Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, I know this belongs in the automotive, but I ask that you please don't move it...I posted in here because it will get many more views and hopefully alot of responses...

Now...I'm thinking about getting another truck that gets decent gas mileage...My truck (below) gets crappy mpg...The reason for the possibility is because I'd like to do more track days but the nearest track is 3-4 hours away...And by the time you get gas ($100+ there and back), track fee ($105), tires ($200-300), and everything else, one track day gets expensive...

So I'd like to hear about your mpg's...It has to be a truck because I'd be putting it in the bed...I've done many track days and I've never had a problem getting all my equiptment in the bed, so I'm not worried about mpg with a trailer...

Thanks for any replys...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
2004 Hemi Ram 1500 QC just filled my 2nd tank, 1st tank 265mil for 22Gal, 2nd tank 275mile for 24Gal.

avg like 11-12 mile/gal. all local street driving.
trucks are not built for good milage i guess.
i have check small trucks like tacoma it sticker at 14-19mile/gal with a 6 cyclinder. so it is not much more then my full size truck.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
tow the bike w/ the miata. done that before......:twofinger.......we use the camry now.......:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Go buy a beater small truck and use that. I have a 2wd Ford Ranger with an 7 or 8 foot bed that gets 25-30 mpg. I haul my bike in it sometimes and it runs pretty well even with the extra weight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a 6 cyl. full size chevy with a 5 speed, and the best I ever got out of it was probably 22 on the highway. I usually got less than that though due to having to whip the piss out of it to get it to get out of its own way.

I assume that your Ford isn't a diesel. I have heard that they get between 15 and 20 mpg usually, but diesel is usually alot cheaper than unleaded, so you gasoline equivalent would be 20-25 mpg. Just a thought.

Nice truck BTW

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I have a 4sp V6 Ford Sporttrac and i get about 15mpg on street

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Mmm...let's see. I have a 2001 4x2 Ford SportTrac (V-6) and the specs say I'm supposed to get 15 street/19 hwy mpg with the stock setup. The only mod I have on my truck is the K&N Filter cone and the mileage increase isn't worth noting (.1 to .4).

I've towed (bike rack) my bike and my cousin's Gixxer 750 and have noticed a slight decrease in gas mileage, but nothing too terrible. Filling my tank and taking her to and from the track in Bakersfield (Buttonwillow) runs about $48 [cost to fill my tank with 91 gas], and I still have plenty when we get back to L.A.

For the time I took my bike to San Diego in the truck bed (had to use a bed extender to make it fit), it was the same thing....tank of gas got me there and back; $48.

I'd like to get an F-150 next year but if gas prices continue as they are...well.....

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
repsol said:
2004 Hemi Ram 1500 QC just filled my 2nd tank, 1st tank 265mil for 22Gal, 2nd tank 275mile for 24Gal.

avg like 11-12 mile/gal. all local street driving.
I used my bro-in-laws Hemi for my last track day(pic below)...The mpg was brutal...I was pulling a 23 foot camper with the bike in the back of the truck and got, at best 7-8 mpg :2eek...Nice trucks, though...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RACER X said:
tow the bike w/ the miata. done that before......:twofinger.......we use the camry now.......:)
I don't want to do that to the wifeys car (she dosen't either :lol )...I like the Camry idea, though...

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big15 said:
Go buy a beater small truck and use that. I have a 2wd Ford Ranger with an 7 or 8 foot bed that gets 25-30 mpg. I haul my bike in it sometimes and it runs pretty well even with the extra weight.
This is what I'm leaning towards...I'm going to hit some of the local auctions and see what kind of $$$ they're selling for...

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nate99 said:
I assume that your Ford isn't a diesel. I have heard that they get between 15 and 20 mpg usually, but diesel is usually alot cheaper than unleaded, so you gasoline equivalent would be 20-25 mpg. Just a thought.

Nice truck BTW
Yeah, it's a regret I live with...I didn't think I'd ever like a diesel when I bought that truck, but I really wouldn't mind having one now...And yeah, their gas is soooooo much cheaper...

Thanks for the compliment...

And for the record, I'm not selling the Ford, I just want a track hauler...

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stephygee said:
I'd like to get an F-150 next year but if gas prices continue as they are...well.....
Great truck, but yeah, gas prices are putting a hurt on everyone...

Thanks for all your replies, everyone...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get a diesel.. you can't go wrong! I've been stealing my dad's '04 silverado for a couple trackdays, (crew cab, 6.6L diesel) and with 4 people in the cab, one bike in the box and pulling an 18' enclosed trailer with two bikes and all the gear in it, it still managed to get 18mpg. When its empty he claims he's getting 23mpg. But thats driving like an old man.. :D

Its not totally stock, its got a K&N intake, Gibson cat-back exhaust, and a hypertech programmer (programmer on the lowest setting which really helps for milage).

I've got an S10 which I used once to get my bike to the track (bike in the back).. It normally gets 22mpg all around, i think it got about 17 going to the track fully loaded. Used to have an '02 ram 4.7L, that got about 13 all around. I never pulled the bike trailer with it but pulling a loaded 26' enclosed snomobile trailer it got 7mpg..

·
Registered
519 Posts
diesel ...only way to go..18-22mpg and 200hp AND 400LB FT TORQUE....at work we just got new programmers for the dodge cummins....180hp gain and 300 ftlb torque gain....yea stock stranny wont like it but damn 400hp and 600lb ft rule

1 - 15 of 15 Posts