Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions...

I have my one piece for track, 2 piece leathers and 2 piece mesh for now. My 2 piece leather jacket is looking a bit worn at the moment but serviceable and looking at new gear.

I have a $1200-$1500 budget for a 2 piece touring suit. I have read a myriad of articles and am no closer.

I want a truly waterproof set of touring gear. What are your experiences? I am looking at rev!it mostly, but held, dainese, klim, bhering not sure what else. I am more than tolerant of hot and cold, would just like to stay dry. Hands have been frostbitten and i have that covered.

I see a lot of layered 2-3-4 season. What flows decent and offers good protection?

I could care less about looks, i am sponsored locally by Salvation Army racing...lol

I have read AdRider and still not sure.

Everyone here is honest? What would you recommend?

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
The best touring gear, hands down, is the Roadcrafter by Aerostitch.

Reactions: arcticamt6

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have the REV'IT Horizon 2pc (hi-viz jacket). It's great in the winter and in the rain. For the winter there is a removable liner which has kept me warm in temperatures in the 20s, even on the highway at a constant 80mph for around ten minutes or so. The suit itself is waterproof so there is no rain liner. For warmer temperatures it has vents that open on the chest and a vent in the back for airflow. On the road it feels like you have a little fan inside your suit which keeps me comfortable up to the 80s, but if you're commuting and stuck in traffic a lot it won't do much. I have a mesh/leather 2pc that I use in the summer that has a rain liner.

A friend of mine got the REV'IT Sand 2 2pc, which is going to be a little more comfortable in the summer. It comes with a rain liner and the suit is mildly rain resistant but you need the liner if you're going to be riding in considerable rain. It also has a thermal liner. One nice thing about the Sand 2 pants is there is a zipper on the outside of the thigh for additional airflow, something the Horizon doesn't have.

Held, Klim, and Rukka are more expensive, and to be honest I'm not sure if they are truly providing a better feature or higher quality. The same friend who got the Sand 2 suit was looking at all of those and he went with the Sand suit because of what he was getting for the price. I also haven't seen the other brands in stores unless you drive to the Revzilla store in Philly, they have some Held stuff, and Klim I think, not sure about Rukka. REV'IT is available in most stores.

My experience is only with REV'IT, I've never worn the others, so I can't comment on airflow, I just know the Sand flows a little more air than the Horizon, but the Sand requires you to put in a liner where the Horizon is waterproof on its own. Horizon also has the hi-viz option for an extra $50. The Horizon has kept me dry in some pretty heavy rain, minus around the neck where it gets damp just due to mist coming off the helmet and jacket.

If I were you and you had to pick between the two, considering you want to just be dry, I would pick the Horizon just so you don't have to have the extra rain liner which I don't think provides as much protection as just having the whole jacket be waterproof. It will come in well under your $1500 max.

Edit: Revzilla has a sale on both the Horizon and Horizon Hi-Viz jackets.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Waterproof gear is...

Not all that versatile. Stupid hot in warm weather, and when it rains, even though you're dry, you feel "heavy" with all the wet gear over you.

·
Registered
917 Posts
in my experience, waterproof gear only keeps you dry for the first 15 minutes you're caught in the rain, then you can feel the water seeping in.
What brand(s) did you own? I've been in some heavy sustained rain in both my Horizon and lined Ignition jackets (both REV'IT) and I stayed dry. Sure there were some spots like my neck that were wet, but that was about it.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waterproof gear is...

Not all that versatile. Stupid hot in warm weather, and when it rains, even though you're dry, you feel "heavy" with all the wet gear over you.
I do agree to a point. I have been looking more at gore-tex gear for that reason. I have my old goretex from the military, obviously not so good on a bike. I never felt wet in it so to speak.

One thing and maybe I am getting hung up on it, is goretex shell vs goretex liner. It would make a difference on versatility, just not sure on the staying dry.

Till now I have toured in 2 piece leathers and rain gear. I had a good rain suit (RIP now), but it was just bulky. I want to make that part of riding just a bit more comfortable. Leathers, with layers and then a rainsuit has me feeling like one of those russian matroshka's where it is a dol inside of a doll.....Too many layers.

If this would make it lighter, but not as warm no issues. I have a battery powered vest that works great. I have ridden into mid 30's with torrential downpours all day and stayed warm without heated gear, just layers.

Going to keep reading on some more and find additional reviews I suppose. I just don't want to drop that kind of coin on gear and find out I could have just bought a textile suit and rain gear.

I have considered aerostitch but it seems like the reviews are all over the board with seam leaks, etc. Not sure.

·
5,455 Posts
What brand(s) did you own? I've been in some heavy sustained rain in both my Horizon and lined Ignition jackets (both REV'IT) and I stayed dry. Sure there were some spots like my neck that were wet, but that was about it.
Teknic. the pants work pretty well, but they are so hot you'll be soaked with sweat instead. the jacket can only hold the water out for so long though

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Aerostitch would probably be my first choice, followed by Klim. I'll be in the market for a once piece in the near future since I'm commuting year round through the rainy season here in Seattle.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I do agree to a point. I have been looking more at gore-tex gear for that reason. I have my old goretex from the military, obviously not so good on a bike. I never felt wet in it so to speak.

One thing and maybe I am getting hung up on it, is goretex shell vs goretex liner. It would make a difference on versatility, just not sure on the staying dry.
In my experience nothing that is "2" piece will keep you dry if it rains very hard, water will get through in between the jacket and the pants, in your belly. Basically the air pushes the water up from your pants. That's good for light rain mostly.

1 piece suits, or 2 piece suits that can be connected, like the BMW Rallye Suit, work for the most part.

The removable liner is... Dunno, I've had to stop in the middle of nowhere when caught by rain in warm weather to put on the liners. Basically, get naked while you're standing by the road. It's much easier to put on a rain suit...

In fact, It's not that uncommon for me to use my rain suit over what could be waterproof gear if I hadn't left the liners at home.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The removable liner is... Dunno, I've had to stop in the middle of nowhere when caught by rain in warm weather to put on the liners. Basically, get naked while you're standing by the road. It's much easier to put on a rain suit...

In fact, It's not that uncommon for me to use my rain suit over what could be waterproof gear if I hadn't left the liners at home.
This is the part that gets me. I got caught outside of Warsaw about 2 months ago and it was like someone dumped a bucket on me. from pulling over to having my rain suit on was probably 1:00 minute tops. If I had to do that with liners I may as well get a bar of soap out while getting nekkid to clean up.

More to think about I suppose. It's not needed anytime soon, but I figure I'll read and research to find something I like.

Some of the stuff is ridiculous expensive though. Insane!

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aerostitch would probably be my first choice, followed by Klim. I'll be in the market for a once piece in the near future since I'm commuting year round through the rainy season here in Seattle.
I haven't ruled out aerostitch and Klim. A buddy of mine just ordered a klim 2 piece and I'll have to check it out when it comes in.

I'm definitely going with the 2 piece for touring though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
For waterproofing, I just carry a lightweight waterproof overpant and jacket to throw over my normal street riding gear (Dainese leather jack + textile pants) I just keep it folded up in my backpack in case it ever rains. No need for a dedicated rain jacket + pants...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Teknic. the pants work pretty well, but they are so hot you'll be soaked with sweat instead. the jacket can only hold the water out for so long though
Either hasn't been a problem with my REV'IT Horizon suit but in very steamy weather I get a little damp from sweat. But that's unavoidable with any suit in hot weather, rain or no rain. The rain also cools you off a bit, at least in my experience.

In my experience nothing that is "2" piece will keep you dry if it rains very hard, water will get through in between the jacket and the pants, in your belly. Basically the air pushes the water up from your pants. That's good for light rain mostly.

1 piece suits, or 2 piece suits that can be connected, like the BMW Rallye Suit, work for the most part.

I didn't have that problem with the Horizon 2 piece but the jacket is a longer cut. I can see that happening with a shorter/sport cut. It connects but only with a small zipper in the back.

I have another 2 pc mesh/leather with a liner and if there is even a chance of rain I'll put the liner in before I start riding, but it breathes well and is only becomes too hot in 85 degree plus weather.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I haven't ruled out aerostitch and Klim. A buddy of mine just ordered a klim 2 piece and I'll have to check it out when it comes in.

I'm definitely going with the 2 piece for touring though.
I've been upgrading my gear for the last year and have come to one conclusion. If you want to truly be waterproof (well as waterproof as riding gear can get), buy Goretex. It's worth the extra money. Every single offbrand waterproofing material has let me down with a 100% fail rate so far.

I have the Klim Badlands Pro jacket with Aerostich AD1 pants.

The Klim jacket has 8 vents. Two in each sleave, a pit vent, and a back vent on each side. This jacket flows a TON of air when you're moving faster than a crawl. If you're sitting still, it's like a sauna. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that in a waterproof jacket though. Fortunately I don't do much sitting still in my jacket. I traveled through the Nevada desert this summer in the heat of the day when the temperatures in the shade were well past 100 and it was doable in this jacket. It's been 100% waterproof so far, and I have about 15,000 miles in it thus far. I've been through some really heavy sustained rain without a drop leaking through. My only complaint with this jacket is that a small piece of velcro on the inside of the collar is slightly itchy. I talked with Klim and they will be redesigning that part of collar so it will be a non-issue. I plan to contact Klim's warranty department to have mine fixed under their lifetime warranty. The protection on the Badlands is pretty damn good for a textile. I honestly feel as protected wearing this as I did in my leathers. So far, I'd rate this jacket at 9.5/10, with the only negative being the collar. Once that is fixed, I can't think of a single thing to complain about (other than the absurd price).

The Aerostich AD1 pants are nice, but not nearly as nice as the Klim jacket. The material is thinner, it looks a bit goofy, and most importantly it has no vents at all. This thing is HOT. It is 100% waterproof though. I bought the pants roughly the same time as the Klim jacket, and they haven't failed me in the rain yet. Overall, I'd rate the pants at maybe a 7/10.

Prior to buying my current setup, I had bought a Teiz one piece suit that just didn't suit me. Granted, the suit was too large for me, but I realized that I just didn't care for a one-piece, especially for touring. Too often I like to just take my jacket off and leave my pants on... and taking a shit while on the road in a one piece is a miserable endeavor. For me, a one piece suit is out of the question for touring.

After the Teiz, I bought an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. The pants were terrible fitting. The waist band fit around my belly button. They were slightly too loose standing, but when I sat down they were too tight because of how high they fit and the fact that I could stand to lose 10 pounds. :eek:nfloor The jacket just didn't fit right at all. I returned the jacket twice for different sizes, and I tried to convince myself that I like it, but I just didn't. It's a well-made suit, and many love it, but it just wasn't for me.

I did a ton of research and also stopped into stores that stocked touring gear. I've tried on BMW, Revit, Tourmaster, Olympia, and others that I'm forgetting at the moment. One thing that was a requirement for me was Goretex, and the Goretex had to be part of the jacket itself. I didn't want to deal with liners and the space they took up and the pain they are to put on. With my current setup, all I have to do is close some zippered vents (if they're open) and then ride on. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

My recommendation would be either the Klim Badlands or Latitude suits. The Badlands has superior protection, which is why I settled on it.

In the long run, I'll probably sell the Aerostich AD1 pants to buy the Klim Badlands pants. The protection is simply much greater in the Klims and they also have vents, which really make a huge difference in the summer. I have no doubt they'll be just as waterproof as the matching jacket.

Like Aerostich, Klim also has a lifetime warranty on their products. One downside to Klim is that their gear is made in China. It's not prone to the same quality control issues as many cheap Chinese gear, but I'd rather see it made in the US like Aerostich (well most of Aerostich's gear is still made in the US anyhow).

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Icon Patrol Hi-Viz 2 pc.(370/250),black Knox Out dry Gloves(200)and black TCX S-Zero waterproof boots(250).Venting in suits allow riding in t-shirt and jeans comfortably during 20 minute commute or four hour round trip to Latigo Canyon road/Rock Store area,during a downpour.
I also wear a balaclava for the exposed neck area.
Crack the shield open,close forward facing helmet vents and ride all day warm/cool and dry! (Suit liner is unnecessary until below 40 degrees!)

Had a Fieldsheer w/p 1 pc.,Teknic racing Gloves with w/p inner glove liners (clammy but effective during commute) and w/p Tourmaster touring boots before thrown on the pavement by a pickup exiting the commuter lane:Shredded suit,ground right side of helmet,bruised shin on right side frame slider.
Tossed suit,turned in helmet with purchase receipt to insurance for replacement and bought tall race style boots.Boots and gloves undamaged.

Insurance was so grateful I didn't go to the hospital due to atgatt,they gave me enough money to replace everything!

The Fieldsheer setup was easily put on/taken off and very comfortable after the complexity of the rain suit over the leathers setup.Also waterproof in a downpour on the round trip to the Rock Store!

I'm in and out of this gear easily and quickly,completely dry at my destination.
The gear technology today versus back in the 1980's is fantastic!
Yes it's pricey but,well worth it when the the reviews are read before purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With regards to touring gear, what do people think about this cooling technology - (ThermoBionics - Home)? It could be made waterproof without the need to open a vent for cooling. I did some long distance riding with it in Nevada and California at the end of the summer, and it really helps with riding in the heat. You can stay zipped up and cool because this refrigeration technology acts directly on the body.

It's not for sale right now, but I'd really appreciate getting some feedback. We have a really quick survey on our site, and in exchange for your time, we're going to donate $5 for each completed survey to the Wounded Warrior project for the first 20 responses! Also happy to get responses here on the forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts