Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as I live in San Antonio and from time to time it gets a bit warm here (this week it's all mid 90s)... I want to buy a mesh set (pants + jacket).

Can someone tell me some known brands that are decent in quality and wouldn't rape my wallet either?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not too hot...as long as your moving. Mine is black and I still get pretty hot in mine in 90+ heat at stop lights (a little cooler if you remove the back pad). Gets upward of 110 here, and at 100, I accept the increased risk of riding without a jacket. I just get too hot and start to loose my ability to focus/concentrate.

FWIW - for close to the same price, I would look at the Reactor S - similar to th Phoenix, but with leather on back of arms and across the shoulders (impact/slide areas).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wear my Vanson fully perffed armored leather jacket even when it's 90+ here in Florida. I also have a J/R Phoenix. Beleive it or not, i'm actually cooler in the Vanson (when i'm moving that is...). I also don't trust the lightweight phoenix and wear a kevlar shirt underneath it (that makes it even hotter). I don't even bother with the phoenix anymore and opt for the fully armored Vanson.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you're going to go with mesh, I'd recommend getting FieldSheer. All their mesh jackets come with CE armor... something that you won't find on the Joe Rocket Phoenix. FieldSheer has multiple mesh jackets to choose from... some with leather on the high abrasion areas (elbows, back, shoulders, chest).

Mesh feels very cool when riding, even in 90 degree weather. It keeps the sun off your skin and the air flows through it like a fan.

·
Registered
452 Posts
In addition to Fieldsheer, check out Gericke as well. Both offer mesh jackets and pants.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Fieldsheer Titanium Mesh jacket. Tons of armor and it keeps me nice and cool (except for my back under the pad). I feel like it would hold up pretty well in a crash...

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
In any real accident, where you are sliding on your back for a few feet that mesh crap does nothing. I've seen it before, all it did is make a pretty mesh design in the kids back where all the skin peeled off. Just pony up the dough and get vented leathers. I really feel sorry for you guys who think those mesh jackets offer good enough protection. I know what it's like to slide for 200+ feet on my back, and trust me, mesh isn't gonna do the job. But hey, it's your skin graft bills.

·
Registered
968 Posts
sjlee said:
If you're going to go with mesh, I'd recommend getting FieldSheer. All their mesh jackets come with CE armor... something that you won't find on the Joe Rocket Phoenix. FieldSheer has multiple mesh jackets to choose from... some with leather on the high abrasion areas (elbows, back, shoulders, chest).

Mesh feels very cool when riding, even in 90 degree weather. It keeps the sun off your skin and the air flows through it like a fan.
+1

I've got the Mach 1 and Titanium Air Pants. Temps have been in the 90's. No problems.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I live in Dallas so I know about your temps...I wear a Fieldsheer Mach 3 that I just purchased and it is not too hot at all

·
Registered
968 Posts
jasfrmn said:
I live in Dallas so I know about your temps...I wear a Fieldsheer Mach 3 that I just purchased and it is not too hot at all
We need pics of that Mach 3!

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
firefighter81 said:
In any real accident, where you are sliding on your back for a few feet that mesh crap does nothing. I've seen it before, all it did is make a pretty mesh design in the kids back where all the skin peeled off. Just pony up the dough and get vented leathers. I really feel sorry for you guys who think those mesh jackets offer good enough protection. I know what it's like to slide for 200+ feet on my back, and trust me, mesh isn't gonna do the job. But hey, it's your skin graft bills.

I've seen quite a few pictures of people who went down in mesh jackets and had the jacket hold up well.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
I've seen quite a few pictures of people who went down in mesh jackets and had the jacket hold up well.
Well, I've seen a few IN PERSON where the jacket did not hold up well at all, I can't say I was paying attention to what brand they were, all I did was cut the rest of it off and put my attention on the patient. So believe what you want, but I've BEEN THERE, been there enough times to where I don't trust anything less than leather.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Anyone have any feelings on the Ikon Timax Mesh stuff? I'm very close to ordering it unless I get something that says I shouldn't. It doesn't appear to me that it is like the other mesh jacket's. Looks like there is almost no airflow throw them and it seems to have someone decent protection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Timax Mesh actually has really good airflow, it is just that it is not so visible that it flows well. I have had one for a month and it works great....the only spot that really does not get much flow is the back where the padding is. It has really worked out for me as it keeps me quite cool....there is nothing out there, however that can deal with the heat when you are stopped.....but some air is better than none.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Naughty76 said:
Anyone have any feelings on the Ikon Timax Mesh stuff? I'm very close to ordering it unless I get something that says I shouldn't. It doesn't appear to me that it is like the other mesh jacket's. Looks like there is almost no airflow throw them and it seems to have someone decent protection.
I tried it on at the dealership and those things are actually packing some serious armor and look/feel very good. One thing I noticed is the sizing is a bit off. I had to try on a couple to get it to fit right. So, I'd suggest stopping by the dealer that sells those to find out your exact size. Also, I've seen it on one of the sites for like $149

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I stopped by a dealer and the largest they had was XL... it was too short for me so I will go with the XXL. I'm 6'4 and maybe 250. $149? what site was that? I was thinking of buying from Noir in the vender section for $160. If I do get the jacket i am going to get the pants too. I have already made up my mind that I am gonna get the Timax gloves regardless. They just really seem well made.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Naughty76 said:
I stopped by a dealer and the largest they had was XL... it was too short for me so I will go with the XXL. I'm 6'4 and maybe 250. $149? what site was that? I was thinking of buying from Noir in the vender section for $160. If I do get the jacket i am going to get the pants too. I have already made up my mind that I am gonna get the Timax gloves regardless. They just really seem well made.
http://www.imotorcyclestore.com/ they don't publish the prices online, but when you send them an email, they shoot you straight back. The Ti-Max Mesh is $149.95

Part of the price list:
Jackets
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bling $ 299.95
Burner $ 334.95
Motorhead $ 269.95
Neo Daytona $ 284.95
Neo Daytona - Hero $ 319.95
TiMax $ 169.95
TiMax Mesh $ 149.95

1 - 20 of 29 Posts