Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~~
Hey all! I'm a 34 year old guy from the land of cheese and beer.

This past summer I bought my first motorized two-wheeler: A 2013 Genuine Blur SS220i scooter. It was a bit of a snap decision (and a poor one) as I was intimidated by the aspect of shifting. Well, a few months later I took my MSF course after riding on my learner's for a few months and.....it felt pretty natural.

I've already talked to my local dealer about trading it in come early spring towards a motorcycle and I'm all good to go. Sure, I'm gonna lose my ass on it a bit, but I got nothing else to do in winter up here except work a little overtime here and there. :)

I've been looking at all the starter bikes: Ninja 250/300/500, CBR250, and GS500F. Still pretty torn on which and it will heavily depend on what's available when I start shopping around. I've already discounted the CBR so the list got shorter. I haven't got to sit on a GS500 yet, but the bike looks like it's quite a bit larger than any of the others (could be an issue as I'm 5'6). Ninja 500's are a good bargain, but the looks leave a sour taste in my mouth. The 300 is fucking beautiful AND fuel injected, but of course, there's the price factor there on a new bike. A new Ninja 250 is still an option as my dealer will be discounting his stock when he gets the 300's in (pricing in the upper 3k's and still has some 2011 and 2012 models).

Looking to be a learner bike and an all-arounder. Weekend rides and commutes to work as my Factory is moving which turns my 20 minute commute into a 45+ one (20 miles or so of which is Freeway).

So, yeah. That was kinda long, I think, but there it is. Probably see me lurking about, but not posting a ton since I don't really have much to add to most of the conversations here (yet!). :)
~~

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Welcome to SBN! :twofinger

Read up on the stickies for new riders, I would suggest you get used, it's likely to get dropped a few times and you will eventually outgrow it. A used one will hold it's value and you won't make yourself sick if you do drop it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Welcome to SBN! :twofinger

Read up on the stickies for new riders, I would suggest you get used, it's likely to get dropped a few times and you will eventually outgrow it. A used one will hold it's value and you won't make yourself sick if you do drop it.
Totally F'n agree. not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when" ya drop it.... or Mother Nature is mean enough to step in and push your bike over for you, or maybe parking on nice new asphalt and your kickstand sinks right in and over it goes, or... i could go on an on.... but that would let you know too much. :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
~~
Don't worry F4s, I've read every sticky on every bike forum I've found in the last 4 months or so and read many, many articles geared towards beginning riding.

I'm curious about the whole 'you'll drop it' thing. Why do people say that, exactly? Or rather, why do new riders drop them? I haven't had any issues with my scoot (317 lbs dry weight) and these bikes aren't much heavier. The 250/500 ninja's i've sat have both felt like my Blur probably due to good balancing. They just feel longer. Plus I can flat foot all the ones I've sat on whereas I'm only on the balls of my feet on the Blur. Does it have something to do with the controls of the bike? Like new riders making clutching mistakes and what have you? Really just curious about that. Oh and I'll be carrying a puck, I'm not retarded. :p

One of the reasons I'm not worried about new is my local guy is going to give me more than other places I've contacted for my trade-in. He's going to give me around 2800 where the other place I've gone said 1500-2000. And it should be paid off (or nearly) by the time I make the transaction for a bike. The other thing is he doesn't carry many used bikes and there isn't anywhere else close to me. So, I either get to struggle my way home from the city on a purchased bike with no experience, or pay their 400 dollar fee to have it shipped (add that to my lower trade-in value bleh). I have no friends that ride and I have no trailer to transport. So those have all been factors as well.
~~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts