Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a season of storage in my basement all three of my helmets have a funky odor that I'd like to get rid of. Next fall I'm gonna keep my lids in a drier part of my home.

Any suggestions? Febreeze? Dry cleaners?

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
don't store them in the bathroom again... :)

I would just follow the manufactures recomemended cleaning procedures.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Buy a new Helmet :lol ..but febreeze will probably work..is it a mildew odor?? Sometimes that one won't come out.
See if you can remove the liner and clean and DRY it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, neither my Shoei RF 900 or cheapo Nolan have removable liners but my beat to hell AGV does.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I work at a pet store and we have this stuff called "natures miracle" its fucking great at getting out stains and odors. Its got these bacteria enzymes that get out stains and odors as it drys. The stuff is made to clean up cat/dog shit, piss, vomit and it works great. If you got a pet store near you, give it a try if fabreeze doenst' work. It comes in a white container with red letters.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
pwang said:
I'll try febreeze.

NO!!!! FOR the love of GOD DON'T FEBREEZE YOUR HELMET!!!!!!!

I tried that with my lid, my face broke out like shit where the cheekpads touched, I had to not wear the helmet for about two weeks so it would clear up. That's the only thing it could have been, as I had been off accutane from the dermatologist for 3 months when I did that. Just get a soapy rag and spray a little water in there, then scrub it as best you can and blow dry it. DON'T FEBREEZE

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
The answer is Urine. :pisson

Yes, I know it sounds gross, but urine comes out of your own body so it won't give you a rash - unless you already have a rash, in which case you shouldn't be handling you PP at all - see a doctor now.

Here's how it works, after a heavy night of drinking, go down first thing in the morning and relieve yourself in your oldest and cheapest helmet. Let it dry. A couple of days later, put your helmet on and wear it around for a few hours. By the time you get if off your head, the other "untreated" helmets won't seem so bad after all.

They call that "Shifting the paradigm." :neener

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Why not just give it a good wash...

...in the shower, give it a good soaking and use a mild shampoo, work it into the lining and then give it a good rinse. Leave the helmet somewhere warmish with circulating air and it'll take about 3 days to dry out.

Jobs a good 'un :)

I'm serious, I've been doing this for years when my lid gets a bit manky.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
.i have used febreeze and that worked well

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Before liners were removable I put some warm water inside the helmet with gentle detergent like women use in the sink then wash out the helmet. Rinse it out well and let it air dry. Seemed fine again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts