Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taravella.. a high school in Coral Springs, hired one of my classmates a few days ago for a Social Science position..

GREAT for her right?? Totally cool, thats awesome.. congrats, blah blah.. Im a bit jealous but whatever, gives me hope..

Then i learned yesterday... that.. she HASNT EVEN TAKEN THE SOCIAL SCIENCE subject area exam, which is REQUIRED to teach Social Science, in Florida.. WTF?!?!?!?!??!

She was studying for the exam in class last night, and I was like.. uhh didnt you already take that??

No! Im taking it Saturday..

and you got hired at Taravella??

Yeah why?

Umm.. you need to have passed that exam before you can teach..

Oh i know..

WTF?! It takes 30 days for the results to come back.. she hasnt taken ANY of the required exams yet for the state (professional education exam and the Social Science one..) and yet she already got hired..??

I took and passed those exams last year, and when I went to apply last year.. nobody would hire me because I didnt have any teaching experience.. (neither does she..) Soooo I subbed all last fall and this spring.. and worked as a teachers aide, even...

Ive passed out 20 something resumes to various schools... and i STILL cant get hired...even though Im qualified, and certified, and eligible.. AND have experience.. and yet.. this girl.. with NONE of the above.. already has a fucking job..

Im so pissed...

:(

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i mean.. im not asking for advice, just pissed ya know?? been trying to work with broward schools for over a year now.. and she walks in and gets hired...

·
wuka man
849 Posts
um....the minimum requirements to teach is that you have the "Official Statement of Status of Eligibility" from the state of florida approving you to teach in the subject area. You have 3 yrs to pass your subject area and professional exam to legitimize your status after you recieve said letter. In that three years you are alotted, you can be hired by any county as a full time teacher or substitute.

I didnt say what i said to rain on your parade but just to let you know that they can and have the right to do that. Sucks for you either way.

Have patience and it will all be worth it in the end. Getting pissed only makes the wait longer. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beafer said:
um....the minimum requirements to teach is that you have the "Official Statement of Status of Eligibility" from the state of florida approving you to teach in the subject area. You have 3 yrs to pass your subject area and professional exam to legitimize your status after you recieve said letter. In that three years you are alotted, you can be hired by any county as a full time teacher or substitute.

I didnt say what i said to rain on your parade but just to let you know that they can and have the right to do that. Sucks for you either way.

Have patience and it will all be worth it in the end. Getting pissed only makes the wait longer. Just my opinion.

Arghh.. that pisses me off.. :(

Ive been so annoyed with this school system for so long now, and have tried to be patient.. its getting harder and harder to do...

whatever..

not mad at you beaf... :(

either way, she still doesnt have any experience.. which.. they pretty much told me was the only reason i didnt get hired last year... either way i got fucked it seems.

·
wuka man
849 Posts
you know whats even more interesting.
That letter that they give you can say....you are only approve to teach "social studies", as example. But once you pass that exam and get into the school system (hell, you dont even need to be hired actually), you are pretty much set. Reason being, once they approve you and you pass said exam...its a free for all with the other subject areas. I.E you take and pass math, you are now a certified math teacher (and socail studies) despite not being initially approve by the state.
Its a good way to up your stock in the school system :D

Just dropping some info in case you didnt know.

·
Registered
820 Posts
:( That sucks. Maybe she knew somebody???

It seems odd to me that someone can get the "Official Statement of Status of Eligibility" and teach for up to 3 years before having to pass the exam to prove they can do it. If they never pass, it is 3 years that some unfortunate kids did not have a decent teacher for that subject. What does one have to do to get the "Official Statement of Status of Eligibility" for a subject area?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Ali, that sucks and I truly mean it. Maybe she knows someone in the system. I hope that is not how she got the job. When you drop off your information, do you talk to anyone at the school or do you just drop it off? It would be good if you could talk to someone and at least they would see you and be able to talk to you.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I tend to agree with 1trick.sometimes people get a hook up
and just *play the fool* so they dont get hated on.

Also the aplications are very objective to who is looking them over.
The person lookig over an an App could be leaving that position and say "oh what the hell Im leaving anyway" and stamp it approved.
While others will scrutinize it to the 10th degree.

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
it sucks all around! it not what you know but who you blow!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
AndromedaSS said:
Taravella.. a high school in Coral Springs, hired one of my classmates a few days ago for a Social Science position..

GREAT for her right?? Totally cool, thats awesome.. congrats, blah blah.. Im a bit jealous but whatever, gives me hope..

Then i learned yesterday... that.. she HASNT EVEN TAKEN THE SOCIAL SCIENCE subject area exam, which is REQUIRED to teach Social Science, in Florida.. WTF?!?!?!?!??!

She was studying for the exam in class last night, and I was like.. uhh didnt you already take that??

No! Im taking it Saturday..

and you got hired at Taravella??
Yeah why?
Umm.. you need to have passed that exam before you can teach..
Oh i know..

I'm so pissed...

Maybe she got the job by someone within.

·
Registered
14 Posts
maybe your resume just doesnt seem as attractive as some others. the way your resume is made has alot to do with getting hired, and ofcourse a lil bull shit wouldnt hurt either since everyone seems to be doing it.

·
Banned
383 Posts
Snowman said:
it sucks all around! it not what you know but who you blow!
Hey my wife did not blow anyone I think :eek:nfloor she just got hired by Broward she called the district and made sure she was eligable in there system and the lady she talked to said she would put her name out at a few schools, in 15 min she had a call and an interview for that day, she got hired on the spot, be patient and make sure everything is good at the district, also there is a job fair next week I believe I hear they hire like crazy at those. Good luck :beer

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
FLRacer 994 said:
maybe your resume just doesnt seem as attractive as some others. the way your resume is made has alot to do with getting hired, and ofcourse a lil bull shit wouldnt hurt either since everyone seems to be doing it.
That is so true. In college, they emphasized so much on the appearance of the resume, and the info provided.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
CHONCH said:
Hey my wife did not blow anyone I think :eek:nfloor she just got hired by Broward she called the district and made sure she was eligable in there system and the lady she talked to said she would put her name out at a few schools, in 15 min she had a call and an interview for that day, she got hired on the spot, be patient and make sure everything is good at the district, also there is a job fair next week I believe I hear they hire like crazy at those. Good luck :beer
Maybe Ali could talk to Jen and see if the process Jen took is that same Ali is taking.

and BTW: Tell Jen I said congratulations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my g/f is taking the eligibility exam this weekend...

then she'll be in the same boat as you, looking for a job as a teacher in broward county... wish her luck for me !

:)

·
wuka man
849 Posts
CHONCH said:
man....i couldnt get invited to those job fairs.... bastards :angry . said my subject was not critical :(

·
wuka man
849 Posts
Hobert said:
:( That sucks. Maybe she knew somebody???

It seems odd to me that someone can get the "Official Statement of Status of Eligibility" and teach for up to 3 years before having to pass the exam to prove they can do it. If they never pass, it is 3 years that some unfortunate kids did not have a decent teacher for that subject. What does one have to do to get the "Official Statement of Status of Eligibility" for a subject area?
to get such letter from FDoE, the requirements are:

A completed CG-10 application form (BACKGROUND Check)
$56.00 processing fee for each subject you request
Official transcripts showing all degrees and credits

Submitting these forms does not make you eligible though. You have to have a degree that qualifies (and hopefully verified) thats suited for teaching (Subjects) and have a clean background. The letter is just temporary until you complete your exams and so forth.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts