Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and am looking to pick up a used sportbike. I had mentioned the F2, and EX500 as possible candidates in an earlier post. Some of the people replying suggested I also check out the FZR600. Looking on cycletrader.com, I see numerous early-90s FZR600s going for less than $3k, and I"m really liking that. My question is what are the specs of this bike(power/weight), and is it a good bike to start on?

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
an early 90s fzr would be a decent bike to start out on if you take the right steps towards safe riding.

here's some stuff i found on a '94 FZR:

1989-95, 599cc w/c DOHC four
90hp 140mph 45mpg 395lb
Excellent handling, more torque than rivals, weak, short-lived suspension and brakes. Uncomfortable, naff fairing. Discs, chassis bearings, electrics and plastic can decay rapidly. If the plastic vibrates it’s probably replica stuff fitted after a crash. Engine’s tough for 60k plus, clutch and gearbox go bad first. Noisy top end, smoky exhausts or bodged electrics will turn out expensive. Post ’94 bikes redesigned (100hp, 155mph, 45mpg, 420lb), handle superbly, more narrowly focused - motors in trouble from top end around 50k, clutch can be weak. Lots of bargains around but great variety of conditions for the same money! Some street fighters, look neat, but check for crash damage

Power in 1994 was [email protected],500, with a wet weight of 467lb's.

theres a spec sheet out there somewhere bit i couldnt find one quickly

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
FZRs are great bikes. Not cutting edge, but will put a grin on your face. Not bad bike for a beginner to intermediate rider. You can score these for great prices.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, I love mine. It's my 1st bike and I am in love with it. A lot of people compliment me on my bike too. I like it in the turns and everything. It has enough power for me right now. The guy that had it before me added a jet kit, pipe, and dropped one tooth on the front sprocket, so it get up a little better than stock.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My FZR was my second bike. I started on a GS500 and moved up to the FZR. If I could do it again, I would do the same thing...mainly because I was nervous starting out and the forgiveness of the GS500 was great in helping my confidence. The FZR is a great bike though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i have one. great bike for a beginner. enough power, but not too much to get you in trouble. clutches and transmissions can go quick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This all sounds great! I'm not a HUGE guy, but I am a bit on the big side(5'10", 205lbs). Not that I'm worried about the EX500 not being able to handle me, but just that I would love to have a bike that is fairly easy to learn on while still allowing me room to grow into it, as I don't see myself getting a new bike for some time. I'm liking what I'm hearing about the FZR. Except for the tendancy for the clutches to go bad, they seem like a really good bike. I'm really thinking hard about picking one up soon, as I've seen many of them going for great prices! Anyone else have any more comments on their suitability as beginner bikes?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Self said:
This all sounds great! I'm not a HUGE guy, but I am a bit on the big side(5'10", 205lbs). Not that I'm worried about the EX500 not being able to handle me, but just that I would love to have a bike that is fairly easy to learn on while still allowing me room to grow into it, as I don't see myself getting a new bike for some time. I'm liking what I'm hearing about the FZR. Except for the tendancy for the clutches to go bad, they seem like a really good bike. I'm really thinking hard about picking one up soon, as I've seen many of them going for great prices! Anyone else have any more comments on their suitability as beginner bikes?
dont worry much about the clutch. when it goes, get a new one for $60. Just curious, how much longer until you are looking to buy. I might have one if you are interested

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JESTER600 said:
dont worry much about the clutch. when it goes, get a new one for $60. Just curious, how much longer until you are looking to buy. I might have one if you are interested
Depends on what kidn of price we're talking about. Probably a month or so, but not sure...Give me a call if you want to talk more, I PMed my # to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts