Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with all phone software updates, they come right when that manufacturer has a new version of the phone hitting the market, and the battery winds up dying faster after the update. Coincidence? With the latest update to my S3, my phone wont charge at all. I've always kept a very close eye on my charge and I normally went with 1% of the batteries charge for 1 or more minute of screen time but now - forget it. I went from keeping it no lower to 80% to struggling to get it to 20% :whiteflag

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Get cianogen mod on it, my friend hated his S3 until he got that firmware, now he'd fuck the phone if the headphone jack was big enough.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
It's no coincidence. Theyre doing that crap to everyone. The egg head at the phone store told me to upgrade my phone and it will eliminate the storage limit for the sd card with their music service. So I did and now everything I had backed up cannot be restored and my phone's gui sucks a fucking dick. I hate it all and it removed a few key things I really loved about my phone. Oh and the sd card limit is still an issue.
Fucking kids at stores don't know their asses from a hole in the ground and I made it clear how I felt when I went there to tell the management he fucked up my phone. I wanted a new one but you guessed it, I was told sorry. If I knew I wouldn't go to jail that place would have a truck sitting inside it.

Do not updated you phones to android 4.2.2. It's by far the ugliest pos to come out. The icons suck, the names of ringtones and sounds have idiotic names of random things that have nothing to do with a sound on and on. I fucking hate it so much I seriously considered trashing this phone for a iPhone.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
too late for me. i warned the old lady, who has the same phone. my whole view of the phone has really changed lately, and i have been against the whole iphone cult since day one.

i did a factory reboot and it now recharges...but still very slowly. i'm going to look further into that OS in hte first reply from Tod. I need to learn about it more adn then I'll probably do it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I hate the new maps. It has caused me lost time in my day.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Biggest problem with most Android phones, is that each manufacturer also incorporates their own front end and proprietary software. Only way to beat that is go with the Nexus line or root and install something else.

I just picked up a Nexus 5, and I fucking love it. The battery life is ridiculous, the vanilla Android is smooth and quick, and although there's no sd card slot, I'm surviving just fine without it. I've loaded most of my 9k+ mp3 collection into Google Music and I can access it just about anywhere I have service. 99% of the time I'm on LTE w/ T-Mobile, even at my desk where with previous phones I've always had really shitty service. Camera is pretty on par with most cellphone cameras and works good enough for social media. If you can manage to get the right exposure I'm sure you could get printable pictures as well. I've got my 7D if I want real pictures.

This is my second Nexus (I had the original N1 too) phone and I also have the Nexus 7 tablet. I'll probably never stray from the Nexus line again.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Going with an iPhone is not a safe bet, Apple does just the same thing, when the new one comes out a new cripling update is pushed into the older ones.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny part is, I liked the update.

I think my phone is a combination of things. Since the mid 1990s, I've always known that an update meant a slower phone or worse battery performance. Nowadays though, its unacceptable.

I called att about a phone upgrade and I was offered two new s3's for another two year contract. Then they blundered that order...upgraded the one phone that was fine and didnt the broken one. I just moved and my data signal sucks. Now's the time to break the contract since they can't provide me service.

What a mess...and all this after $100 for new glass.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Funny part is, I liked the update.

I think my phone is a combination of things. Since the mid 1990s, I've always known that an update meant a slower phone or worse battery performance. Nowadays though, its unacceptable.

I called att about a phone upgrade and I was offered two new s3's for another two year contract. Then they blundered that order...upgraded the one phone that was fine and didnt the broken one. I just moved and my data signal sucks. Now's the time to break the contract since they can't provide me service.

What a mess...and all this after $100 for new glass.
Just root it and throw something else on there. I can almost guarantee that it's the proprietary Samsung software that's killing your battery. Get something that's closer to a stock build and it should substantially improve.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Unless you absolutely must know what your friends are up to constantly on Facebook, disable background data.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I've got the latest updates (galaxy S3, purchased just before Xmas 2012, now running Android 4.3, update "SCH-I535_MF1_TO_ML1" since Jan 3rd) on Verizon and I don't have any issues with battery life etc. Yes, it's slightly less than it was when new, but batteries don't last forever.

What I do have problems with I'm pretty sure are my own fault. I cracked the screen last summer and first did a swap of just the glass. That gave me enough issues (glare, digitizer errors) that I buckled and bought a new front end for it (LCD, digitizer, glass) back around Thanksgiving. So either that...or the phone got jostled around a bit too much when plugged in because what I get is the phone occasionally starts thinking it's being inserted/removed from a "dock" repeatedly (and it's never seen an actual dock in its life). It'll make the dock/undock tone, "car mode" icon comes up and goes away, etc. When it happens it usually keeps doing it until I pull the battery. I have now tried cleaning out the USB port with a toothbrush & rubbing alcohol..will see if the problem returns...

If this is a planned obsolescence from Samsung, it's a pretty dumb move. I'm _very_ unlikely to buy another samsung phone, especially if this one pisses me off to go for its replacement before it's due.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to finish my thought in repk y 10...my phone has a hsrdws 're issue also in that I get that docking tone when I charge. I took it apart and saw no soldering necessary so I put a piece of paper by the terminal. This I figured could apply pressure and keep it from moving. It helped enough so I can charge it now but I still have to check it every hour to make sure its charging. At times I have to reapply the pressure from the cable for it to continue. It takes forever to charge and dies fast. I think im going to sprint but going with the s4.

I think all makes are generally the same.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Fwiw....

My phone is back to charging properly - had to scrub out the charge port with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol (pull battery first).

Prior to that I was down to only 1 cord that would charge the phone and too slowly at that.... now any good USB cord works again.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Get cianogen mod on it, my friend hated his S3 until he got that firmware, now he'd fuck the phone if the headphone jack was big enough.
CyanogenMod may fix that particular problem, but it is nearly guaranteed to cause other problems. I have CyanogenMod on my S3, and each time a new update comes out, I get to play a game of guessing which bugs it will fix, and which new ones it will create. Also, on one update, battery life went to hell. I'm talking 3-4 hours and the phone was dead. This is with the screen off in my pocket. Once I updated again, this problem went away. And I only use the monthly stable updates too. I don't mess with the experimental nightly ones.

Currently on the latest update using Google on the Chrome internet app will cause the phone to reboot, and the swipe keyboard feature doesn't work (though I worked around that by downloading the Swype app). It is so random what bugs will pop up with each new update.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally installed CyanogenMod on my old S3 and I'm happy as a clam, though I've only used it for a few minutes. It uses a fraction of the memory. It seems a lot simpler and basic, which is good for a software. If I get familiar enough with this, I might install it on the s4...as long as Sprint doesn't through a nutty because of it. Thanks again for everyones feedback.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Well, you can actually disable updates, you know?

If the current firmware does what you need, then why would you update it?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you misunderstood. I have two phones but only one is active. The other is just a computer when I'm on wifi or an mp3 player so the Battery lasts longer on my primary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts