRC, there are Several Ninja 600's. A 599cc, a 636cc and then the 650r. The 650r is a twin. The 599 and 636 are I-4's. The 650r is considered a 'training bike. For those who feel insulted at the thought of a 250 or 300 cc motorcycle to learn on.
Maybe the best part of SBN is the sub forums by brand. You can find out what is up with the Ninja 600 there. Lots of experts, which I am not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts