Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple of questions for ya!

1) When should you change your tires? Do you do the same test you would a car tire using a penny? (if the thread is below Lincoln's head, you need new tires). Or do you wait until the threat is basically gone?

2) Is this a good deal on a set of Metz Z6 including mounting/blanace/tax/labor for $272.36? It will be $40 less if I bring them the tires only..

·
Curve Connaisseur
364 Posts
That deal sounds pretty straight and yes i usually ride my tires till i can see the cords.....dont recommend it but with the tires i run i need to get every mile out of them...diablo corsa. DO IT DO IT. It you dont ride like rossi those tires should work out great for you.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
You should change your tires when they are down to the wear indicators. All sportbike tires have them. They're the little rubber nubbs in some of the tread grooves.

I change my tires long before they get there, but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
tires are past their best before you get to the wear bars, but that's a good general guideline. You will know when you need a new rear, it will be spinning somewhat on moderate throttle and you will probably start to see cuts on the meat of the tire. dont wear it down too far, the carcass of the tire is thinner than a car tire and can fail suddenly. with cuts, you probably have another 100 miles. front tire, check the wear bars and look for any change in the behavior of the tire on turn-in.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds like a good deal on those Z6s. But I can get the same deal on Michelin pilot powers including everything.

·
Registered
361 Posts
well I just got the new Pirelli Diablo's (not corsa's) and they are $285 installed, and I have to bring them the tires. So if you are getting the Metzler's for $272 bringing them the bike, that is a hell of a deal.

For me it works out this way

$125 for rear tire
$105 front
$20 in taxes and charges
$35 to install
---
$285

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds like a good deal on the Z6's

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Z6's are nice. Prolly my next set, if not the Pirelli Diablos.

I change out my tires if I have to ease off my riding style.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You are paying too much.

Code Product Quantity Price/Ea. Total
03010011 Metzeler Z6 120/70ZR-17 Front 1 $94.95 $94.95
03020012 Metzeler Z6 180/55ZR-17 Rear 1 $117.95 $117.95
Total: $212.90

with FREE shipping when you purchase two tires from www.swmototires.com
most shops will mount a tire to a loose rim for $20.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, this is the break down:
Metzeler Z6 120/70ZR-17 Front 1 $90.99
Metzeler Z6 180/55ZR-17 Rear 1 $108.99
Install/balance (if I bring the rims only): $24.00
Install/balance (if I bring the entire bike): $56.00
+ tax

So actually, the tires are cheaper than swmototires.. Install might be a little expensive, but it's worth it for me to have a professional do it.. plus, there is a really big mall by there so I can go shopping while the bike is being worked on.

What is the major differnce between diablos, pilots and Z6? Any advantage of havign one over the other? I don't ride hard at all.. so I was just looking for a tire that would last a long time but had good grip for normal riding.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Good rule of thumb is to change once the tread is below a 1/8 inch. I change my rear every season just for the safety/performance benefit.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lun said:
is that including labor time? or just install fee? you should double check.
that's everything including labor and tax... OTD price..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts