Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
woooo*wipes sweat off forehead* i just had a nasty tank slapper. i set down a 2nd gear stand up, pretty long one, and the bike went into a nasty tank slapper. got on the gas and it eased up a little, kept slappin and i stayed on the gas and rode out of it. i have no idea how i managed to ride out of it, but i did manage to stay on the gas(which i hear is the correct thing to do). 954's have a very light front end and i will definitely be investing in a steering damper. :eek:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
never had a nasty tank slapper. all i can say is i try not to pull on the bars to much...might pull it to the right when you set it down!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
snigg, :squid:

just playin.. glad to hear you're okay.. i need to get my hyperpro on my gixxer rebuilt. 125 bucks tho. :mad:

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
never had a nasty tank slapper. all i can say is i try not to pull on the bars to much...might pull it to the right when you set it down!
Your bike came with a damper from the factory.

·
Registered
533 Posts
ive felt my r6 headshake when the front end comes up or down but nothing violent, i just try not to deathgrip the bars and hopefully i will get a damper sometime

·
Registered
377 Posts
nig said:
Your bike came with a damper from the factory.
Not to jack this thread but how good are the stock Gixxer dampers?

·
Registered
681 Posts
No damper needed.......stop doing what caused it.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Exactly, and steering dampers weren't designed to make your squid-like wheelie recoveries any easier. If you are going to get a damper use it for what it was intended.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Kastivich said:
Not to jack this thread but how good are the stock Gixxer dampers?
ive never been on a bike at super high speeds with out one. my friend who has a 600RR said when doin a stoppie on my bike that it didnt help that much. i plan one day to get an aftermarket one. thats after my bike gets as posered out with neon and stobes. damn, dont yall just love it!? :twofinger

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
ive never been on a bike at super high speeds with out one. my friend who has a 600RR said when doin a stoppie on my bike that it didnt help that much. i plan one day to get an aftermarket one. thats after my bike gets as posered out with neon and stobes. damn, dont yall just love it!? :twofinger

I miss the days when just having a sportbike was cool :( Now everyone has to put clear tail lights, fancy two-color pipes, neon lights, LED's, chrome wheels, etc. Don't even get me started on FUR, snigg knows exactly how I feel about that :barf .... Does this piss anyone else off? I mean I've only been riding street for 7 years, and it's changed that much in those short years. I want it like the back in the days when everyone wanted the "Top Gun" bike, you bought it, enjoyed it, and didn't have to make it all "bling bling"

I'll never do a stupid mod like that on my bike, hell I've never even done flushmount blinkers. Remember people, FUNCTION OVER FORM is the way it should be. :D

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I hate to sound like a noob... But what is a tank slapper?

firefighter81 - Frankly, if someone doesn't think you're cool if you don't have chrome/dual color tailpipe/whatever then ignore them. That's obviously not the kind of person you are, so associating with them will only cause you a headache. Me, I think you should have the bike to please you. If it does that, it does its job (Which is what you seem to be saying, too).

·
Registered
130 Posts
954's don't have stock steering dampners BTW. Snigg I have a Scotts on my 954 and it's a great unit, easy install and alot of adjustments so you can find the one you line.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Hagios said:
firefighter81 - Frankly, if someone doesn't think you're cool if you don't have chrome/dual color tailpipe/whatever then ignore them. That's obviously not the kind of person you are, so associating with them will only cause you a headache. Me, I think you should have the bike to please you. If it does that, it does its job (Which is what you seem to be saying, too).

This could explain why I don't have many "riding buddies" I mean I know alot of guys who ride, but I would never ride with them because they do this kinda stuff, and in my opinion are very much squids. I ride with people who are there for the ride, hell, most of the cruiser guys I know have a better attitude about riding than most of these punks who buy sportbikes, it's sad.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Oh and a tank slapper is a hard violent wobbling that happens at high speeds. The front will turn back and forth and shakes very violently. It's scary.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
firefighter81 said:
This could explain why I don't have many "riding buddies" I mean I know alot of guys who ride, but I would never ride with them because they do this kinda stuff, and in my opinion are very much squids. I ride with people who are there for the ride, hell, most of the cruiser guys I know have a better attitude about riding than most of these punks who buy sportbikes, it's sad.

i got a gixxer for these reasons:
1. to pose
2. to drop my knee
3. to cruise
4. to get chicks
5. to run from the cops
6. to go on long trips
7. to stunt
8. to say "hey i got a crotchrocket"
9. im tryin to think of other stupid answers...
10. :twofinger

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
my natural instict would probably get me to release the throttle... hope i never have one

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
i got a gixxer for these reasons:
1. to pose
2. to drop my knee
3. to cruise
4. to get chicks
5. to run from the cops
6. to go on long trips
7. to stunt
8. to say "hey i got a crotchrocket"
9. im tryin to think of other stupid answers...
10. :twofinger

All you had to say is "Hey Jason, I'm one of those guys, so if we ever meet, we probably shouldn't ride together" :twofinger

·
Registered
308 Posts
Snigg, you're still setting them down crooked. The damper is only going to mask the problem, you'll still need remember lay them down straight. In any case, the 954 is notorious for needing a damper. So if you feel like getting it for the purpose of laying them down, then do it. It WILL be safer, but it won't resolve the problem which lies in the rider.....

Good job in keeping her up though! Riders need to remember to keep their arms loose and stay on a constant throttle. I'm not going to tell you how to ride dude, but atleast wear your gear man.... especially leather pants, gloves and boots. Ride safe.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
They also need to remember to keep the bike on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Exactly, and steering dampers weren't designed to make your squid-like wheelie recoveries any easier.
Fact is, they DO make squid-like wheelie recoveries easier, and they'll save your life.

BTW, quit acting like you're the shit because you're probably not. The best "stunters" I know are also the best twisties/track riders. Granted, they're not as good as those stunters in videos, but they can pull some nice tricks. Ever see Rossi ride over the finish line on one wheel and standing on the seat? Then he'll do doughnuts standing beside his bike. What a squid eh!
"Oh, I'm a pure motorcyclist, I don't do squidly crap like wheelies and stoppies. Of course I could do the sickest highchair you've ever seen, but I'm a REAL rider." Yeah, right....

I know of 3 guys around here that crashed in the last 2 years from tank slappers. None of them would have crashed had they had a steering damper. One guy died, one got very lucky and didn't even get hurt, and the last one had many injuries including a fractued skull.

The more people get steering dampers, the better, so quit bastardizing this guy's thread when he's offering such good advice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts