Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with the grade of fuel thats recommended?

The specs show to use 87 Octane. I have had my bike for over a year now and the 87 octane, seems to make the bike idle real low, sometimes cut out. Most of the time while stopped. There have been a few times it will cut in and out while riding. I have tried 89 and fewer issues but sometimes I get the same problem. Tried 93 and works with no problem. I will mention that the fuel here is reformulated so that may make a difference. Anyone else had this problem? Also my idle when stoped with no problems is around 1320 if I use 87 oct it can sometimes go below that around the 600-800 range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
I have an 87 FZR1000 and a 2000 R1. Both call for 87 octane and run perfectly on 87. I also have 2 o4 R1s and they call for 91. They will ping if run on 97 and the throttle is aggressively used. You should use the lowest octane fuel that the bike run on without pinging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike won't ping it will idle really low, there are no problems with it pinging at all. I kinda wish there was but it seems some ninjas have to use 92 grade. Im not sure what the deal is with my losing rpms. Someone said it is either the fuel, sparkplugs or air filter. Problem is I dont know where the air filter is on the FZ6 or how to change it or clean it. So the gas grade of 92 seems to do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
I don't think it is likely that the octane difference between 87 and 92 octane fuel that is otherwise of similar grade is affecting the idle speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be using the wrong grade number to describe the fuel im using, Low grade (87) I have the problems with low idle and cutting out and midgrade I have some issues with the same as the 87, premium seems to fix the problem. If its not the fuel do you know what it could be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Is the idle fluctation problem a consistent finding across different gasoline brands, different gas stations, and is repeatable? Or is it possible that the perceived association was coincidental to the octane used?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
I always burn 87 octane and it works fine. By reformulated do you mean oxygenated fuel? I have this stuff is bad on performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the station tonight and filled up it is 92 (premium). I really didn't have any problems with the fuel. As far as different gas stations, it has no effect on which station it is. 89 (mid-grade) runs ok with minor idle issues (87) ran very poor. Reformulated some clean air thing they have in the midwest. Most of the gas is reformulated, especially in the St. Louis Area. They do it supposivley for the Air. There has been much dispute about reformulated product. There is a 10% Elthonol Alcohol Additive in the fuel as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Low idle

The symptoms you describe of low idle are normally associated with the Throttle Position Sensor going bad. I've never really been convinced of this myself, but lots of other users claim that they've had their TPSs replaced under warranty and the problem goes away. My bike shows this fault occasionally, together with the low end throttle control action becoming very abrupt (ie open throttle and nothing - open a fraction more and it almost tries to wheelie (slight exageration, but it gives you the idea)). The short term fix is to switch the ignition off and back on once or twice and it's back to normal.

I keep hoping that before I sell the bike we'll get to the bottom of this intermittent low idle problem and someone will explain what is really happening. If it is the TPS, then what exactly fails in the TPS.

I don't know if there's a knock sensor on the FZ6 - if there is, maybe your 87 octane gas is pinging ("pinking" in English!) and making the engine management system retard the spark timing enough to mess up the idle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Glyn9 said:
The symptoms you describe of low idle are normally associated with the Throttle Position Sensor going bad. I've never really been convinced of this myself, but lots of other users claim that they've had their TPSs replaced under warranty and the problem goes away. My bike shows this fault occasionally, together with the low end throttle control action becoming very abrupt (ie open throttle and nothing - open a fraction more and it almost tries to wheelie (slight exageration, but it gives you the idea)). The short term fix is to switch the ignition off and back on once or twice and it's back to normal.

I keep hoping that before I sell the bike we'll get to the bottom of this intermittent low idle problem and someone will explain what is really happening. If it is the TPS, then what exactly fails in the TPS.
THe TPS affects the idle by being erratic, not just low. And turing the ignition off and back on will clear it, temporarily. The TPS as I understand is notihing more than a variable resistor that changes resistance as the throttle is opned and closed from a minimum to a maximum value. If it develops a "dead" spot or a "turn to turn" short, it could be sending the ECU the wrong information, causing the air/fuel mixture to be incorrectly. On this, my FZ6 gas mileage suffered and the exhaust odor had a "rich" fuel smell to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
With 12:1 compression ratio I would use the best gas available. Thats what all race cars/bikes etc. with high(or forced) compression do. It doesn't give your more horsepower. It just gives you the most you should have.
Use good oil and use good gas... For the long term.
I can fill up on $10 bucks with premium-not bad(but still absurd).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
My understanding (from someone in the forum) is that most gas within a given region is all processed at the same refinery, and the difference is the brand specific additives. The ethanol would be a legal thing that all brands have to submit to. Unfortunately, analyses have shown that ethanol from corn takes more petrol to grow and process than it replaces at the pump, so there's no net savings in efficiency or (likely) polution.

I go to the stations where I know they're used to bikes and will not have those irritating sleeves on the pump. I stay away from the cheapest places because I'm concerned about the maintenance of their tanks, not the formula of the gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
YamahaFZ6 said:
Has anyone else had a problem with the grade of fuel thats recommended?

The specs show to use 87 Octane. I have had my bike for over a year now and the 87 octane, seems to make the bike idle real low, sometimes cut out. Most of the time while stopped. There have been a few times it will cut in and out while riding. I have tried 89 and fewer issues but sometimes I get the same problem. Tried 93 and works with no problem. I will mention that the fuel here is reformulated so that may make a difference. Anyone else had this problem? Also my idle when stoped with no problems is around 1320 if I use 87 oct it can sometimes go below that around the 600-800 range.
Try to do this.

Adjust the idle speed when the bike is warmed up at normal operating temperature between 1250-1350 at whatever octane you are using, then stick to that octane. If the rpm still dips well below the spec of 1250 rpm, it might be the TPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Sounds to me, you got the TPS problem.... Finally got mine replaced.
Post your complaint on the NHTSA website...
Badger your stealership to replace it or pray for a recall.

Keep us posted.
and good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
rennsport said:
THe TPS affects the idle by being erratic, not just low. And turing the ignition off and back on will clear it, temporarily. The TPS as I understand is notihing more than a variable resistor that changes resistance as the throttle is opned and closed from a minimum to a maximum value. If it develops a "dead" spot or a "turn to turn" short, it could be sending the ECU the wrong information, causing the air/fuel mixture to be incorrectly. On this, my FZ6 gas mileage suffered and the exhaust odor had a "rich" fuel smell to it.

This is my problem. I get about 120 to a tank and can smell that my bike is running very rich. My idle has dropped a tad to 900-(low)1000's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
+1 on the TPS- the problem plays with all ranges of the engines operation when it happens (usually sporadically)- low/rough idle is one of the key symptoms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Aburke27 said:
This is my problem. I get about 120 to a tank and can smell that my bike is running very rich. My idle has dropped a tad to 900-(low)1000's.

Yes you need a new TPS. Get to the dealer and get it replaced. Are you still under warranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is not under it's warrenty anymore, do you know how much a new TPS would run, with estimated labor?

Also I did file a complaint with the National Highway Saftey. They did get my messege too, because I recived a post card in the mail.

Maybe they will recall the suckers. :upyours
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Whats the average range on a reg tank of gas for the FZ? Same question for the reserve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Fuel usage is dependent on your riding environment and style.
I get a consistent 199-100 miles to the blink. I ran 'til complete empty once to see how far she'll go and got a total of 238 miles.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top