Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm in the U.S. Army here in Germany.

Iv been lurking around your forums for sometime now and im looking to get a bike.

Before i go into to much detail. The bike i want is a Kawasaki Ninja zx-14
Yes i know it is a powerful bike for a noobie. But I am a very careful driver and what not.
But most of all its becoming winter and all i will be doing on it is pretty much riding it around the training course for about 7 months to get the jist of things before I actually take it out anywhere.

My thing is i would just like some tips on gear and what not yall think i may need. And if tips in general.

Im already set on this bike ( I do have familiarity with shift and what not cause i used to ride around on dirt bikes alot before i came into the army.)
Now i dont wish to be a speed deamon yet but when I actually trust myself enough on a bike.

Also iv sat on one of these bad boys and drove it around the lot and really fell in love with it. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol now keep in mind i wont be driving on the street anytime soon cause the course is just around the block and a empty street.

Like i said it would be around 7 months before i actually go out in the street with one of these things cause germany's winter weather is not biking weather in my books just slow and good learning weather on a practice course.

·
Registered
941 Posts
lol now keep in mind i wont be driving on the street anytime soon cause the course is just around the block and a empty street.

Like i said it would be around 7 months before i actually go out in the street with one of these things cause germany's winter weather is not biking weather in my books just slow and good learning weather on a practice course.
Have you taken the MSF? I had read on here about some awsome motorcycle courses in Germany.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what ill be taking during the next 7 months each class is about 200-700 euro. I dont plan on being stupid with this thing.
My uncle was biking on his chopper and a sportbike actually clipped him my uncle walked away but the other dude broke quite a bit.

but yes im taking all the course the guy here offers.
I had a nice long talk with the guy and he told me once i get past the first 2-maybe 3 classes to go out and get the bike i really want and to store it there so the next classes will give me more of an idea on how to drive my specif bike.
He seems very knowledgeable and is very good willed. I asked him about the bike too and told me not to till i took the first couple of classes.
Whish is obviously the basic course and then the basic 2 course.
Then ill have my bike for basic 3 and 4 they offer and will more than likely take all the advanced classes there too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sounds like you got it figured out and doing it smartly. Def get good gear, tons of info on this site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you
i thought i would be getting flamed for something like this to be honest.
But i (no offense to anyone) have the theory learn with the best to handle the best.
In other words take the best you can get slowly learn it over the course of a couple years so when you save up enough money you know what you can handle when you really learn it.

but if anyone knows the conversion for euro and the US dollar right now the euro is deffinitly pimping out the US dollar on every corner.

but you cant pay enough for saftey!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Although taking it safe by buying gear and doing the msf course is a good start, I don't think I would ever in my life recommend someone the ZX-14 as a first bike. It's big, heavy bike that can really mess you up if you don't know what you're doing. Why not go with a beginner bike to get your skill level up a bit before undertaking something as dangerous as this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well thats why im going to be using their bikes there for the most part to learn and be abel to handle them.

The guy their said he will build me up.

After i talk to him on tueday ill come back with more info.

But i promise u that im not gonna hop on this bike and ride off.lol

ya gotta learn how to move before you can craw and learn how to crawl before you can walk and learn how to walk before you can run right?

step by step

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
ya gotta learn how to move before you can craw and learn how to crawl before you can walk and learn how to walk before you can run right?
all the more reason you should start out on a 250. you really should save yourself some heartache and start small and work up to the b***** bike...

s3aturnr

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
thank you
i thought i would be getting flamed for something like this to be honest.
But i (no offense to anyone) have the theory learn with the best to handle the best.
In other words take the best you can get slowly learn it over the course of a couple years so when you save up enough money you know what you can handle when you really learn it.

but if anyone knows the conversion for euro and the US dollar right now the euro is deffinitly pimping out the US dollar on every corner.

but you cant pay enough for saftey!
We're just tired of it. You can "respect the bike" and "learn with the best" and use your dirt bike experience all you want. It won't help you when you're riding around that block, goose the throttle a bit, and lost your balance. Here's a guy who had a hell of a lot more experience than you do. I know it won't help, but I feel obliged to post it.

KeS

·
Banned
911 Posts
We're just tired of it. You can "respect the bike" and "learn with the best" and use your dirt bike experience all you want. It won't help you when you're riding around that block, goose the throttle a bit, and lost your balance. Here's a guy who had a hell of a lot more experience than you do. I know it won't help, but I feel obliged to post it.

KeS
Glad to see someone not advocating the typical "hai, man, you sound level headed; just respect it and you'll be OK."

:beer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so i talked to the instructor to day and im getting a 600.
Went to the dealership and he help me pick one out.
which i guess is better than going with 1300 cc off the bat.
So since i got enough money im gonna buy the 600 with cash and put the money away so when im all good and ready i can go out and drop money down on a new bike later. right now im using 250s which are really really easy to handle right now but in about a month and a half ill be getting on the 600 to start the classes with it.

Yall convinced me :)

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
the only thing you buy a 1000-1400cc motorcycle for is for power/speeding, gimme a break.

get a 600, take MSF and TAKE YOUR TIME with it.
youll be glad you did as 600s are fast as hell nonetheless, and more nimble and fun that a beefy zx14

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
The bike i want is a Kawasaki Ninja zx-14
Yes i know it is a powerful bike for a noobie. But I am a very careful driver and what not.
I stopped reading after this.

Is this a joke.

We flame new riders for getting 600SS's all the time, and this guy talks about getting a ZX14.

·
John 18:33-37
4,016 Posts
Hopefully your CO is smart enough to tell you 'No way' on the 600.

You're 19, and as far as I can tell there is nothing about you that gives you special motorcycling talents.

Forget the 600SS and get something that is appropriate for a beginner rider.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They do have a tiered license system in Germany, but if you are getting it through the military, it is a moot point. You are actually getting US Army Europe license that the German's recognize as legal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts