Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
Exactly, and steering dampers weren't designed to make your squid-like wheelie recoveries any easier. If you are going to get a damper use it for what it was intended.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
ive never been on a bike at super high speeds with out one. my friend who has a 600RR said when doin a stoppie on my bike that it didnt help that much. i plan one day to get an aftermarket one. thats after my bike gets as posered out with neon and stobes. damn, dont yall just love it!? :twofinger

I miss the days when just having a sportbike was cool :( Now everyone has to put clear tail lights, fancy two-color pipes, neon lights, LED's, chrome wheels, etc. Don't even get me started on FUR, snigg knows exactly how I feel about that :barf .... Does this piss anyone else off? I mean I've only been riding street for 7 years, and it's changed that much in those short years. I want it like the back in the days when everyone wanted the "Top Gun" bike, you bought it, enjoyed it, and didn't have to make it all "bling bling"

I'll never do a stupid mod like that on my bike, hell I've never even done flushmount blinkers. Remember people, FUNCTION OVER FORM is the way it should be. :D

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
Hagios said:
firefighter81 - Frankly, if someone doesn't think you're cool if you don't have chrome/dual color tailpipe/whatever then ignore them. That's obviously not the kind of person you are, so associating with them will only cause you a headache. Me, I think you should have the bike to please you. If it does that, it does its job (Which is what you seem to be saying, too).

This could explain why I don't have many "riding buddies" I mean I know alot of guys who ride, but I would never ride with them because they do this kinda stuff, and in my opinion are very much squids. I ride with people who are there for the ride, hell, most of the cruiser guys I know have a better attitude about riding than most of these punks who buy sportbikes, it's sad.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
Oh and a tank slapper is a hard violent wobbling that happens at high speeds. The front will turn back and forth and shakes very violently. It's scary.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
i got a gixxer for these reasons:
1. to pose
2. to drop my knee
3. to cruise
4. to get chicks
5. to run from the cops
6. to go on long trips
7. to stunt
8. to say "hey i got a crotchrocket"
9. im tryin to think of other stupid answers...
10. :twofinger

All you had to say is "Hey Jason, I'm one of those guys, so if we ever meet, we probably shouldn't ride together" :twofinger

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
TJT said:
Fact is, they DO make squid-like wheelie recoveries easier, and they'll save your life.

BTW, quit acting like you're the shit because you're probably not. The best "stunters" I know are also the best twisties/track riders. Granted, they're not as good as those stunters in videos, but they can pull some nice tricks. Ever see Rossi ride over the finish line on one wheel and standing on the seat? Then he'll do doughnuts standing beside his bike. What a squid eh!
"Oh, I'm a pure motorcyclist, I don't do squidly crap like wheelies and stoppies. Of course I could do the sickest highchair you've ever seen, but I'm a REAL rider." Yeah, right....

I never said they don't make wheelie recoveries easier, I said that's not what they were DESIGNED for, read a little closer before you defend your squidliness. TJT, you can think whatever you want to about me. I am a motorcycle PURIST, I ride them the way they were meant to be ridden. I am all about function over form, if it makes my bike faster/handle better I will use it, if it's something stupid, I won't use it. I've ridden with stuntaz before and granted, I've met a couple who are all around good riders, but most of them do wheelies for 2 miles, but couldn't take a corner if their life depended on it.

As far as Rossi doing wheelies, he does them as a CELEBRATION, hell, I placed 5th (my best finish) in one of my recent races and I did a victory wheelie. But you will never see me getting out on my Duc doing wheelies in front of the local high school girls or anywhere else on a public street for that matter. I never said I was GOD, I just know that I am alot better rider and have a better attitude about it than 97% of the people on the road.

And, pardon my ignorance, but what is a "high chair?" :confused:

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
TJT said:
That's when you sit on the tank with your legs over the front of the bike and wheelie.

Read the last 5 lines that I edited into my last post...
People are going to wheelie no matter what you say, and this guy is giving good advice.

Every one of those guys you mention was doing something that they shouldn't have been doing, period. Sure steering dampers make landing easier, but all I said is that wasn't it's original intent. The original designer wasn't sitting around saying "hummmm my wheelie landings are getting dangerous, I should make something to make them safer" I do reccomend getting a steering damper, just I'd prefer to see them used the way they were meant to be.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
Hey Jason, if we ever meet i would like to ride! i ride with this one guy who gets on my nerves! but the sport has got me just to tell him shut up and we ride! :twofinger its more fun to have another rider to ride with, rather than riding solo!

Honestly when it comes down to it, I will ride with anyone until I decide that they are doing things I don't agree with, I just PREFER to ride with someone who has a similar riding style to myself. So if we do ever run into each other back in the US, yeah I probably would go riding with you.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
Bikes have two wheels for a reason. Keep them on both wheels. If you ride just to do stunts that involve 1 wheel (most of them) you are riding for the wrong reason. Period. I try to give good advice, I know most people won't listen to me, but if I can talk just one squid out of doing something stupid, my mission is accomplished.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
:lol If you EVER see me on that site, hell has officialy frozen over.

I do apologize about being so opinionated, it's just how I am. I have loaded countless people onto medivac after accidents and zipped up a few body bags because of people doing stupid things on motorcycles (to be specific, wheelies). I've also been to bad accidents where the rider was doing nothing wrong. It just bugs me that people think it's harmless to do wheelies and all that, when you get up on one wheel you are doubling your chances losing traction, and landing is dangerous as well, I've seen it all too many times.

Again, I apologize for forcing my opinion on people, but I do know a little something about what happens to some people who choose not to listen (like my good friend who I personally zipped up the body bag on who died because he wanted to do wheelies)

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
So don't cuss me out, ignore me, most of you newbies ignore me anyways, only the truley experienced riders listen to me and agree with me, I guess that's how it should be though.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
Racer X I think I should become your official sidekick :lol

We both think the same way and people ignore both of us, even though we are right about what we say.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
L8 Braker: I'll give you that, I do need to calm down, I guess I just let that kind of stuff bug me, I can deal with differing opinions, just not when it comes to motorcycles. I guess you could say motorcycles are my "kung fu" and I don't like it when people think differently than I do, I'll lay off as much as I can.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
My RS250 does perfectly fine without a damper, most of the well known amateur RS250 racers don't use dampers, the bike is THAT DAMN GOOD. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.