Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently received some good information on the potential starter bikes, any other suggestions or tips would still be appreicated (I am not very particular on looks I just want something to ride and something that will be reliable). Sorry for straying off topic, I would like to know what kind of gear I should get? What are some good brands? I would like to get something that is cheap, but I wont sacrfice safety for price. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
#1: a good full-face helmet, or a flip-front if you are willing to assume a little added risk for the sake of convenience.

Since you're in Kentuky and it's summertime now, I'd assume you want to start out with gear that'll be tolerable in the heat. To that end, I'd suggest either perforated leather or armored mesh jacket, pants, and gloves. I think mesh is probably a bit cooler than perfed leather. Tourmaster and Icon make nice gear that is a good value for the money; First Gear is nice stuff too for a little more.

You can increase the versatility of your mesh stuff by also getting a rain shell jacket and pants - I like the First Gear Rainman stuff. I've heard lots of folks recommend Frog Toggs too. Rain gear is good for wearing over your mesh gear on those chilly mornings; doesn't have to be raining.

As far as boots go, I've been happy with heavy ventilated black leather lace-up work-style boots. They may not offer the ultimate level of protection that you'll get with a $300 pair of motorcycle-specific boots, but they're certainly better than sneakers!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 ^ except for the boots. I'd get a $150-200 pair of specific riding boots. Alpinestars or Sidi make great products. I'm looking at a pair of A* S-MX3 to replace some old boots. Injuries to feet and ankles are too common without proper riding boots.

Riding pants are often skipped. The skin on your legs will shred off as you're sliding down the road just as well as that on your upper body.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
RayOSV said:
+1 ^ except for the boots. I'd get a $150-200 pair of specific riding boots. Alpinestars or Sidi make great products. I'm looking at a pair of A* S-MX3 to replace some old boots. Injuries to feet and ankles are too common without proper riding boots.
You're right of course; but I've seen plenty of "motorcycle specific" boots that just are not any thicker, stiffer, stronger, more padded, or more protective than the heavy workboots I've got now. Good A* or Sidi stuff is a different story. One of these days, I *will* get around to getting real boots, just haven't yet.

Riding pants are often skipped. The skin on your legs will shred off as you're sliding down the road just as well as that on your upper body.
+1

This has got to be the most overlooked piece of gear. I've got a pair of First Gear leather overpants, but they are intolerable in the heat and I confess to wearing just jeans on hot days. That's gonna change though, as I'm going to be getting a pair of First Gear Meshtex pants soon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you can't stand the heat or appearance of some of the pants, try Draggin' Jeans www.dragginjeans.com . I have a few pairs, and they are great! They have Kevlar in the knees and butt, so if you go down there is less of a chance of losing your skin. These jeans are hardly distiguishable from regular jeans- so you can wear them anywhere inconspiculously. :cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Luke1786 said:
Thanks for the information, about how much money should I allocate towards purchasing gear?
Well... you know what they say... If you have a $10 head, you can protect it with a $10 helmet :brick

But seriously... I would count on spending at least $150 on a helmet, $130 on a jacket, $40 on gloves, $60 on boots and $90 for something to protect your legs. That's about $500 right there- and these are what I would consider bare minimums. Of course, there are things that can affect these estimates- buying gear online is a plus, when it comes to cost- or finding something used. NEVER buy a used helmet :urowned - they have crushable shells inside, that often cannot be inspected without disassembling the helmet. One good drop can be enough to destroy it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If you haven't already, take a look in the "riders gear" section of the message board. Lots of good info there as well.

The less expensive gear (such as you're considering) will protect you reasonably well, but will only last for one get-off. That's a trade-off. I've seen high quality leather suits that have been crashed more times than anyone should experience. Sometimes a minor repair is needed, other times they're fine as is. A mesh jacket will likely be trashed after one encounter with pavement. If you're serious about riding and stick with it over the years, you'll eventually replace all your initial gear. Riding is NOT inexpensive. :lol

·
Registered
791 Posts
Luke1786 said:
Allright, so anywhere from $500-700. Hopefully my equipment will last long. Thanks.

200 helmet
300 Perferated Leather coat. Go with leather.
50 gloves
100 pants - Im still looking for things to put under my pants so i can wear my own jeans

100 boots - I just wear my Tims.

www.terra-powersports.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts