Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bit on some new brake lines - some Galfer Street SS lines. I was gonna go for some orange spieglers to add some color, but decided on these Galfers because of the price.

If I remember correctly, the Spieglers and Galfers were about the same price at about $100 for the front and $50-$60 for the rear, but I came across a deal that I really could not pass up, which is somewhat the reason why I am posting, so others considering new lines so they can take advantage.

Idk how the moderators feel about posting specific websites where you buy your gear at but I found a site (based in Texas, NOT overseas) that until March 1 is offering a free rear line when you buy the front, saving of $54, plus a code you put in during checkout for an additional $20 off, bringing the cost down to about $80, and free shipping.

PM me if you want the site, or mods just lemme know if its cool to pass on the info on the thread and I will. When I get them I'll post a review and a full write up of the install with pics. Till then, ride safe ppl.

·
5,547 Posts
Post it up, it's okay

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just making sure, I read the forum rules and i didnt see any specifics when it comes to that sort of thing...

Any way it's cyclegear.com who is having the sale on the brakes, as well as $20 off any $100 purchase when you put in code CGHLDZ20 in at checkout. I apologize for anyone who is saying "geeze, we all know about that sale and buy from there all the time, where has this kid been?", but just thought I'd pass it along seeing that it is mod season :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just making sure, I read the forum rules and i didnt see any specifics when it comes to that sort of thing...

Any way it's cyclegear.com who is having the sale on the brakes, as well as $20 off any $100 purchase when you put in code CGHLDZ20 in at checkout. I apologize for anyone who is saying "geeze, we all know about that sale and buy from there all the time, where has this kid been?", but just thought I'd pass it along seeing that it is mod season :)

just ordered mine, thanks texan!:banana

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tino

Ordered mine on Monday, haven't shipped out yet... Emailed cyclegear and apparently Galfer is behind with the orders unfortunately. I guess the wait is worth the $75 dollar savings

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
46 Posts
Texan,

well im still "not home" but they said they would leave buy the 1st then 2 to 4 days. we will see i will let you know. the only way i know they will be there is by the tracking info...

Tino

·
Registered
221 Posts
Texan,

well im still "not home" but they said they would leave buy the 1st then 2 to 4 days. we will see i will let you know. the only way i know they will be there is by the tracking info...

Tino
Before you install them i would put some clear coat on the metal fittings, My galfer set has some surface rust on it, but i do live near the ocean.

·
5,366 Posts
you're going to find out very soon why they were cheaper. Id never buy galfer anything again, their lines corrode on the fittings and their pads are no better then oem.

·
5,547 Posts
you're going to find out very soon why they were cheaper. Id never buy galfer anything again, their lines corrode on the fittings and their pads are no better then oem.
I run Goodridge S/S lines. They have been on the bike since January of 2006. No problems with corrosion at all.

I run Galfer rotors front and rear along with Galfer HH sintered pads on the front and the black compound on the rear. Haven't had any issues with either.

·
5,366 Posts
i didn't have any issues with the galfer pads, i just didn't find their HH pads to be any better then oem pads. I run spiegler lines now and they're great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read many mixed reviews on these lines, 1/2 of the time the banjo's rust and 1/2 the time they don't. With a lifetime warranty I'm not too concerned, also because surface rust on SS can easily be removed with WD-40... I went with Galfer pads too because they were the same price (well, 1.88 more than OEM)

Lines are visually worned and slightly cracked from wear in a few places, so Galfer's were the best choice for me right now considering their price and me being a poor graduate student who has put off most basic maintence on my motorcycle for a few years...

I don't really expect or need the super high performance that some people demand. A noticable increase in braking power from what is already a completely stock and poorly maintained (again my fault) is all I really want and I have no doubt that's what I'll get.

·
5,366 Posts
i noticed almost no difference on my ZZR from stock, to stainless lines and galfer pads, because well the stock calipers just suck. If the lines needed replacing then for sure its a logical upgrade.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As in rattle can clear coat?
ya, give them 2-3 coats. have a water hose handy when your purging air from the lines, Brake fluid will eat through that clear coat or any paint for that matter. Water is effective at washing it off.

some people wont purge air from the lines at the banjo bolt after using a vacuum bleeder. I would do it for good measure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

1 Week update on the lines since install:

Vast improvement over stock lines, install went without a hitch and very glad I did it myself. Took about 2 hours from start to finish. The brake fluid looked like dark coffee, but that's because I hadn't changed it in forever:bangdesk. Now that I know how easy it is to bleed brakes it won't ever go that long again.

I'm learning more and more about how to work on it every day. Replaced the pads as well, worn evenly across all pads (good sign) with a decent amount of pad left, but after so many heat cycles they were noticably losing their stopping power. Lever feel on front and back is much tighter

Been wet several times, still waiting on the rust from the banjos.

·
5,366 Posts
all hydraulic (brake/fork) fluids are hydroscopic and absorb moisture. In a perfect world you should change them once a year. A lot of racers do brake fluid every weekend and fork fluid every 2-3, just for perspective.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 Week update on the lines since install:

Vast improvement over stock lines, install went without a hitch and very glad I did it myself. Took about 2 hours from start to finish. The brake fluid looked like dark coffee, but that's because I hadn't changed it in forever:bangdesk. Now that I know how easy it is to bleed brakes it won't ever go that long again.

I'm learning more and more about how to work on it every day. Replaced the pads as well, worn evenly across all pads (good sign) with a decent amount of pad left, but after so many heat cycles they were noticably losing their stopping power. Lever feel on front and back is much tighter

Been wet several times, still waiting on the rust from the banjos.

Never done this on a bike before, how hard is it to install the brake lines? is there a spot on the forum, i didnt see one, and ive just been riding since i returned!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts