Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quartz display and speedometer "glass" is slightly scratched. Prob. from the previous owner (or even myself) cleaning it w/ a dirty rag or something. I can still read the information well, however there are noticeable surface scratches. Has anybody purchased just the plastics for this? Can this be done w/o replacing the actual cluster assembly itself?

For visual-oriented folks like myself, I've attached a pic of what I'm looking for. I can only seem to find the cluster assembly for sale (which as mileage from the previous machine, etc.) on eBay and other sites.

Attachments

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
I've got to do this with mine too, as my cluster face was damaged in the crash. I did take mine apart though, and you can indeed take the case halves apart and take the 'innerds' out and swap them into a new case quite easily. It's like 4 or 5 phillips screws on the back and it pops right open

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I would think that any glass shop could make you one out of plexy glass.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alaska cajun said:
I would think that any glass shop could make you one out of plexy glass.
More convinent to just click on the 'submit' button on Ron Ayers website though. For $45, the entire upper assembly.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
mikem317 said:
Thanks Jared! How's the repair comin' along?

I found a link on Ron Ayers that might both you and I out a bit...

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0...ter_01-05.cfm?man=ho&groupid=5230&parent=5220
Thanks for the link! Repairs are coming slowly... I've bought some of the parts myself (front upper fairing, front signals, taillight, and mirrors + a few more soon), but still waiting on the insurance check so I can buy everything I need. I hadn't heard anything from the insurance company in a week or so so I called them last monday to see what's up, and she said they were waiting on a few prices for the parts to finish the estimate. Now I called again on Friday (yest) and she said she talked to the guy in the tow truck, and now he's saying that he wasn't parked on the shoulder (he was just sitting there stopped on the side of the road... but he wasn't parked there :rolleyes ). He's saying that he was driving and everybody slammed on their brakes and he swerved onto the shoulder and stopped, and miraculously got his big International truck to a complete stop by the time I fell off and slid underneath it... yea, sure buddy. Soooo, the insurance is trying to get in contact with the guy in the minivan that was in front of me, but they only had an address no phone, so they sent him a couple letters. I ended up looking online and found the guys phone number, so I called her back and gave them his # so hopefully they can get ahold of him a little easier and get this resolved. I know what he'll say, he even told the FHP lady that the towtruck was stopped and that's why everybody slammed on their brakes. Stupid people always try and lie to get out of stuff.... oh well he'll regret it soon enough when I get a lawyer and sue him personally for the full repair bill.

Anyways, I may end up buying these plastics new too. I've been watching ebay for a whole cluster, but they seem to climb pretty high in price just like fairings, fairing stays, and headlights, so it may be cheaper to just buy the covers I need new, and since all the electronics in my cluster still work perfectly fine, I really don't need the whole thing anyways.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a heck of an ordeal. Hopefully you'll be up soon. I guess living in Boston, there would be more urgency since the riding season stops somewhere after the Indian Summer in October (usually by Halloween).

Maybe a lawyer would help. I'd contact a few if I were you if the situation turns really sour.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
mikem317 said:
More convinent to just click on the 'submit' button on Ron Ayers website though. For $45, the entire upper assembly.

Things that make you go ........HMMMMMMM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts