Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general sportbike forum too, but with a slightly different angle. Not trying to flood the boards with my thread, just thought I'd get a better answer to this over here...I am thinking about getting a bike soon, and was thinking about the EX500 or an early 90s Katana. Still thinking about both of those, but some veteran members here also suggested the early 90s FZR600. I've been doing some research on the bike and I love it! Mostly because of it's price(I've been seeing them go for $2500). I wanted to know what are your thoughts on the FZR as a first bike? I have a bit of dirtbike experience, and have ridden my father's Harley around the block a bit. So pretty much a completely new rider. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
765 Posts
The FZR, was a great first bike for me. That might be saying I was lucky or whatever, but anyway. It has decent power, but not enough to get away from ya. Even though it's torque is up there with todays 600SS bikes. It's a small bore, long stroke motor, so thats where the torque comes from. They ride on skinny tires, and are so easy to throw into a curve. When I go tmy Gixxer, it took some getting used to, because it turned in slower than my FZR.

With FZR's, be on the lookout for bad transmissions, bad rectifiers, and they are bad for melting the plug that goes to the ignition switch. It's right under the tank cover and easy to fix, but when it goes bad you won't be able to cut the bike off, so thats how you know its bad.

If you have a level head, and enough self control, you should be fine. But, if for a second, you think you might go wild, then go with the 500.

Man, I have got to get mine painted and on the market. So many people looking for them now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi. The FZR was also my first bike and I loved it. There's a post in the archives comparing the FZR to the SV S (General Sportbike section) you might want to check out.

The FZR is very nimble and has decent power. They are cheap and have plenty of spare parts available. They are reliable, all I did to mine was put gas & oil in it. Great choice imo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chaOs said:
Hi. The FZR was also my first bike and I loved it. There's a post in the archives comparing the FZR to the SV S (General Sportbike section) you might want to check out.

The FZR is very nimble and has decent power. They are cheap and have plenty of spare parts available. They are reliable, all I did to mine was put gas & oil in it. Great choice imo.
I would LOVE to find that thread! I thought that I saw a post saying you could still use the search function in the archives...But everytime I'm in the archives and try to search it says "sorry, no results", no matter what I'm searching for. Am i don't something wrong? Or can you just not search in the archives?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gixxer_Six2003 said:
The SV and the FZR is like comparing apples to carrots...lol SV naked, FZR not, SV twin, FZR I-4. Really depends on what kind of rider you are. Do you like to lay back and cruise, or do you liek to hear your bike screaming everywhere you go.
Sportbike all the way. I'm definately looking to move up to a modern SS down the line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gixxer_Six2003 said:
The FZR's have a GREAT sound, especially if you can catch a Yoshi slip-on on ebay. My FZR has a Full Yoshi system, and I think it sounds a lot better than my Gixxer.
Really? Wow...Is yours for sale?:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Gixxer_Six2003 said:
The SV and the FZR is like comparing apples to carrots...lol SV naked, FZR not, SV twin, FZR I-4. Really depends on what kind of rider you are. Do you like to lay back and cruise, or do you liek to hear your bike screaming everywhere you go.
Actually, he was talking about the SVS. :)

But you're right, it's not really the same bike. The SVS is a half-faired V-twin, while the FZR is a full-faired inline four. Inline fours make more HP than comparably sized V-twin, but the V-twin will put out more torque.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts