Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled my tank up the other day with gas. And when I came home this afternoon I could smell gas throughout my house. I went in the garage and noticed a small puddle of gas under and around my bike.

The leakage is coming from one of the bottom pipes (don't know what that's called). I did overfilled my tank. Never noticed this happening before. Does this sound like a very serious problem? My bike has close to 8,000 miles on it.

I'm a female and not mechanically inclined at all.

linc2

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
how far did you have to ride from the gas station to your house?

Gasoline is usually pretty cold when it first goes in the tank... as it warms up it expands & if you fill it to the brim & don't burn off enough it has to go somewhere... so it goes up & out the overflow.

If you didn't fill it to the brim or you did ride it for a while then there may be another issue. Just keep an eye on things... as long as it's running like a top & doesn't happen again then you shouldn't worry.

(btw I don't see why you being a female would have anything to do w/ not being mechanically inclined.... just start doing what you can to educate yourself & you can change that in no time at all. My girlfriend has learned a ton just from watching me wrench on my bikes & showing her what's what.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I filled to the brim and rode home a short distance. I haven't noticed anymore leaking. Btw, I'm not really interested in doing any mechanical stuff myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i notice that too, i think it is just the overflow. if i fill up the bike and then only ride the mile back to work, and then when i come out in the afternoon i can smell gas. Nothing that i would worry about. Maybe try riding it more before parking it...LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts