Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So before I start riding, I need to get some gear. I don't really have a strict budget. I realize that gear isn't something to cheap-out on but I don't want to be throwing money at brand mark-up and fancy decals/designs. I'm on the hunt for a full-face helmet that has great crash protection and enough comfort that it won't be unbearable and a drop down sun-visor would be great. Also, suggestions for good value boots, gloves and a jacket would be awesome.

Thanks for the help

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Sounds like you have your head right. The best is to try on stuff in retail stores and buy online. Cycle gear is getting good with prices. Gear is very important and most of us keep what we buy for years so its ok to spend a little more. My gear usually lasts longer than bikes.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
oops, forgot...motorcyclegear.com they've been around a long time and have killer prices. I recommend getting on their mailing list.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Look for quilty and fit, over style. Fit is vary important and can only be done by trying stuff on. If go into a store to for fitting please buy stuff from that store. We are losing shops all the time.

Closeouts! All of the gear I have bought for myself has been on closeout. I like MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More! for gear too.
As for low price scorpion helmets AT AGV helmets an and boots an and jackets Cortech has a Cortech has a lot of good stuff that is cheap . Just make sure it all fits well before you buy

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The thing to remember about skid-lids is there is NO grading system. DOT and SNELL are both pass fail. If it passes it says so. If it fails, no reputable merchant will sell it.
So why does that hat cost 600$US and the one a shelf down 150$US?. Comfort. Weight. Style. Fit and finish. Remember also that if you ride a lot in hot weather, it is a real good idea to get two. My brother the Poser (and PROUD of it) has 6 or 7. When he gets a new jacket, he buys a helmet and gloves to match. That is probably a bit excessive. I have 3. I try not to wear the same lid on back to back days. I pull the liner out once a week and wash it but it still gets pretty rank after a couple of wearings.
Most important is how it fits. It has to be tight enough so your noggin doesn't rattle around like a pea in an empty paint bucket if/when things go wrong. It also has to fasten tight enough so the hat doesn't spin around when a Japanese beetle hits it at 80MPH.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Check out teknic. They are going out of business ( not because their stuff is bad). Revzilla.com. you can get a race glove for like 150 bucks and nice leather jacket for the same price. They also have clearance exo1000 helmets on moto superstore for 100. Great helmet.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
For helmets, you have to remember that helmets come in different shapes. Make sure to try what fits your head. Also, one brands large can be anothers small.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got a HJC CL-16 helmet and Joe Rocket Velocity jacket and Im very happy with both. I paid $130 each for them. Im sure you could find them cheaper online, but I wanted to support my local dealer.

The helmet is pretty good, its a little noisy and the airflow is medium but other than that the fit and comfort is great. I had skull surgery when I was a infant so finding a helmet that feels right was hard. The anti-fog insert has never failed me, and I sweat a ton.

My only complaint with the jacket is that it is fit for fat people. At 6'1" I had to get large cause of my torso length, but it leaves a good amount of arm and belly room (Im 170). But this isn't too big of a deal cause it has plenty of adjustments and such. Its a very good flowing jacket advertised for 2 seasons, but I think it could be stretched out for 3 because the waterproof liner and because of the aforementioned room I could easily wear a sweatshirt underneath.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
The thing to remember about skid-lids is there is NO grading system. DOT and SNELL are both pass fail. If it passes it says so. If it fails, no reputable merchant will sell it.
Snell is pass/fail, DOT is not. DOT is pass for one helmet, then they are trusted to maintain for all future helmets, meaning they aren't tested again. Snell tests submitted helmets initially but follows up with random tests of previously rated helmets. If the manufacturer fails to submit a new helmet, they lose their certification.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I second MotorcycleGear.com. Their closeouts can save you a pile of money. This time of year though, the selection isn't so great.

SportbikeTrackGear.com is good also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts