Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CBR F4i that I just changed the oil on and it smelled like gas. The bike seemed to run ok and I don't recall seeing any smoke from the pipes. The bike has a little over 16K miles on it and I've changed the oil religiously since new. I haven't had the valves adjusted yet.

Due to a non riding related injury I haven't ridden the bike much in the past 10 months or so. The Honda tech I called said it may be just non use if I don't experience any performance reduction riding the bike. However, I'm a bit nervous if is a problem and I continue riding it that I'll damage the engine which could be much more costly.

Any ideas on what can be the cause of the gas smell or where I should begin to look?

Thanks,

Marc

·
we the people ...right?
926 Posts
I know in the past when ever my bike is running rich,
gas will 'bypass' the rings and end up in the oil.
Most deff not the way ya want to run the bike.

Other then that...
not too sure what the prob might be.

Maybe youre petcock/fule cut off, is not cutting off
and 'seeping' gas into your cylinders? Maybe.
I had an old KZ650 that would flood out if it set with
the petcock on.

Good luck.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
it's normal for used oil to have a slight gas smell to it. everything I've ever changed oil in has.
from lawnmowers to motorcycles and cars. that's why you really shouldn't go a whole lot longer than the 3k mile mark in my opinion. but everyone these days like to advertise using oil for very very long. it's something I'll never do.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If its a carbed model with a manual fuel tap , Turn the fuel off every time you park it up. Might be time for some time/money to be spend on giving the carbs a birthday.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
I think its pretty normal. It could be that letting it sit caused things to settle in your oil more then you are used to.

If it runs ok, i wouldn't worry about it. Gas burns out of hot oil quickly.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Whenever my F4i smells of fuel in the oil, I know it is time to change the plugs or air filter or both 16K miles probably both , if you haven't already changed them

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Whenever my F4i smells of fuel in the oil, I know it is time to change the plugs or air filter or both 16K miles probably both , if you haven't already changed them
I actually do the same thing, but use the 'weird smell' as my indicator to change the oil. It seems very regular and predictable.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I have a CBR F4i that I just changed the oil on and it smelled like gas. The bike seemed to run ok and I don't recall seeing any smoke from the pipes. The bike has a little over 16K miles on it and I've changed the oil religiously since new. I haven't had the valves adjusted yet.

Due to a non riding related injury I haven't ridden the bike much in the past 10 months or so. The Honda tech I called said it may be just non use if I don't experience any performance reduction riding the bike. However, I'm a bit nervous if is a problem and I continue riding it that I'll damage the engine which could be much more costly.

Any ideas on what can be the cause of the gas smell or where I should begin to look?

Thanks,

Marc
If its been sitting, you may have a stuck float or inlet needle that is allowing gas to dump into the cylinder. Is it running poorly, or just has the gas smell?

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
If its been sitting, you may have a stuck float or inlet needle that is allowing gas to dump into the cylinder. Is it running poorly, or just has the gas smell?
F4i

I = injection.

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
On no your bike is dead! NO really it's dead. You should give it to me at a very low price so that I can work on it and maybe fix it.

No just kidding!
Not it's perfectly normal to have you oil smell a little like gas. Think about it, how fast does that little engine of your spin? And well you are bound to get some unburned gas getting past the rings. It happens. Hence why you should always change your oil every 3k miles.
It's not that the oil has stopped working rather that the oil has now become so filled with impurities such as gas that it's viscosity has dropped to a point where it's not really doing it's job.
Don't worry it's normal.
Now if you had told us there were other things in the oil such as water or anti freeze then we would worry. But gas.....don't worry too much about it.

·
Mt Vesuvius
1,360 Posts
if it smells like gas...did you fart while changing your oil...

anyway...

change it...ride it...and if the fuel smell comes back then i would worry...otherwise ride it like you stole it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
UNburn fuel. Piston rings , valves, leaking injectors ,spark plugs . Driving the bike for short rides and not warming up all the way .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts