Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry have to vent. If you want to ride without gear, or worse stunt without gear shut up when you get rashed. Do these people really think when they get on the bike. I see it so often, the person going down the road with a helmit on in a T-shirt, or shorts and a T-shirt. Even saw a person with leathers on but no lid, wtf get all done up and forget the most important. Oh I forget it must not hurt that bad WHEN they hit the pavement. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't understand it. :hshot

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Hey man let it out. :) At least we aren't as bad as the cruiser crowd. Flip flops, shorts and t-shirts are normal around here. And this is my 100th post in the new forum!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Calling BS, AGAIN, on the cruiser thing. I rode for more than 6 hours yesterday, all over Southern Colorado. I saw more guys on sport bikes with no helmets and shorts than I saw cruisers without gear. And it went further.
A new thing I noticed: Sport bikers are more cattle-like in their herding. In a pack of cruisers, some went helmetless, or in shorts while others wore lids and chaps.
But when I saw a pack of sport bikers, either they all had gear on or none had it on. When one guy in a sport bike group goes without, it seems the rest followed suit. Even guys that had helmets had them strapped to the side of the bike. I didn't see any groups of helmetless sport bikers with just one guy wearing his gear. If the crowd didn't wear it, no one did.
I consistanly see sport bikers in beaters, flip flops, no lids, no gloves. Most of the cruiser crowd I see spends as much in clothing and gear as they do in mods to their bikes. Most have their chaps before owning a bike because they want to LOOK like bikers more than be one. But the fact is that they at least wear it.
Ratty old standards seem to have the worst offenders. Shower shoes, shorts, etc. But closely followed by sport bikers who want everyone to see they are young and studly. As sport bikers tend to ride alot harder than cruisers, it's even more important to wear gear. But gear of course, isn't as cool as wife beaters, backwards hats, and shorts to show off that frat tattoo on your calf........................

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
But when I saw a pack of sport bikers, either they all had gear on or none had it on. When one guy in a sport bike group goes without, it seems the rest followed suit. Even guys that had helmets had them strapped to the side of the bike. I didn't see any groups of helmetless sport bikers with just one guy wearing his gear. If the crowd didn't wear it, no one did.
From my personal experience and my own standards:

I've organized/lead MANY group rides in my 7 years of riding sportbikes and I have always held no reservations towards turning someone away. If we are going on a serious ride, and they show up wearing jeans, I say "Go home and get your leathers on, we'll wait for you" I am not by any means a dickhead to them, but I don't like the idea of one or two guys riding in our group riding with less gear than the rest of us.

Just like beautiful women, squids seem to stick together. If I meet another sportbike rider somewhere and they show up wearing no helmet or other protective gear, I'll talk to them, I'll be polite, but if they ask if I want to go riding later, I politely decline.

I think that might be one of the big reasons we see guys in gear all together, and squids all together. Honestly I wouldn't let a squid in our group if he/she PAID us.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
Calling BS, AGAIN, on the cruiser thing. I rode for more than 6 hours yesterday, all over Southern Colorado. I saw more guys on sport bikes with no helmets and shorts than I saw cruisers without gear. And it went further.
A new thing I noticed: Sport bikers are more cattle-like in their herding. In a pack of cruisers, some went helmetless, or in shorts while others wore lids and chaps.
I consistanly see sport bikers in beaters, flip flops, no lids, no gloves. Most of the cruiser crowd I see spends as much in clothing and gear as they do in mods to their bikes. Most have their chaps before owning a bike because they want to LOOK like bikers more than be one. But the fact is that they at least wear it.
Ratty old standards seem to have the worst offenders. Shower shoes, shorts, etc. But closely followed by sport bikers who want everyone to see they are young and studly. As sport bikers tend to ride alot harder than cruisers, it's even more important to wear gear. But gear of course, isn't as cool as wife beaters, backwards hats, and shorts to show off that frat tattoo on your calf........................
That is exactly what I witnessed on my ride Sat. The comment "But gear of course, isn't as cool as wife beaters, backwards hats, and shorts to show off that frat tattoo on your calf.." makes me laugh because I saw two guys on sportbikes that fit that description perfectly.

It makes me wonder though. I see so many sportbikers with no gear, does it mean that only guys like this (squids) aren't online in the forums like this, or do a ton of people on this forum lie about wearing gear?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I think that might be one of the big reasons we see guys in gear all together, and squids all together. Honestly I wouldn't let a squid in our group if he/she PAID us.
Care to explain to me how someone wearing leathers is not classified as a squid? I honestly didn't know that a leather suit was the one characteristic that defines somebody as a "rider" and not a squid.

So does their riding play any role in determining if they are a squid or not, or is it just the gear?

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
Who gives a shit. I get sick of these threads. It's not going to affetct you one bit the way they dress. Encouraging someone to wear gear is one thing. Bitching about if they don't is childish.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
Who gives a shit. I get sick of these threads. It's not going to affetct you one bit the way they dress. Encouraging someone to wear gear is one thing. Bitching about if they don't is childish.
+1 I wear gear, but the point about bitching being childish is very valid.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
Who gives a shit. I get sick of these threads. It's not going to affetct you one bit the way they dress. Encouraging someone to wear gear is one thing.

Werd! I wear a 1 peice everywhere I go cuse I value my skin! I don't care if the people I ride with are wearing gear or not so long as they can keep the pace in a safe manner and not kill anyone!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:

Yeah, I have to agree.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
Care to explain to me how someone wearing leathers is not classified as a squid? I honestly didn't know that a leather suit was the one characteristic that defines somebody as a "rider" and not a squid.

So does their riding play any role in determining if they are a squid or not, or is it just the gear?
Well like I said that's my opinion and my standards. I personally think someone who doesn't wear proper gear has little regard for their own safety, much less mine. There are probably exceptions to the rule, but I can make the choice to ride with someone or not, if I don't want to ride with them I won't. Luckily the group of guys I ride with feel the same way, if the person isn't wearing full gear they aren't gonna ride with us. However when a bunch of us just meet up at a restaurant, alot of guys are wearing jeans, and that's fine with me. It's not a "serious" ride either.

But at the same time, if we go on a serious ride and a new guy wearing full leathers starts acting like a fool (IE SQUID) we will ask them to leave and not ride with us again, or until they can calm down.

·
Registered
753 Posts
firefighter81 said:
From my personal experience and my own standards:

I've organized/lead MANY group rides in my 7 years of riding sportbikes and I have always held no reservations towards turning someone away. If we are going on a serious ride, and they show up wearing jeans, I say "Go home and get your leathers on, we'll wait for you" I am not by any means a dickhead to them, but I don't like the idea of one or two guys riding in our group riding with less gear than the rest of us.

Just like beautiful women, squids seem to stick together. If I meet another sportbike rider somewhere and they show up wearing no helmet or other protective gear, I'll talk to them, I'll be polite, but if they ask if I want to go riding later, I politely decline.

So I am a squid for wearing jeans? Gimme a fucking break. Hate to say it, but leather pants look like shit..period. Now if i was at a track day I would wear full gear. But if im just going out ona cruise fun and someone told me I had to wear leathers Id hit the guy with my helmet. Gimme a break man. Other than that, Im right with you.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I personaly do not care if you wear your gear or not I perfer to wear it so I do. Some people don't so they leave it at home.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
BadNatured said:
So I am a squid for wearing jeans? Gimme a fucking break. Hate to say it, but leather pants look like shit..period. Now if i was at a track day I would wear full gear. But if im just going out ona cruise fun and someone told me I had to wear leathers Id hit the guy with my helmet. Gimme a break man. Other than that, Im right with you.
Ok, to YOU leather pants look like shit, to me jeans on a motorcycle look like shit, different strokes....

I never said people who wear jeans are squids. I said jeans are NOT appropriate for any "serious" ride where you are going to be hitting twisties at a little faster than normal speeds. If you are just going on a slow relaxing cruise, wear jeans if you want, that doesn't bother me one bit. All I said is if my group goes on a fast paced ride and someone shows up in jeans, they aren't riding with us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not bitching about people not wearing gear, my bitch was if you don't and go down don't bitch about rash. I have read several threads some even on this board about people getting rashed and asking about how to take care of it. Wait they're not smart enough to wear the gear then they probably can't think enough to go see a Dr. if it's bad enough. That was my bitch. I may be childish but at leat I don't have to ask how to take care of my wounds, ( call your mother not us ).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yea, that nice helmet does look cool hanging off the side of your bike I'm sure it will be fine when the bike goes down. I wouldn't be nearly as pissed that I recked my lid if it was on my head than on the side of the bike, how much protection does it do for the side of the bike when it's hanging there going down the road.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
it makes me sick when i see a rider without a helmet, especially a sportbiker, anytime i do, ill point to my head when im in my truck. ive had some up close experiences with friends wrecking without a helmet, and i will ALWAYS ride with a lid

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
so what, let um not wear gear, let um fall, let um get ripped up AND let um whine and cry on the forums.. All they want it sympathy, and you know damn well when they stop bitching on the forums, they call their friends and brag about the rash....

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's called Darwin's law. The more lethally stupid stuff people do on purpose, the less stupid people there will be in the next generation. If they know the facts and still don't care... leave em be to natural selection.

Don't take this as "I don't care" either. I want everyone to know all the facts and be safe, I really do... but if they know all the facts and refuse to abide by them, so be it... it's their ass, not yours. You can't make someone do something, and we aren't here to be parents to everyone else.

Leave it be.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
MN7RRider said:
Sorry have to vent. If you want to ride without gear, or worse stunt without gear shut up when you get rashed. Do these people really think when they get on the bike. I see it so often, the person going down the road with a helmit on in a T-shirt, or shorts and a T-shirt. Even saw a person with leathers on but no lid, wtf get all done up and forget the most important. Oh I forget it must not hurt that bad WHEN they hit the pavement. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't understand it. :hshot
one word for that... AMEN!!!!!!

Casket Crew said:
Werd! I wear a 1 peice everywhere I go cuse I value my skin! I don't care if the people I ride with are wearing gear or not so long as they can keep the pace in a safe manner and not kill anyone!
well i do.. sorry but i would not want to be with someone watching them get killed in front of me because they chose not to wear anything.. if im riding whoevers with me better have their shit together or else!! thank god when i ride with the group they're all really good about that kinda thing..and i dont feel any sympathy no offense if they dont cuz its their choice but get it together yo!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts