Sport Bikes banner

Gear for a n00bie?

922 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  freeride 
#1 ·
Ok, I've seen full faced helmets with the front portion that is movable. Basically you can flip them up if you want. I don't know what the proper name is, but I'm curious if those are just as safe as the ones that don't move.

Also I'll be getting a jacket and gloves, but do I really need leather pants? I was hoping jeans would work.

#2 ·
Well those helmets are called convertibles but they are not Snell approved which means not as good protection. And they look gay. Just stick with a full face helmet. I would recommend a Leather jacket and gloves. I dont have leather pants but I haven't went to the track yet and only did a few canyon runs. So I wouldnt say they were a must. If you have the money for them instead get a Good helmet and leather jacket and good gloves.

#3 ·
The flip-up helmets are quite cool in function, but are obviously not going to protect you as well as a normal full-face helmet. That said, if you are considering a half-helmet, they are better protection than that. 40% of all serious crashes do damage to the chinbar of the crashed helmet. Without a chanbar, or with one that moves under serious pressure, that damage is translated to your lower face. Not a good thought. Get a good full-face.

Jeans are OK to start, but understand that denim will not hold up very well in a crash. Of course, jeans are better than shorts, but much less protection that leather or a padded texile alternative. Ballistic overpants, such as the ones made by Joe Rocket, can be found for under or around $100, and are meant to be worn over jeans or normal pants. They are cheap insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.