Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

another post by me regarding this stupid 1989 Katana 600 I bought a couple weeks back.

I got it for $900 and I seem to keep finding problems with it which is making me nervous.

First it was a high idle after my bike really warms up...

Then I notice a rattle in the engine that increases with the RPM's on the bike.

Now.. I have had what looked like a small oil leak coming from the bottom of my bike.. it looked like it was coming from around a bolt that is directly below the oil filter. However, despite this leak I've noticed that I had high levels of oil still in my bike (the oil level window has been really high since I bought it- completely filling the window when the bike is upright). I decided today to open the oil lid and I sniffed the oil because it seemed to be really light in color and I noticed it smelled like gasoline. Now I think that small leak might also be gasoline, but I don't know?

This has me really worried, I don't know what the problem is or where to start. I don't know if several of my problems are linked to one problem, or are just independant issues i need to have fixed. I do not know how safe it is to ride around town with these issues.

Please help me out, all my previous threads have gotten very little responses and just fall to the bottom- but with this gas in my oil thing I really need to have any feedback that's possible...

I tried the katriders.com forum for some additional help but I can't even get registered there as it won't send me a confirmation e-mail to any e-mail address.

Any help is really really appreciated, thank you.

Also - the bike currently has 38,500 miles on it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
How high is the oil level while on the side stand? If you can see any oil in the window while on the side stand, it's WAY too full. Oil level should be near the F line in the window with the bike upright, not above the F liine. A bad gasket or stuck carb float could cause gas to get into the oil.

DO NOT ride the bike until this is resolved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes when the bike is on the side stand the oil level is how it should look when it is upright (it is in the middle of the two lines). When the bike is upright the window is compeltely full.

I will not run the bike anymore if this is a serious issue, but what exactly do I need to do to get it fixed? Does the high idle or rattle give any clue as to whether it's a bad gasket or stuck carb or anything else?

I just made this purchase and I don't want to scrap the bike because I don't have much money and I want to get this thing fixed and working. Can I repair these issues?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I'm not sure where to start. Drain the oil, change the filter, and refill to the right level.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0...r_model_k.cfm?man=su&groupid=4870&parent=4850

Drain the carb bowls then pull them off the bottom of the carbs and check the floats.

If they seem OK, reassemble the carbs and run the bike for a bit. It may take a while to start as the carbs will be empty. Listen for the rattle your heard earlier and keep a real close eye on the oil level.

After that??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found out that I have been riding around my bike with the fuel on the petcock on the "Prime" position (my fairings have no label so i didn't know). I just fixed it and put it to the "on" position (pointing down I believe). I've put about 80 miles on the bike while in "prime."

Could this have been contributing to the problem (or any of my problems) or is this just some stupid other unrelated thing that I didn't notice before?

Thanks.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Yes if its left on the prime position its very easy to flood the carbs and dump gas down into the cylinders and on in to the crankcase. You did change oil and filter right?? If so you should be ok, wouldn't hurt to change it again in 500 or so miles....

How loud is the rattle? The Gixxer motors of that design aren't the most quiet.....

·
old member
13,079 Posts
^^ +1 The prime petcock position essentially lets gas flow into the carbs independent of float position to get the bowls filled again when you drain them. If left in PRIME, the bowls overflow and, as was said, gas can run down the cylinder walls much like a float stuck open. Definitely change the oil and filter now, check the oil level ofen, smell for gas in the oil, and change oil/filter again in 500 miles.

·
Squid Poacher
1,831 Posts
you might want to consider an engine restorative additive while your at it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
RayOSV said:
^^ +1 The prime petcock position essentially lets gas flow into the carbs independent of float position to get the bowls filled again when you drain them. If left in PRIME, the bowls overflow and, as was said, gas can run down the cylinder walls much like a float stuck open. Definitely change the oil and filter now, check the oil level ofen, smell for gas in the oil, and change oil/filter again in 500 miles.
The prime position only bypasses the vacuum operated petcock. The float level is controled by the float which floats on the fuel and exerts pressure on the float needle valve which shuts off the fuel going into the carb. The problem with this bike could be a leaking petcock vacuum diaphram which alows the fuel to bypass the carbs and be rerouted into the intake manifold or the fuel float needle is not closing properly thus alowing the fuel level to be too high. Remove the vacuum tube from the petcock and see if it has fuel in it. If it does then replace petcock or diaphram. If it does not I predict a carb cleaning in your future

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
change the oil and put a can of "Restore" engine treatment in with the oil - it will loosen up the rings. I used it in a '92 Kat 1100 after I bought it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Veefer97 said:
The prime position only bypasses the vacuum operated petcock. The float level is controled by the float which floats on the fuel and exerts pressure on the float needle valve which shuts off the fuel going into the carb. The problem with this bike could be a leaking petcock vacuum diaphram which alows the fuel to bypass the carbs and be rerouted into the intake manifold or the fuel float needle is not closing properly thus alowing the fuel level to be too high. Remove the vacuum tube from the petcock and see if it has fuel in it. If it does then replace petcock or diaphram. If it does not I predict a carb cleaning in your future
Good points and a good reason to always turn the petcock to off when you park the bike.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'd say maybe the carb float needles and needle seats are gunked up so it's not shutting off the fuel to the engine and allowing it to go straight in.

If the bike sat for a period of some months this is more than likely.

·
Registered
899 Posts
RayOSV said:
How high is the oil level while on the side stand? If you can see any oil in the window while on the side stand, it's WAY too full. Oil level should be near the F line in the window with the bike upright, not above the F liine. A bad gasket or stuck carb float could cause gas to get into the oil.

DO NOT ride the bike until this is resolved.
solid advice...the gas will break down the lubracation of the oil and in time your engine can go kaboom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts