Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember from the last version of SBN that I was looking at a 97 FZR. That bike wasn't well taken care of and the guy was still asking $3500. Well, a 1990 FZR600R showed up in the paper today and I called on it. Here's some info on it from the ad: "Factory pro speed mods: timing advance, stainless nozzels, titanium jets. New: mikuni carbs, rear tire, front/rear brakes, headlights, interstate battery, carbon fiber front fender and more!" It's all black with no decals except the tank. The right side fairing is held on by zip ties because it was ripped off by a car on the freeway. It's got 20K miles on it and runs great. I'll have pics tomorrow when I get it home.
After riding a dual sport for almost a year, this bike is too much fun :headbang . I got it for $2,000. I can't wait to ride it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Congrats on the bike. $2k seems a little high for that year/mileage FZR600, but since you're in the middle of the season, I'm sure good bikes are at a premium out in CA.

Some things to watch out for on the bike: weak clutch, clunky transmission and a weak voltage regulator (don't use higher wattage bulbs).

Also, if you need new tires, get Bridgestone BT014s in 110/70/17 (stock size) for the front and 150/60/18 (+1 size) for the rear. Don't try to put on any tire wider than 150... you'll run into clearance and tire pinching problems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew about the common problems and this bike has none of those 3. It needs a new front tire, but the back is the largest that will fit and has decent tread for now. Everything seems fine on it except for a lose left footpeg (I couldn't tighten it).
As for the price, Kelly Blue Book in my area was $2175. I was looking for a stock bike (especially exhaust) and this bike is, except for the new carbs and carb mods. The previous owner put over $3K into it and sold it for what he said was blue book. I know you never get your money back when selling, but he did some work to the bike, not neglect it.
It seems like bikes are cheaper out of CA. I just sold my 29K mile 92 KLR650 dual sport for $1500.
Plus, we can ride year round here... and the roads are worth riding.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The price from Kelly's Blue Book assumes that the bike is in good working order and doesn't need any repairs.

In any case, I don't want to rain on your parade... I got such an awesome deal on my FZR600 that I got spoiled. I bought it in 2001... it was a '97 with 2000 miles on it. Besides needing a new windscreen, the bike was immaculate. I ended up replacing the tires about a month afterwards because the front one was cupped, and I got a screw in the rear. I paid $2800 for it.

Anyway, enjoy the bike... it's alot of fun for a design that's 15 years old.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just got a 1996 FZR600 with 710 miles for $3000. It is in immaculant shape. All i had to do in throw in some new spark plugs. Now it runs great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratrulations on the purchase deffinatly check out the FZRarchives I think there is a few members from there that post here such as 93FZR1K, and myself. I was really surprised at how much is available for upgrades for these bikes. (never mind I just realized I have seen you over there Laserb)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Crispy2k4 said:
I just got a 1996 FZR600 with 710 miles for $3000. It is in immaculant shape. All i had to do in throw in some new spark plugs. Now it runs great.
Great! Sounds like you got an awesome deal... good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Proud owner of a 94' FZR1000... I love this bike!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts