Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time is ticking down and I have less than 2 weeks to get my gear and was just looking for some last minute guidance..

Here is what I am looking at right now.

Jacket:
Icon Motorhead
AGVsport Force
Teknic chicane

gloves:
icon timax
others

helmet:
For me either.. AGV v-flyer or HJC ac11 or if I can find a place to try it.. a scorpion
for my wife .. shoei rf1000 or hjc ac11

boots:
Icon motorhead or super-duty

Pants:
still looking.

Please if anyone has this stuff please give me some feed back. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn't go with icon. They have some bad ass looking stuff but every review I have read said it is junk more or less, offering little crash protection and is made like crap.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Jacket:

Teknic chicane

gloves:

a-stars, gericke (sp?) firstgear
helmet:
For me either.. HJC ac11 or if I can find a place to try it.. a scorpion
for my wife .. hjc ac11

boots:
astars, agv, or oxtar/sidi

Pants:
jr, a-stars, or tecknic (sp)

these would be my choices...

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I think you should both get the Shoei if it fits. I would go with the AGV out of your choices. Go with the AGV jacket, I'm pretty sure cowhide is more protective than goat. For the price of Icon Timax's I'm sure you could find some really nice Alpinestars or Teknic gloves or even some middle-of-the-line Held's. With pants, it depends if you want leathers or textile overpants. Boots I would go with Sidi, Oxtar, Teknic, A*.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I have an Icon helmet, it's about the only thing I trust from Icon. Just make sure the helmet is DOT *AND* SNELL certified. Please buy a nice helmet, the rest of the gear is up to you. Just don't be one of those guys I see on a $10k R1 wearing a $70 helmet. :lame

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I have an Icon helmet, it's about the only thing I trust from Icon. Just make sure the helmet is DOT *AND* SNELL certified. Please buy a nice helmet, the rest of the gear is up to you. Just don't be one of those guys I see on a $10k R1 wearing a $70 helmet. :lame
Did you see the thread a few weeks ago about the Icon helmet falling apart? They're made by HJC I believe. At least a lot of their other gear is.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
MoO_coW said:
I wouldn't go with icon. They have some bad ass looking stuff but every review I have read said it is junk more or less, offering little crash protection and is made like crap.
+1.............

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
nig said:
Did you see the thread a few weeks ago about the Icon helmet falling apart? They're made by HJC I believe. At least a lot of their other gear is.
No I haven't wanna give me a link to it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a pair of the Icon Timax gloves and they're Awesome....that's a faboo choice, and they're worth EVERY penny. My BF endooooopsed after a car cut out in front of him and slammed on their brakes. He hit the pavement pretty hard, and posted a total review on the SV1000's site

The only one with pics

You can see the cool looking coat that goes with those cool looking gloves went to *crap*, so hit full armoured leathers if you can. You'll thank yourself come cooler days anyway.

I wear combat boots....(military has it's perks, ya know)....and they're faboo, but as long as your boots are leather and cover your ankle, you're pretty covered. Hell, I've got a pair of leather HEELS that I ride on occasionally.

Draggin jeans is another good hit, if you're willing to pay the money. Otherwise, Denim works just fine as long as you've got something in both back pockets.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
firefighter81 said:
No I haven't wanna give me a link to it?
Tried, but it's in the old archives and they're not working at the moment. Basically the glue behind one of the pieces of the inner lining let go and a piece of the guy's helmet was coming out. Icon sent him a new helmet and he had the same problem again.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
dirpnirptik said:
I wear combat boots....(military has it's perks, ya know)....and they're faboo, but as long as your boots are leather and cover your ankle, you're pretty covered. Hell, I've got a pair of leather HEELS that I ride on occasionally.

Draggin jeans is another good hit, if you're willing to pay the money. Otherwise, Denim works just fine as long as you've got something in both back pockets.
Riding boots are more rigid to limit unwanted movements, and offer impact protection in the form of plastic/carbon armor in most cases, rather than just abrasion resistance, which any decent leather boot can provide (I wouldn't think that the leather in your heels is very hardcore, btw). Combat boots are made for walking in, after all, even though they are quite tough. Those Levi's didn't work out too well for your bf's knees it seems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
dirpnirptik said:
I have a pair of the Icon Timax gloves and they're Awesome....that's a faboo choice, and they're worth EVERY penny. My BF endooooopsed after a car cut out in front of him and slammed on their brakes. He hit the pavement pretty hard, and posted a total review on the SV1000's site

Denim works just fine as long as you've got something in both back pockets.
:bsflag
Sorry, Very many people with Timax gloves have them fall apart on impact, as the seams are on the outside, which is a huge no no for riding gloves. I am glad you like them and I am very glad you didn't get hurt with them on. They are definitely the best looking glove out there, but for the price much much much better gloves are available, as long as looks isn't all you are after that is.

Combat boots do almost nothing in a fall besides slight abrasion resistance, which doesn't cause very many foot injurys that I know of. Look at a pair of Sidis to see what a real boot should look like, they provide incredibly more protection compared to anything not made specificly for motorcycling, and no, you don't need Sidi race boots to be protected, but that is just an example :)

And last off, Denim does nothing in a slide, it may prevent a very very small amount of road rash but basically if you are sliding long enough and hard enough to get road rash denim wont do anything, testing has backed this up.

Better than nothing yes, better than most...no.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, his knees got smoshed, heh, but he DID walk away from it, thanks to a can of altoids (of all things).

The timax gloves that I've got I've seen through a *couple* dumps. So far, only one rivet from the palm missing.

As for the boots? Most of my riding friends are military, and this is what they wear. Never heard any complaints, and never seen a busted ankle. Even out of my less-than-graceful bf.

This gear isn't going to help you in a massive crash, but in that case, very little will. I'm betting on the "Most accidents occur at under 30 mph" statistic, and at under 30, this will all do JUST fine. Hell, over 30, not even alpinestar and arai's are going to save your rear. I dont Highly Recommend jeans....As a matter of fact, I recommend leathers or draggin jeans..(see earlier post)....but denim *does* afford a decent amount of protection for most falls.

And yes, believe it or not, the heel leather is probably the most rigid on those boots. Had a buddy who was REALLY disgruntled with Basic Training take a freakin hammer to a pair of his. The stupid heel was all that was left....And still shiney! The ankle is the weakest point on them, and even then, they keep the concrete out.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
dirpnirptik said:
Yeah, his knees got smoshed, heh, but he DID walk away from it, thanks to a can of altoids (of all things).

The timax gloves that I've got I've seen through a *couple* dumps. So far, only one rivet from the palm missing.

As for the boots? Most of my riding friends are military, and this is what they wear. Never heard any complaints, and never seen a busted ankle. Even out of my less-than-graceful bf.

This gear isn't going to help you in a massive crash, but in that case, very little will. I'm betting on the "Most accidents occur at under 30 mph" statistic, and at under 30, this will all do JUST fine. Hell, over 30, not even alpinestar and arai's are going to save your rear. I dont Highly Recommend jeans....As a matter of fact, I recommend leathers or draggin jeans..(see earlier post)....but denim *does* afford a decent amount of protection for most falls.

And yes, believe it or not, the heel leather is probably the most rigid on those boots. Had a buddy who was REALLY disgruntled with Basic Training take a freakin hammer to a pair of his. The stupid heel was all that was left....And still shiney! The ankle is the weakest point on them, and even then, they keep the concrete out.

Hummmmm, lets see, I've been through about 10 crashes at the track, everything from a 40mph lowside with about a 30 foot "slide and get up running" to a 110mph highside. I've had broken collarbones, fingers, wrists, etc, but because of wearing proper leather gear I've NEVER had even mildly significant road rash. So don't tell me that my leathers aren't going to save my ass and back, when I've been there, and done that. I slid about 300 feet once, the whole time on my back, and not a bit of road rash, a couple pinched areas where the leather bunched up slightly, but nothing else.

Leather will save your skin, jeans (even those Draggin Jeans) are not proper gear and are not gonna save you from anything. I pray that none of you ever have to experience some of the crashes I've had with the gear you wear, you wouldn't have been nearly as well-off as I was. Just be safe out there, and when you are going through the mind-numbing pain of skin grafts, don't tell me I didn't tell ya so.

Edit: BTW, I'm in the military, these boots aren't gonna do anywhere near as well as proper riding boots will, I've got a couple friends who have wrecked wearing combat boots who can vouch for that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all replys so far

Good morning,
So i will cross icon off and keep looking at the AGV sport Force, Teknic, alpine star. Ohh how is Hein-gericke for leather jackets because motorcyclecloseouts have the Leather tribal on sale for 175$ from 400$. I am curious what your thoughts are on this. I would really like something that has some sort of liner for colder season. Although it might not cost much more to buy a seperate liner.. hmm..

After looking at the prices of the agvsport, alpinestar gloves the price of the timax makes me cringe ;-) Sor I will keep looking at these.

As for helmet.. I have tried on a few.. going to try on some more tonight. I am really tempted to try and order the scorpion.. I just wish I could find a place to really try it on.

As for boots What are your recommendations. I am looking for something that is comfortable on the bike as well as walking around for a coupe of hours. Also I am not looking for boots that will make me stick out like a sore thumb either.

Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
aboivin said:
As for boots What are your recommendations. I am looking for something that is comfortable on the bike as well as walking around for a coupe of hours. Also I am not looking for boots that will make me stick out like a sore thumb either.

Thanks
As for boots, I would try www.newenough.com , No boot will be very good for walking in for hours at a time, but I am sure a more street oriented boot will be alot better than a more race type. I would try and find a pair of Alpinestars or oxtar, or if you can afford it some Sidi's. They all make atleast some street boot, you can also check out www.motorcycleleatherexchange.com as they have street boots from time to time. I think you are pretty safe if you stay with boots from brands that are recomended for leathers.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
aboivin said:

Thanks
Well the thing about boots is, it's all up to what you are willing to tolerate. I love my Alpinestars race boots, there will be times where I've got my mind on other things walking around the paddock, and I'll leave my boots on for the whole day, and not really notice. But I think I've gotten used to it over the years. So try one of Sidi's or Alpinestar's less agressive boots, should do you fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the boots I am looking for are going to be used strictly for street right now. Not the race track. Although I did notice the alpinestar jet, and the sidi escape. Not sure who else out there has good boots for street use.

Thanks in advance for all recommendations/information

Armand

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Check out New Enough's closeout boots. There are a few on there that don't stand out. Don't be fooled though, you need just as much protection on the street as on the racetrack, if not more (impact protection rather than abrasion resistance, which is what flashy armored boots are good for). One of the mods has the Setup boots and he likes them a lot.

One of my friends got the Gericke Urban Warrior from Motorcycle Closeouts and it's pretty nice. It's not solely a matter of brand; a lot of brands produce cheap stuff and nice stuff. The Tribal looks very decent, I would take it over the other jackets you were considering.

Why are you set on a Scorpion helmet if I may ask? It's a brand new name and I haven't read one review yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts