Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Awhile back when in the middle of my winter project I did change the backlight bulbs in my gauges and some of you thought that I should make a separate thread out of it so there it is.
I don't think I should get in much details about the gauge cluster removal because if you can figure that on your own it might be a bad idea to do this mod.Anyways....
- Remove windscreen
-remove gauge cluster form the fairing bracket by taking off the 3 little nuts that hold it on to it
-take the gages apart by undoing the screws that hold it together
At this point you should be looking at this:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In order to do this mod you will have to swap the 3 bulbs that are circeled in the image below:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know it sounds very easy so far and it is... but here comes the "hard" part. If you look at the leds and the stock bulbs you would notice that the leds are about 1mm taller than the bulbs. Not a big deal you'll say but it is. They just don't fit in the cluster since there is a small piece of plastic siting right above the mounting holes for the original bulbs(I tried to snap a pic of it but the cam just won't focus on such a small thingie. Sorry). All you have to do is find the smallest file you can get and carefuly file off about 1 mm of that plastic. It looked like a deal breaker to me but I opted to do it and I am really happy with the outcome:

NOTE: On another project(I was doing the same thing with my cage's gauges) I got the NEOx High Power LED Instrument bulb which are the second ones from the drop down menu on the site. Upon further examination I noticed that these leds are kinda flatter than the ones that I used in the bike's gauges. I don't know if that will cancel the filing of the plastic pieces in the cluster, but I think it's worth checking out. Plus they put out more intense color.
And one more thing that makes the prolect a little bit of a PITA:
since there are leds involved in this whole deal + and - do count so you will have to do a try and error type of a deal untill you figure out wich way the leds go in.
If you were as bored as I was at the time you could find on the net which pins from the harnes on the back oh the cluster you could jump so they power up and you check how good it works before you put the cluster back together. But I don't recomend that since you can shorten the gauges and we don't wan't that.
I hope this will be helpfull to somebody.
I know I enjoyed myself doing this mod.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And a little note to the moderators in the forum:
the few people that were checking my mods thread and who thought that should be in a new thread also thought that it should be made into a sticky. So if you think that is a good idea do your magic :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Kriv - do those Neo4 3mm twist lock connectors fit without modifying them? I caught the part about having to sand the LEDs, but when I bought some LEDs from them about a year ago I got the smallest twist lock instrument bulbs they carried, and they were too big. My only option would have been to remove the bulbs from the stock twist locks and try and solder or glue the LEDs in place. I wanted to be able to revery back to stock so I put the guages back on as they were.

Just FYI - those HP LEDs also have a larger angle of light output, so they should light up the gauges more evenly. The regular show an angle of 100 degrees, the HP are 120 degrees.

Are the normal ones just right at night, or are they really bright? I want to go to blue as well, but worried the HP ones will be obnoxiously bright and distracting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Kriv - do those Neo4 3mm twist lock connectors fit without modifying them? I caught the part about having to sand the LEDs, but when I bought some LEDs from them about a year ago I got the smallest twist lock instrument bulbs they carried, and they were too big. My only option would have been to remove the bulbs from the stock twist locks and try and solder or glue the LEDs in place. I wanted to be able to revery back to stock so I put the guages back on as they were.

Just FYI - those HP LEDs also have a larger angle of light output, so they should light up the gauges more evenly. The regular show an angle of 100 degrees, the HP are 120 degrees.

Are the normal ones just right at night, or are they really bright? I want to go to blue as well, but worried the HP ones will be obnoxiously bright and distracting.
you don't sand the leds you file of the plastic in the cluster that doesn't alow the led to be fully inserted. I don't think they were too big. If any of them goes out I will change it with the wide angle ones.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Do either of you guys know the numbers for the light and twist socket. I just want to verify that they bulbs are t-3 and the sockets are #74. Thats what my research has found.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do either of you guys know the numbers for the light and twist socket. I just want to verify that they bulbs are t-3 and the sockets are #74. Thats what my research has found.
According to bikebandit.com the bulbs are:
92069A: BULB,T3,12V0.7W
I have no idea about the sockets.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
According to bikebandit.com the bulbs are:
92069A: BULB,T3,12V0.7W
I have no idea about the sockets.
Yeah thats the same info I found on the parts diagram at kawasaki.com. I think I might have found some LED bulbs that don't require any filing or guage disassembly because they might be direct replacements. I think I need to pull one of the stock bulbs and measure its length and base width. I am pretty sure the stock socket is #74 and thats what the bulbs I found fit but I want to make sure before I spend the $10 for the bulbs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah thats the same info I found on the parts diagram at kawasaki.com. I think I might have found some LED bulbs that don't require any filing or guage disassembly because they might be direct replacements. I think I need to pull one of the stock bulbs and measure its length and base width. I am pretty sure the stock socket is #74 and thats what the bulbs I found fit but I want to make sure before I spend the $10 for the bulbs.
Souds good. Let us know how it comes out. And where are you getting these bulbs from?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
autolumination.com has bulbs for instrument clusters. The ones they sell are 20mm long so I need to measure the stock ones to see if these would fit without modification. If not they sell colored bulbs that aren't LED but thats a last resort. Your method looks pretty good so if these LEDs aren't the right size I'll go with what you have.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
autolumination.com has bulbs for instrument clusters. The ones they sell are 20mm long so I need to measure the stock ones to see if these would fit without modification. If not they sell colored bulbs that aren't LED but thats a last resort. Your method looks pretty good so if these LEDs aren't the right size I'll go with what you have.
Well? :eatpop

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Well I ran out to check. The stock bulb and socket together are 11mm long. At the website I previously mentioned there are some Japanese OEM Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs. The Type A (T3) are 10mm tall and look like they would fit right in because the socket looks the same and the height would clear so no filing. They are $4 each plus shipping ($16 for me) so I am not going to order them until I decide if I want to go that route or get the guage face that glows. The LEDs look brighter then I would want but I like the blue.

The bulbs Kriv got at 12.1mm tall so that would explain the clearance issue since I placed a small screw driver in the hole to measure total clearance and it was about 11mm.

The only possible issue with fitment of the bulbs I found will be the base width. But we will have to put them in to see.

Edit: Here is what I am thinking of doing instead. Motorcycle Parts & Accessories : Glow Gauges, Illumiglo Gauges, Clear LED Taillights with Integrated Turn Signals, Fender Eliminators
It looks cleaner and changes the guage faces to white during the day. Down side is that it is more expencive

·
Registered
470 Posts
glad too see my pics came in handy kriv4o :beer your sayin you got the 2 lumen but the ones you got for the cage are the 6 lumen. so how bright are the bikes gauges currently? do you think the 6's would be too bright?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts