Sport Bikes banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I have to check the Triangle out next time
I couldn't find any decent pics (like these) when I was in Tellico last year and had heard it was a great ride that was only in need of a resurface
Watch out for gravel - it seemed to be plentiful when we ran it...

There is a store with patches and decals to commemorate...

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
North Carolina finally posted signs on US 129 prohibiting trucks just like Tennessee recently did. Its about time.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
It won't stop them. Sure they can get ticketed, but that is a risk some will take. 129 is a shortcut between points for many of them, which is why they do it in the first place - to save time/gas/money. They'd be foolish to try it on a weekend, as the Dragon is heavily patrolled then, but during the week they can and likely will still get away with it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Watch out for gravel - it seemed to be plentiful when we ran it...

There is a store with patches and decals to commemorate...
I ran that over a year ago. The further east we went the worse it got. There is mining in the area and the road kept degrading, gravel dirt, bad pavement. Big trucks were on the scene as well. 5yrs ago, it was really technical and a blast to run but my last visit made me think otherwise. Maybe by now the scene is better just don't expect Motorcycle Nirvana.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Post92: "In other news the TOTD website said most of the Devil's Triangle has been repaved."

I agree otherwise, the road was getting in bad shape - and with the mining I'd still expect debris. Not much traffic though, least in my experience.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Just read the weather forecast for the Deals Gap area for tonight. Snow showers???

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
What?

I suppose at elevation maybe. There was a hard freeze here a few days ago and I'm farther south with far less elevation. Recall the year it sleeted in May on the Cherohala?

Blew the dust off the 10r for the first time this season. Rode with a fast group of locals on the roads you and I did when you were down Jay. 2600 miles and stock rear is shot. Lol

Still working on those Q2s on the ZZR. One of the guys in our group had an 06 silver like yours. I talked to him about engine mods - he's done none at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Watching the first half of WSBK race #1 in Assen, uninterupted by stupid NASCAR coverage on the Speed channel. Thats to bad about Sykes he was running in front. Speed really needs to work on there MotoGP and SBK coverage. NASCAR bores me and IMO is over rated. Anyone can drive around in a left hand circle on four tires. It takes courage, skills, and being in shape to do what road racers do.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Awesome race in Jerez! Listen to Creamer when he pronounces it. I swear he says it so it sounds like 'Hereth' Maybe the guy is incapable of pronouncing the Z sound /shrug

Going to serious look at welding up rails for a set of Givi cases this fall. I have seen enough examples to know what I want, and I have a design already in mind. If I have to pay someone to help weld them up, I will make a couple sets and sell the others. This mod is long overdue.

I wish Chrisnack would send me the CAD info. He sort of disappeared. If we was interested in making money off them, he could have done something with the plans but as far as I know he never did. Givi discontinued the ZX7 rails they were modding to use on the ZZR :(

Moving to a Ninja 1000 or Concours would be nice, but insurance would go up considerably else I'd go that route.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Awesome race in Jerez! Listen to Creamer when he pronounces it. I swear he says it so it sounds like 'Hereth' Maybe the guy is incapable of pronouncing the Z sound /shrug

Going to serious look at welding up rails for a set of Givi cases this fall. I have seen enough examples to know what I want, and I have a design already in mind. If I have to pay someone to help weld them up, I will make a couple sets and sell the others. This mod is long overdue.

I wish Chrisnack would send me the CAD info. He sort of disappeared. If we was interested in making money off them, he could have done something with the plans but as far as I know he never did. Givi discontinued the ZX7 rails they were modding to use on the ZZR :(

Moving to a Ninja 1000 or Concours would be nice, but insurance would go up considerably else I'd go that route.
I like the idea of hard baggage for the ZZR. I like the Givi E360 cases. But I have only been able to find them in black. I would have to pay someone to paint the outer lids Galaxy Silver at a local body shop. I'll buy one from you. The rails/rack would need to be installed and uninstalled with ease, as I would only use them for road trips. The other thing that concerns me about mounting side cases is mounting them high enough to clear the Yoshimura exhaust. Hey did you ever hear anything from the guy on the ZRX forum about the allen screws for the carbs?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
No word back on the carb screws, but I figured with as few takers as we had he probably would pass on putting together the kit. I did a complete swap of all the phillips screws on the ZRX. All shiny SS allen heads now.

I was looking at E21s for the side (top load!) and V46 for the top, and fashioning rails to work and making a couple of sets while I was at it. I put in our local forum if someone would help me I could likely line up others interested so it would make it worth their time to build them. No takers yet :(

Side load bags can get interesting. David had those on his KLR, and opening one to get something means having to remove it and open it, else all the stuff falls out and you have to repack it anyway.

Looking to go with another insurance company, which may make it easier for me to get a full tourer. Insurance on three bikes is costing me an arm and a leg. For the money that goes out in insurance each month, I afford to make payments on two new bikes. :tremble

Going to still use soft bags on the other bikes, as I will only do shorter trips on those.

Looks like I may be up at Mo's on the 18th for that last weekend. I simply don't have much leave to spare at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I'm exhausted, drove a total of 1300 miles this weekend to south Georgia for grandmother's funeral. She was 95 yrs old. She died last Monday night. Got to see my family, but I'm glad to be home after driving 650 miles today.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'm exhausted, drove a total of 1300 miles this weekend to south Georgia for grandmother's funeral. She was 95 yrs old. She died last Monday night. Got to see my family, but I'm glad to be home after driving 650 miles today.
Sorry to hear that, but glad you made it down and back okay. What part of Georgia?

Reactions: ZZRrocket

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Switched from State Farm to Progressive.

Flo did me right - 4x the coverage on my 3 bikes, for roughly half what I was paying. It even covers 3k for gear and accessories, and those don't depreciate (replacement cost).

Added roadside assistance for about a dollar a month, and that will supplement my AMA coverage nicely - AND - here's the best part, my agent rides a Hayabusa. LOL

How cool is that?

Reactions: ZZRrocket

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Sorry to hear that, but glad you made it down and back okay. What part of Georgia?
My grandmother lived at Magnolia Manor in Americus, GA. The funeral was in Moultrie, GA where my grandfather was barried in 1989.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My grandmother lived at Magnolia Manor in Americus, GA. The funeral was in Moultrie, GA where my grandfather was barried in 1989.
Sorry for your loss. Hope she lived a great life!

Next time your down this was give me a call.... Im sure u got with in about 10 miles of me. Im only an hour from americus (i live in warner robins). have "family" there.

hope all is well and glad you made it safe!

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Sorry for your loss. Hope she lived a great life!

Next time your down this was give me a call.... Im sure u got with in about 10 miles of me. Im only an hour from americus (i live in warner robins). have "family" there.

hope all is well and glad you made it safe!
Thanks, Here's her obituary if your interested in reading it.

Albany Herald | Jean Wilkes McPhaul

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Chris came down to pickup a bike not terribly far from me and he and I rode yesterday afternoon - same roads you and I did Jay. He bought a Moto Guzzi V11. Neat bike - cafe racer retro look. Loads of torque from the v-twin. We swapped and he rode the ZRX for a bit.

Jay - He and I were talking that next year in let's see if Barber has a track day offering that everyone can make, you guys come down and stay with us for a night then onto Barber for the event. Can ride some local roads, etc. Natchez Trace Parkway is another trip we all should do...

Reactions: peoples1234
101 - 120 of 156 Posts