Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I experienced some trouble just because my feet can't help catch the bike when I'm coming to a stop. When I am stopped, the balls of my feet touch but I can't get both heels down. So a kid pulls out of a parking space real fast and I am coming by and I hit the brakes real fast so that I don't hit him. Basically I think one of my brakes locked up and I dumped the bike at about 5mph down to the left side (like my other wreck). Now because I know nothing about traffic laws and I didn't actually hit the kids Jeep, he was all "it's not my fault b/c you didn't hit me."

So if I hadn't braked at all I would have been more hurt, but he would have been liable? I just think that's really messed up. I am actually really pissed at both this kid and at myself b/c he didn't apologize until Jon came outside and he said he had apologized before and he hadn't, plus I hardly stuck up for myself in the least b/c I don't know how those situations are handled legally. Rest assured I've been kicking myself all afternoon b/c I feel like I would have been able to avoid dropping the bike if I had better footing.

So I want to know how often you guys who ride a lot have experienced this sort of thing but have been able to catch youself. I wonder if I really do need to get my seat shaved or something but this is the first time I've dropped the bike while trying to come to a stop.

Thoughts?
 

·
Titanium Princess
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
get the bike lowered, or get platform boots haha j/k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
That sucks Hanya. My wife had a similar issue with being able to put her heels on the ground. Might want to lower the bike, or consider trading for a bike with a lower seat (or one that can be lowered farther and more easily). This is kind of a neat list that lists motorcycles, sorted by seat height. Unfortunately there aren't many non-cruisers that are much lower than your bike.

http://motorcycles.about.com/library/FAQs/blseatheights.htm
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
I would try shaving the seat before I did anything with messing with the suspension, it can really throw the bike off.

As for the legal side of it. They have a thing called a non contact wreck where the actions of another drive can cause you too wreck. The hard part is proving it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
+1 on the seat shaving
 

·
I make things happen
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
shave it, its safer that way:dblthumb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OFFICER737 said:
I would try shaving the seat before I did anything with messing with the suspension, it can really throw the bike off.

As for the legal side of it. They have a thing called a non contact wreck where the actions of another drive can cause you too wreck. The hard part is proving it.
Yeah there wasn't an eyewitness except the kid had another dude with him in the car and of course he wouldn't take my side. But the reason I went down was BECAUSE the kid didn't look before he pulled out. So yeah, I didn't call the cops and the kid just didn''t do anything for like 5 mins and then without saying anything he just drove away.
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
Hanya said:
Yeah there wasn't an eyewitness except the kid had another dude with him in the car and of course he wouldn't take my side. But the reason I went down was BECAUSE the kid didn't look before he pulled out. So yeah, I didn't call the cops and the kid just didn''t do anything for like 5 mins and then without saying anything he just drove away.


That really sucks! Did he move the Jeep after you wrecked? If not, grab the cell phone with the digi cam on it and take a pic and one of the tag :D If it shows he was in the street and you had to avoid him...it's his ass :D

How bad did it get the bike? And glad you are ok!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
sorry to hear, that really sucks, hope you and the bike aren't too beat up. and yeah the whole not being able to reach the ground sucks, i couldn't sit flatfooted until i got the boots i wear now. i know that a lot of women have problems with the seat being too high, especially on sportbikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OFFICER737 said:
That really sucks! Did he move the Jeep after you wrecked? If not, grab the cell phone with the digi cam on it and take a pic and one of the tag :D If it shows he was in the street and you had to avoid him...it's his ass :D

How bad did it get the bike? And glad you are ok!
Well it was at 2:30 this afternoon and no I did not take a picture of it but yes his car was in the street aka apartment driveway. I didn't "avoid" him exactly but I did drop the bike while trying not to hit him. So if I hadn't braked I would have gone right into his passenger door. Shame on me for not getting picsor writing the tag down, I was a bit too shook up at the time and I really didn't think about it.

It broke the shift lever which was repaired from my last encounter with the road courtesy of a car and the rear fairing also got a nice big scratch on it, so it's not mint anymore. It really sucks, actually that's what I'm the most upset about is that rear fairing and me landing on my hip that was previous injured.
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
Hanya said:
Well it was at 2:30 this afternoon and no I did not take a picture of it but yes his car was in the street aka apartment driveway. I didn't "avoid" him exactly but I did drop the bike while trying not to hit him. So if I hadn't braked I would have gone right into his passenger door. Shame on me for not getting picsor writing the tag down, I was a bit too shook up at the time and I really didn't think about it.

It broke the shift lever which was repaired from my last encounter with the road courtesy of a car and the rear fairing also got a nice big scratch on it, so it's not mint anymore. It really sucks, actually that's what I'm the most upset about is that rear fairing and me landing on my hip that was previous injured.


It's understandable :beer Now you know in case it ever happens again and can plan for it.

Shift lever would be cheap to replace....the scratch is a different ball game though. How the hip hold up?
 

·
Mediocre Strafer
Joined
·
9,137 Posts
Hanya said:
So today I experienced some trouble just because my feet can't help catch the bike when I'm coming to a stop. When I am stopped, the balls of my feet touch but I can't get both heels down.

...

Rest assured I've been kicking myself all afternoon b/c I feel like I would have been able to avoid dropping the bike if I had better footing.

So I want to know how often you guys who ride a lot have experienced this sort of thing but have been able to catch youself. I wonder if I really do need to get my seat shaved or something but this is the first time I've dropped the bike while trying to come to a stop.

Thoughts?
If you can get the balls of both feet down, I don't know how much more it's going to help to have them flat.

This is one of those "how do you stop Shaq when he has the ball under the basket" questions. The answer is - you don't let that situation arise. Once you have the bike unbalanced, and/or a wheel locked, it's very unlikely that you will be able to avoid dropping it, or that an extra inch of legroom would save it.

Understood that you couldn't necessarily prevent the situation - happens to lots of people, that's why bikes get dropped and Shaq is going to the Hall of Fame (I'll still take Hakeem).

More experience may help you avoid some of those scenerios, or react in a way that doesn't get the bike so unbalanced. But the number of "unbalanced bike" situations resulting from an abrupt stop, that are savable with a lowered bike vs not really isn't that great. Where a lower bike *will* help is in the "oops I stopped next to an dip and put my foot down and it's an inch lower than I expected" situations. So I'd evaluate how many of those you find you are encountering and base your decision on that, rather than on the emergency stops.

I have a 600lb bike I can't flat-foot, and a 400lb bike I can. With my advanced degree of experience (30 years and untold miles), there are very, very few situations where I would expect to drop the one but be able to save the other.

KeS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
kevin_stevens said:
If you can get the balls of both feet down, I don't know how much more it's going to help to have them flat.

This is one of those "how do you stop Shaq when he has the ball under the basket" questions. The answer is - you don't let that situation arise. Once you have the bike unbalanced, and/or a wheel locked, it's very unlikely that you will be able to avoid dropping it, or that an extra inch of legroom would save it.

Understood that you couldn't necessarily prevent the situation - happens to lots of people, that's why bikes get dropped and Shaq is going to the Hall of Fame (I'll still take Hakeem).

More experience may help you avoid some of those scenerios, or react in a way that doesn't get the bike so unbalanced. But the number of "unbalanced bike" situations resulting from an abrupt stop, that are savable with a lowered bike vs not really isn't that great. Where a lower bike *will* help is in the "oops I stopped next to an dip and put my foot down and it's an inch lower than I expected" situations. So I'd evaluate how many of those you find you are encountering and base your decision on that, rather than on the emergency stops.

I have a 600lb bike I can't flat-foot, and a 400lb bike I can. With my advanced degree of experience (30 years and untold miles), there are very, very few situations where I would expect to drop the one but be able to save the other.

KeS
Great response and advice! Hayna, how's your hip holding up? You okay?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OFFICER737 said:
It's understandable :beer Now you know in case it ever happens again and can plan for it.

Shift lever would be cheap to replace....the scratch is a different ball game though. How the hip hold up?
I am calling doctor's offices that my insurance covers tomorrow b/c I need to get an xray in case it is fractured. It was still hurting from the first accident and now it just hurts worse.

I might get really lucky and be able to go to the apartment office tomorrow and see if they have a security camera that may have covered the driveway area. Any suggestions for pursuing this any further if footage is available? Thanks Officer :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kevin_stevens said:
If you can get the balls of both feet down, I don't know how much more it's going to help to have them flat.

This is one of those "how do you stop Shaq when he has the ball under the basket" questions. The answer is - you don't let that situation arise. Once you have the bike unbalanced, and/or a wheel locked, it's very unlikely that you will be able to avoid dropping it, or that an extra inch of legroom would save it.

Understood that you couldn't necessarily prevent the situation - happens to lots of people, that's why bikes get dropped and Shaq is going to the Hall of Fame (I'll still take Hakeem).

More experience may help you avoid some of those scenerios, or react in a way that doesn't get the bike so unbalanced. But the number of "unbalanced bike" situations resulting from an abrupt stop, that are savable with a lowered bike vs not really isn't that great. Where a lower bike *will* help is in the "oops I stopped next to an dip and put my foot down and it's an inch lower than I expected" situations. So I'd evaluate how many of those you find you are encountering and base your decision on that, rather than on the emergency stops.

I have a 600lb bike I can't flat-foot, and a 400lb bike I can. With my advanced degree of experience (30 years and untold miles), there are very, very few situations where I would expect to drop the one but be able to save the other.

KeS

You know the other day my boyfriend told me that the one thing he didn't like about me is that I don't ride aggressively enough. Given that piece of information since I am usually VERY cautious and I always try to plan to have an escape route, I just don't know how this situation would have been any better.

I've been able to catch myself all the rest of the times that the bike has been unsteady, and I'm sure today was just an odd combination of having just gotten on the bike (cold tires) and going on a brick/tile portion of the driveway (slick and uneven). I mean, I have almost 2 years and about 10k miles under my belt and I know that's not nearly enough to consider myself an experienced rider, but as far as this situation is concerned, I feel like that has absolutely nothing to do with it. I guess it just turns into a "sucks for me" situation if that's the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Hopefully they will have those security tapes for you and you can get what you need off of their. Glad you weren't banged up any worse. Unfortunately, with riding just like everything else in life there are those times when you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I would definitely shave the seat instead of lowering it though. Hopefully that will make the difference for you. The only problem for me with seat shaving though is if you like to tour. My double r's seat is like a brick. Can't get enough coushin in the damn thing.

Good luck either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, bikes can be fix, and glad you're not injure too badly. Notice you took the MSF about 2 years ago, have thought about taking the ERC? I'm actually looking to take a refresher course sometime this spring, maybe 3/31, and it's not that expensive ~$70. Might be able to learn some new tips and skills to prevent it from happening. Also, the insurance discount would pay for the course too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MotoRaider said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, bikes can be fix, and glad you're not injure too badly. Notice you took the MSF about 2 years ago, have thought about taking the ERC? I'm actually looking to take a refresher course sometime this spring, maybe 3/31, and it's not that expensive ~$70. Might be able to learn some new tips and skills to prevent it from happening. Also, the insurance discount would pay for the course too.
The last person I talked to about the ERC in my area said that it was basic parking lot skills and not worth much else, but I was considering it for a while.

I need to take it sometime though b/c next summer I was thinking on being a MSF course instructor.
 

·
Downtown Sport Commuter
Joined
·
873 Posts
Hanya said:
The last person I talked to about the ERC in my area said that it was basic parking lot skills and not worth much else, but I was considering it for a while.
And your accident happened where? :bitchslap
 

·
Mediocre Strafer
Joined
·
9,137 Posts
Hanya said:
You know the other day my boyfriend told me that the one thing he didn't like about me is that I don't ride aggressively enough. Given that piece of information since I am usually VERY cautious and I always try to plan to have an escape route, I just don't know how this situation would have been any better.

I've been able to catch myself all the rest of the times that the bike has been unsteady, and I'm sure today was just an odd combination of having just gotten on the bike (cold tires) and going on a brick/tile portion of the driveway (slick and uneven). I mean, I have almost 2 years and about 10k miles under my belt and I know that's not nearly enough to consider myself an experienced rider, but as far as this situation is concerned, I feel like that has absolutely nothing to do with it. I guess it just turns into a "sucks for me" situation if that's the case.
Yeah, that's what I meant. There are always situations beyond your (generic) control, and there are always situations beyond your skill, and there are always situations beyond your physical ability. All lowering the bike affects is the last of those, and it doesn't, IMHO, change the percentages very much if you are already getting the balls of your feet down.

If you'd said you can only get one foot on the ground, by sliding sideways off the seat - then yes, lowering/shaving can make a much b***** difference.

I didn't intend to disparage your handling of the situation at all.

KeS
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top