Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the price of gas started to go through the roof here. I've noticed alot of people riding motorbikes. With this be a new trend now since the price per barrel is over $65 USD?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, the fact that I should be buying $2.85 91 octane (for 05 R5, using the spec gas, for now) kinda negates the gas mileage idea.... :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I doubt there will be many more sportbikes around but I have been seeing a lot more mopeds and scooters running around. A source of mine tells me that gas on the east coast is gonna reach $3/gallon by the end of September. I think I'm gonna have to throw some snow tires on my bike.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I guess you can't beat a 250 in terms of gas millage.

65-70mpg for something that can travel at highway speeds on 87oct gas, is pretty fucking good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My MSF instructor said that she expects the sale of Motorcycles to go through the roof over the next few years because of the gas prices. Witch is good i guess cause itll giv more exposure to the sport, but also bad cause itll drive the price of bikes through the roof.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Rodes said:
My MSF instructor said that she expects the sale of Motorcycles to go through the roof over the next few years because of the gas prices. Witch is good i guess cause itll giv more exposure to the sport, but also bad cause itll drive the price of bikes through the roof.
yeah but she probably has no way of knowing the projected sales of these companys. There is a reason that she is a msf instructor, and not Chief Financial officer for honda. Anybody can say whatever they want, it doesnt have to be true. Now i do believe there will be more sales, but gas prices are not the reason. Bikes are becoming trendy and popular, and now everyone wants in on it. I dont think gas prices will effect it in the least. Think about some of the people you see driving cars. Just because a bike gets good gas mileage, does not mean these people will want to, or be capable of riding them. They will most likely move towards the hybrid cars, and other foreign makes that get good MPG. I guess that point im trying to make is dont believe what everyone says. Besides im starting production on a jetpack that runs on carrots. It is going to single handedly put the aviation(airlines) and car industry out of business. Just you wait.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
XxIcEmAnxX said:
Besides im starting production on a jetpack that runs on carrots. It is going to single handedly put the aviation(airlines) and car industry out of business. Just you wait.
Big deal. So then the demand of carrots gets higher, the prices go through the roof, and the Carrot Growers of America will have us right where they want us! You are nothing but a pawn in the C.G.A's clenched fists! :spank

·
Registered
195 Posts
Gas prices are up for a few reasons... Saudi Arabia just got a new king... terrorism... hurricane season.... uncertainty about reserves/adequate supply to name a few key factors. I think gas is gonna go down a lot by november if not earlier... but who knows what could happen...

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
don't know if I'll see alot of new motorcycles around here, everyone likes to drive suv's, suburbans, and h2,3's around here to care about the gas prices it seems.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
crx81 said:
Big deal. So then the demand of carrots gets higher, the prices go through the roof, and the Carrot Growers of America will have us right where they want us! You are nothing but a pawn in the C.G.A's clenched fists! :spank
LoL at least someone gets my jokes :eek:nfloor

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
XxIcEmAnxX said:
yeah but she probably has no way of knowing the projected sales of these companys. There is a reason that she is a msf instructor, and not Chief Financial officer for honda. Anybody can say whatever they want, it doesnt have to be true. Now i do believe there will be more sales, but gas prices are not the reason. Bikes are becoming trendy and popular, and now everyone wants in on it. I dont think gas prices will effect it in the least. Think about some of the people you see driving cars. Just because a bike gets good gas mileage, does not mean these people will want to, or be capable of riding them. They will most likely move towards the hybrid cars, and other foreign makes that get good MPG. I guess that point im trying to make is dont believe what everyone says. Besides im starting production on a jetpack that runs on carrots. It is going to single handedly put the aviation(airlines) and car industry out of business. Just you wait.
I agree with most this statement.

Anybody remember 5 years ago when gas was .97 cents a gallon. Good thing I wasn't driving then :upyours :upyours

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gas could cost $5 a gallon and it would still be the cheapest thrill out there, nothing beats flying down the highway or through the twisties....

On the other hand it really sucks when you're commuting instead of just having fun.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
Nah Motorbike sales climbed and climbed for many years in the 90's and peaked a year or two ago thanks mostly to lame yuppies going through some crisis and buying cruisers they shouldn't be riding with all that disposable income the netted on their ebay stock before the bottom fell out. Money being tighter, and the fact that these yuppie fake bad ass biker people are killing themselves left right and center more people will be buying scoots, biking's extra commitment and risks keeps the numbers pretty steady over the long term.Scooters are now no longer lame, a good thing because there is no better or more effecient way to get around and the sight of all the trucks and their elephantine dressed up twin sister SUV out there that serve no purpose other than pleasing the idiot inside's stupid ego and giving the maker huge marginal profits by rebadging the same farmers vehicle/tool and selling the same shit box hand over fist is getting real old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dunno. Here in Florida, I still see way too many new SUVs on the road. In any case I get 40mpg in my civic versus 35mpg with my R6 and its premium so there is no reason to ride the bike for my work commute.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crap...teh price of gas in Toronto is $1.14 for premium. :-(

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think its funny that people hate SUV's so much. They are a good balance between a full size truck and a car ... I used to tow with my jeep all the time and now that I have to tow with my car, I miss my jeep even more then I did before.

Not to mention that my jeep had a lot more space them my car and all wheel drive for the snow and was fun to take offroad.

if you dont want an suv then dont buy one, but some of us use them for what they are meant for, which is a balance between a truck and a car.

and dont say get a van, cause they get just as bad of milage.

Oh yeah, gas prices ...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Lamah said:
I think its funny that people hate SUV's so much. They are a good balance between a full size truck and a car ... I used to tow with my jeep all the time and now that I have to tow with my car, I miss my jeep even more then I did before.

Not to mention that my jeep had a lot more space them my car and all wheel drive for the snow and was fun to take offroad.

if you dont want an suv then dont buy one, but some of us use them for what they are meant for, which is a balance between a truck and a car.

and dont say get a van, cause they get just as bad of milage.

Oh yeah, gas prices ...
People who have SUV's for a reason aren't the problem, the problem is the middle aged soccer mom who gets a Maibatsu Monstrosity so she can cart her 2 kids to school and back, because she wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan, or god forbid a station wagon. Or the guy who buys the H2 because he thinks that the women will want him because he has money. (incidentally, the H2 is the most worthless motor vehicle I have ever had the misfortune to witness, it is a freakin box on a silverado frame, with no room, or visibility)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lamah said:

I think it's not so much that people hate "SUV's in general", I think it's more that they hate yuppies driving Hummers, Escalades, Navigators, Denalis, etc while talking on their cellphone, and drinking starbucks--not watching out for motorcycles, smaller vehicles, etc. Ever notice that it's almost always just 1 person driving these land yaughts that have seating for 10? If there weren't so many idiots driving these chromed-out, overpriced pieces of shit, gas prices would go down. A lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't hate SUV's. I just don't like the way the general population uses them. SUV's were meant to have fun and go on adventure off road and not picking the kids in an oversize luxury gas guzzler.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts