Sport Bikes banner

"General Disscusion" section?

7K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  keysdave 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if we should have a "General Disscusion" section.

Anyway I'm happy to see there's a place for us Gammers.

From north of the border, ride save everyone.

#9 ·
Hey, Joe!

You are using the Katana front wheel with the Kat 290 mm rotors and early GSXR 1100 calipers (a setup I pioneered back in 1988). My brake system consists of 4 piston Nissin calipers (or Tokico 6 piston) from '90's model Suzuki's along with a lightweight adapter design that allows close in mounting of the caliper for good handling. I plug and re-tap the lower caliper lug to 8 mm (offset drilled to agree with the RG fork lug) and use an L shaped adapter with spacers and hardware for the upper lug. I first designed this mounting system on my Suzuki Cavalcade (!!!). You would need new front brake lines for the updated calipers. Your old ones won't do.

Check out the use of a CBR 20 mm axle with the stock fork.

Rick

#8 ·
What oil is everyone using, I tried to find Klotz "injector" oil but didn't find that exact designation, but Klotz "snowmobile" seems to fit as an injector oil. I'm still using Polaris gold(called premium synthetic i think now).
I used Motul for years, then recently switched to klotz at the recommendation of Mr. Lance...He knows the RG and I trust his opinion..

#11 ·
HI Ya

HI all

I am a new RG500 Owner after 8 years of hoping to get one "one-day"
My RG500 is Painted in the Lucky Strike Pepsi Colours and I scored a set of matching leathers too.

Just thrilled to own one at last. I had a quick ride on it but realise that I need to do a few things before I ride it seriously on the road. Need to get both tyres replace as they were old.
Any suggestions re oils and and tyres??

I need to find out the code for the white on the tank/wheels. Does anyone have this data?

I live 1 1/2 hours south of Sydney , Australia. Any other Aussie RG owners on this list??

Attachments

#12 ·
congrats. I love the lucky strike scheme. I would highly suggest going with a modern 17 front and rear rims with modern tires. It really responds to this change. While at it, updated brakes will certainly be worth while. If its a bike you plan on keeping, and riding, its the only way to go. You can go with katana or SV wheels without much work.

#15 ·
Thanks for the advice mate.
1. What model Katana do I get the wheels off

2. What mods need to happen to fit the wheels on teh RG?

3. What difference does it make to teh bike/handling?
The 3x17 Katana is a great choice for the front. It even has the cable drive for your speedo.
I went through great pains to mount a 3.5x17 Marchesini mag to replace my Katana front rim. Because of the increased width, My steering is actually heaver now. The 110x70x17 is an awesome tire choice for the lightweight RG.

Mounting the front wheel is not bad. However you will need to be creative with the brakes. The stock Katana rotors or GSXR rotors bolt up. You will need adapters for whatever calipers you choose. Keep in mind that if you put on big piston calipers you will need the matching master cylinder for good lever feel.

The rear is a bit more tricky. Again the 4" Katana rear is relatively easy. You will need a ride height adjuster to replace the rear cushion lever. to compensate for the much lower profile tires.
Modern 140 or 150mm rubber is nice. the semi narrow rear tire keeps the handling light.
A super wide rear tire will make the RG handle slower than a narrow heavier wheel

When adapting a wheel wider than a 4" , It starts getting tricky.
With early 90's wide GSXR stuff. With some work, you can more or less get the chain to line up, and the wheel close the center. However those wheels are heavy. Mount wide tires on them and the bike will have a sluggish heavy feel.
Current wheels are wide and light but the chain is spaced out really wide from the edge of the wheel. Very difficult at best to sort out the chain line, and alignment.

Widening and or enlarging the stock wheels, adds a ton of weight to the outer hoop. This adds greatly to the gyro effect that the wheels have. This is worse than the (heavy wheel wide tire) combo.

BTW With anything wider than a 150 tire you will need to create more pipe clearance.

Check out the for sale thread on this forum. There is a setup for sale that is almost plug-n-play.

Good luck:popcorn

#17 ·
I just recently picked up new to me '85 Gamma. A friend of mine had it since the early 90's and I always bugged him to sell it to me, he finally gave in!

It sat for years and the foam on the filters is gone, I took it for a quick blast before I parked it while doing some long overdue service: new tires, gear oil, carb clean and synch, etc. As soon as a new Lace Gamma filters arrive I will be shedding it out on the roads, can't wait! Fell like a kid on Christmas and my mailman is Santa :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-0rbqjYVdA

#19 ·
That Walter Wolf looks 10x better in pictures than it does live..A low km bike with tell tale signs of much much higher mileage..The bellypan alone will set you back close to $1000.00...That is a poor example for the amount of money he's looking for, if someone offered $8000.00 he better help put it on the buyer's truck.

#21 ·
I'm pretty sure its a genuine WW, but the bike looks like it was parked outdoors for the last ten years. Like I said it looks much better in pictures. He wants 15k for it. I personally wouldn't give him half of that for that bike. Mileage on the speedo says one thing the bike says something else.

#22 ·
Need optinion/feedback rg-500(bellypans)

I'll be looking to purchase an aftermarket one soon. Looking at the AirTECH.
Want to see if anyone have purchase one of these and how the quality and fitment is. Can I still use the oem mounting nuts & screws. I think I have to drill the mounting hole myself?
Are there other manufactures that are better.
Thank You

#23 ·
Belly of the Beast

The Air-Tech pan is dismal. The fit is poor with too much shrinkage from the mold and thin brittle glass. Drilling it yourself only comes into play after you get over the fit and quality issues.
The Lance glass is exquisite at about 3 times the price of A/T.

Manny

#24 ·
The Air-Tech pan is dismal. The fit is poor with too much shrinkage from the mold and thin brittle glass. Drilling it yourself only comes into play after you get over the fit and quality issues.
The Lance glass is exquisite at about 3 times the price of A/T.

Manny
agreed. I had the airtech, it fits like crap, looks like crap, but when it goes to hell you feel less bad because its inexpensive. The Lance stuff fits better, is stronger, but more $$$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.