Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Safety gear question here

1st off let me say, Im enrolling in the beginner MSF course, and after I get my bike Ill take the advanced course (they dont provide bikes for that one)

Price is somewhat of a concern so looks matter VERY LITTLE to me at this point in time, I want the best protection for the money I spend

Helmet
Jacket
Spine protection
Pants
Gloves
Boots (saw a pic of a guy that had a chain get ahold of his foot PUKE )
Hip Protection

Is there any gear that has very high protection yet somewhat breaths on those 100 degree days with VERY high humidity. Id like to not be stuck to only riding on cool days.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
HJC is gonna be your best bet for an affordable, quality helmet IMO. Thats brand new of course...you could always find a used one for much cheaper.
Heavy denim jeans and just a regular pair of leather gloves works too, if moneys real tight. I just wear regular boots when I ride, nothing special. As far as jackets go, $30 for walmart denim jacket-$500 top leather, its all about how much$$$ you got. Definately get yourself a helmet, gloves, and some sort of a jacket, though.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
Is there any gear that has very high protection yet somewhat breaths on those 100 degree days with VERY high humidity. Id like to not be stuck to only riding on cool days.[/QUOTE said:
I got a Joe Rocket Ater Ego for a fair price and its got good protection. Plus its got layers, which is good for those days where it goes from 40 degrees in the morning to 80 during the day. Can't say how it feels at 100degrees though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Travis71902 said:
HJC is gonna be your best bet for an affordable, quality helmet IMO. Thats brand new of course...you could always find a used one for much cheaper.
Heavy denim jeans and just a regular pair of leather gloves works too, if moneys real tight. I just wear regular boots when I ride, nothing special. As far as jackets go, $30 for walmart denim jacket-$500 top leather, its all about how much$$$ you got. Definately get yourself a helmet, gloves, and some sort of a jacket, though.
Thanks for the advice on the brand, money is somewhat tite but I would prefer full pants instead od denim, just me tho, if it means I have to wait that much longer to get a bike so be it. But I think its cooler to not have road hickies than vice versa. (Not dogging on you in any way)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Snoop around for closeouts if money is tight; newenough.com has some and motorcyclecloseouts.com also. It's much easier if you don't care about looks or matching.

Look for CE certified armor.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Check out this site and others like it.(google search)

New Enough Motorcycle Leathers sells leather and textile riding apparel, boots, gloves, luggage, helmets, etc
http://www.newenough.com/

Find what you like and can afford,then go to the local shops and try stuff on th see how it fits.(one size in one brand may not feel the same in another brand).After finding what fits,go back to the web where you found it for the best price and buy it.

You can go here to see how the gear you choose stands up to real world conditions.

Motorcycle Gear Review
http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Scorpion EXO 400 if money is tight. Nothing else will touch that quality for that price. DO NOT BUY A USED HELMET!!!

Get yourself full gear. A Walmart denim jacket doesn't offer any real protection. Is it better than just a t-shirt? Yes. However, the marginal amount of protection denim gives you over nothing isn't really protection at all. Joe rocket Phoenix pants and jacket from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse will run you under $200 total. They will breathe just fine in the hot weather, and the removable wind/rain proof liner helps when it's a little cooler out.

You have the right attitude... get the gear and wait a while longer if you have to. Too many people spend their whole budget on the bike, and figure they'll get around to the gear later. The first 6 months on a new (to you) bike is the time you are statistically most likely to go down. Add to that the statistics of going down as a new rider, and the chances are multiplied. This is not the time to ride around gearless while you save up for it, since this is the time when you are most likely to need it.
Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Travis71902 said:
Denim is NOT protection. At 45mph, denim shreds in 7 feet. Buy riding-specific gear. If the stuff at Walmart was intended as protective gear, they would sell it in motorcycle shops as such. Work boots, hiking boots, jeans, and leather work gloves are a poor substitute for proper gear. Such things may protect you at low speeds (under 15mph) or in a stop situation but in anything at street speeds, you will get hurt. A pair of $100 textile pants (cheap by biking standards) over a $20 pair of jeans may mean the difference between a bruise and legs scraped to hamburger.

Spend as much as you can afford on good gear. One hard fall can have it pay for itself. It's easier for you to get new cowhide from a different cow than it is for you to regrow your own skin. I consider $1000 to be a realistic quality gear budget. You can get full gear for $500 but your options are much more limited and generally keep you out of the good leather. A good leather jacket runs $300+.

I ride in leather pants and an armored mesh/leather jacket in 100 degree summer weather. Hot, yes. But only when I'm not moving. It's really not that bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
linuxbikr said:
Denim is NOT protection. At 45mph, denim shreds in 7 feet. /QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking, I remember as a small kid running and falling down would rip through blue jeans, thats what 5mph and a soft fall.

Alaska cajun, than you for the links, they will proove to be EXTREMELY helpful.

Also nice to know that the gear breaths while riding, I asumed since its leather it diddnt breath at all :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
You can freeze ya balls off in leather.

I think it's goes like this,65mph,60*f and the wind chill is like 32*f.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
linuxbikr said:
Denim is NOT protection. At 45mph, denim shreds in 7 feet. Buy riding-specific gear. If the stuff at Walmart was intended as protective gear, they would sell it in motorcycle shops as such. Work boots, hiking boots, jeans, and leather work gloves are a poor substitute for proper gear. Such things may protect you at low speeds (under 15mph) or in a stop situation but in anything at street speeds, you will get hurt. A pair of $100 textile pants (cheap by biking standards) over a $20 pair of jeans may mean the difference between a bruise and legs scraped to hamburger.

Spend as much as you can afford on good gear. One hard fall can have it pay for itself. It's easier for you to get new cowhide from a different cow than it is for you to regrow your own skin. I consider $1000 to be a realistic quality gear budget. You can get full gear for $500 but your options are much more limited and generally keep you out of the good leather. A good leather jacket runs $300+.

I ride in leather pants and an armored mesh/leather jacket in 100 degree summer weather. Hot, yes. But only when I'm not moving. It's really not that bad.
I was just letting the guy know what his best options were. I'd rather see him wear denim pants and longsleeves(if thats all he can afford), rather than shorts and sandals(im sure you've seen riders like this). Of course your best protection is going to be rider-specific gear. Like you said not everyone can spend $400 on a jacket, $250 on pants, $50 on gloves, $150 on boots, and $150-$500 on a quaility helmet.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Travis71902 said:
Like you said not everyone can spend $400 on a jacket, $250 on pants, $50 on gloves, $150 on boots, and $150-$500 on a quaility helmet.
If you plan in advance you can get your gear in installments, whereas you pickup the helmet with your first paycheck, jacket with the next, etc. This way you can get quality, appropriate protection for the street.

I think I purchased all of my gear over two paychecks I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DittoAlex said:
Two-piece leather suits can be found for very cheap.
So I have noticed. I want alot of protection on my spine, do these suits cover that or would I buy one of the protectors seperately?

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
You usually get a marginal or semi-marginal back protector. Nothing stellar, but a little bit of padding is better than nothing.

·
Registered
791 Posts
deadman1515 -

1st of all CHANGE YOUR NAME that is just bad karma.

get a Scorpion helmet $140 exo400 or $200 exo700 they all have anit fog, vents, anti scratch, washable liners

Jackets.... take ur butt to your nearest 2 dealerships and try on stuff. THEN go here http://www.terra-powersports.com/ best deals i've seen On and Off the net.

Pants.... up to you, u'll spend $100+ bone. Chech site above. Im personally trying to find some good pads to go under any of my pants, I dont want velcro though.

Shoes... old timbs perhaps? Like me :neener or $100+ biker boots. Check site above.

Gloves.. i have some icon tarmac v2. feel nice, look nice, prevented rash on my hands from a low slide... CONs = 1 time crash use LOL bitch ripped at a seem around my lower thumb muscle thing. $30 at site above $40 in store.

hope this helps you. IF SOMEONE knows of a good quality knee pad please let me know with an IM or something. Especially if they use like helmet straps to keep in place instead of the velcro. :)

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Don't forget to search E-bay. There are lots of great deals on closeout and slightly used stuff. I purchased a Joe Rocket Alter Ego slightly used from E-Bay and saved about $100. It is an all season jacket for New Orleans. It has zip off panels to expose a mesh jacket and a removable waterproof liner along with all of the CE approved armor. I also got a brand new Shoei RF-900 for $125 and some brand new Joe Rocket Phoenix pants for $75 which are mesh. E-bay has treated me quite well.

·
Registered
912 Posts
scorpion all the way for a helmet. They rate as high or higher than the $600 helmets in all catagories (fit, quality, wind noise...) and cost 1/3 or less of those. They also have a boat load of color schemes to meet your needs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
leather suit!!!! you can get em for good price online...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts