Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ever since i got my bike I have always gotten a gas smell when ever I shut off the bike. When I start up the bike after sitting a while... liquid comes out of my pipe. Its probably condinsation but i was just a little worried since i smell gas every time I shut off the bike. Is that normal???


Thanks
-zack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
is the 2002 gsxr 600 injected? I think it is but i'm not sure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Yes, the 02 is fuel injected. Simply check your fuel lines for any cracks or leaks. Also, make sure your tank vent line is routed correctly and isn't pinched. Any liquid coming out of your pipe is most likely condensation. If you actually had pure gas dripping out of your exhaust pipe, I doubt you'd be able to get your bike to start. There is a small chance that your injectors could be leaking too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redstar11 said:
Yes, the 02 is fuel injected. Simply check your fuel lines for any cracks or leaks. Also, make sure your tank vent line is routed correctly and isn't pinched. Any liquid coming out of your pipe is most likely condensation. If you actually had pure gas dripping out of your exhaust pipe, I doubt you'd be able to get your bike to start. There is a small chance that your injectors could be leaking too.


Thanks for the help ill check it out.
Not really too big of a deal though is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Red star doesn't know anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
As long as your bike is running fine, IE not fouling plugs, poor idle, flat spots in the powerband, or something obvious like a puddle of gas underneath your bike, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redstar11 said:
As long as your bike is running fine, IE not fouling plugs, poor idle, flat spots in the powerband, or something obvious like a puddle of gas underneath your bike, I wouldn't worry about it too much.


I actually do have a flat spot but i think its more a result of my exhaust leak. I think...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
evils-03-RR said:
sounds like a pinched fuel line to me, and it may be leaking i'd check it out. Remove the tank and take a gander, it may be worth the effort if your leaking fuel....

yeah i think you are right.... i rode in front of a buddy the other day and he sayed he smelt gas every time i got on it.... i guess ill check it out soon...

The only place i need to look under the gas tank??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Just check your fuel lines running from your tank, to your fuel injectors on your intake manifold. I dont think it's very likely that you have pinched them, or else your fuel pressure would skyrocket and you'd probably having fuel delivery issues, such as poor idle and hard starting. Just pull your tank up and look for leaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
check to see if you have any gas in your oil. you could have a float needle in your carbs going bad and allowing gas to get down into the pistons and mix in with the gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kawiboy said:
check to see if you have any gas in your oil. you could have a float needle in your carbs going bad and allowing gas to get down into the pistons and mix in with the gas.

Im glad you brought this back up...

i checked the lines and they seemed fine. I still smell the gas though.

My bike is actually not carburated but could you translate that into FI please?

Thanks
Zack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
have you checked the fuel pump gasket? i know my bike leaks from there, and that is something i need to take care of soon.

matt
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top