Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm not on two wheels (which is all the time lately since it was 3 degrees here yesterday morning) I drive a 2005 Pontiac GTO. Not the sexiest car in the world but the most fun I have ever had with a car and I have owned a M5, a C32 AMG, an S4, and also own an FX45. It was my 2ND American car (My 1st car when I was 16 was a 1994 Z28)and it sold me for the future on buying American muscle again. It has incredible performance for the dollar.

In the same vein, I am looking to replace the GTO with my next vehicle and I am looking at three very compelling choices. I have no interest in the Charger and absolutely no interest in any Mustang of any kind. I would like any and all opinions about these three vehicles. I am looking for things I have not yet considered. I will present the choices in the order I am leaning right now, but my preferences seem to change daily as I read sand see new things so here we go.

Pontiac 68 GXP:

Looks great, 4 doors, 415 bhp and approx 4.5 0-60 times. Will retail around 40 Gs. Optional 6 speed manual although the performance times for the auto are nearly identical. Nice looking interior with Blaupunkt sound system which I love in the GTO. LS3 engine with lots of tuning possibilities.

Dodge Challenger SRT8:

Best looking of the bunch IMO. Always wanted a Challenger since I was wee high. Most expensive of the group as well. 425 bhp with approx 5.0 0-60. Interior also seems to be the best of the three as well. Only two doors so space is limited. Not sure how great the aftermarket options are at this point. Certainly has the 'it' factor and just feels right in so many ways. A car you cannot help but notice.

Chevy Camaro SS

The most economical car of the bunch by a wide margin. Will also possess the LS3 engine but detuned even more than the GXP. Should run in the 4.7 0-60 range from what I have read. Also looks cool although I do prefer the looks of the other two better. Also two doors. Seems to be a very popular choice of the auto mags like MT, C&D, Auto Mag, etc.

I know, I know, the future of the American auto is up in the air so I should look elsewhere right? Can't do it. I am set on one of these three unless all three go splat and cease to exist (then I will probably buy the new Nissan 370Z).

So, OF THESE 3, which is your fav and why?

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
I'd go for the G8, and if you're paying 40k for it, you got ripped. They'll hover around $34k for the GXP here according to Pontiac dealers.

·
"Mindbottling isn't it?"
4,573 Posts
Camaro

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
40K??? -Must be nice...

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
1. camero - love the looks, destine to be a classic
2. GXP - imo best sedan potiac has made in a very long time
3. challenger - like it but not as much as the others

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
I think the challenger will be the best car in 30 years if you have plans to hang onto it for a "collectors" item.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd rock a CTS-V with the hand stitched leather,'vette engine/6 spd,huge brakes etc. I saw a silver one in the showroom a few years ago when they came out.

Truly an awesome vehicle,but I think the msrp was around $55K!

The 2009 CTS-V
Cadillac | 2009 CTS-V - High Performance Luxury Sedan
Agree with that sentiment. The CTS-V is one badass ride. Even a used one will be pricey I think though and it has less warranty and will be more costly to fix. I am trying to keep it under 40K for sure. I may even wait to pick up a use one of these.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd choose the Camaro. It's simply the fastest car of the bunch.

MT estimates that the G8 will be .2 faster 0-60 and similar QM times I think performance wise they are comparable and the G8 actually handles better, especially in bad weather. My biggest holdup on the G8 vs the Camaro is the huge difference in sticker price. That being said, the SS is simply a monster at a bargain basement price. I cannot remember such performance being that affordable except maybe the EVOs and STis of the world and I'm too old for the rice rockets.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP - First Test - Motor Trend

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
g8 without a doubt, ive sat in both the challenger and g8, and very much enjoy the feel of the g8 behind the wheel. 4 doors is nice, great performance, and i think it looks best.

·
Registered
556 Posts
For 40k, I would go find a used M5. old American cars are junk and has nothing to do with this thread
you left a few words out, I got ya tho

You're crazy if you think a used beat to hell M5 is going to be more reliable than ANY brand new car

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
I would go with the G8 myself, however some reason the wife really likes the Camaro...which I also like. These are on my list...I'm waiting to see what happens next spring at this point. I really hope the economy really tanks and cars that are $40K will be $20K because dealers will need to eat...or we become like the news story I saw on TV on (I think) Hong Kong where $300K Bentleys are just not selling and the owner said he take $38K for it...then they showed a Mercedes 2 seat sports car and he said he take $15K for it, when the reported asked why so low, he simply said "I need the money".

I know I should not wish for such bad times...but boy could the wife and I get a few really nice vehicles :) Her job should never be effected, unless everyones is dead.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Also where do you live??? Not sure here in CO, but in Michigan due to the hard times dealers are going out of business and thus you can pick up some sweet deals and no one is buying NEW vehicles. You might want to contact a few dealers in MI and see what type of deal they can get for you...might be worth flying to MI and driving home. Just a thought....

I remember when one dealer back in 2004 was selling NEW GTO's for $25K, $22K on the GM Plan...wife did not think it was practical so we ended up with a Grand Prix GTP fully loaded I think for $29K with the GM Plan..I miss the heads up display :)

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
You have to come with 30k to get the ls3 in the camaro.

At that price you're comparing to the mid level R/T challenger. The camaro has more power hands down and you have to spend another 10k to get similar power in the SRT8 challenger.

However, the challenger looks MUCH better in my opinion. There is a black one with blacked out windows and black rims near my office. It is just absolutely badass.

And truth be told unless you are drag racing 372hp vs 422hp doesn't make THAT much difference. You're faster than most cars on the road and can do fat smokey burnouts at will.

I'm into this discussion as well. My wife is in love with the challenger and we might get her one next year sometime after we get settled in our new digs.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts