Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. My name is Ty. I am a new rider and am a proud owner of a beat up 1990 FZR600. The bike came with a hindle slip on piple and a K&N filter. Since i got it have put a stage3 Jets cause it was running too lean. The carbs were cleaned and synced. Then the bike was so Rich it would flood out at a light. So new floats were added. Seems to run better for the most part. My big issues is that is feels like it has a dead spot between 45000 and 6000 rpm. above or below seem to be fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey. My name is Ty. I am a new rider and am a proud owner of a beat up 1990 FZR600. The bike came with a hindle slip on piple and a K&N filter. Since i got it have put a stage3 Jets cause it was running too lean. The carbs were cleaned and synced. Then the bike was so Rich it would flood out at a light. So new floats were added. Seems to run better for the most part. My big issues is that is feels like it has a dead spot between 45000 and 6000 rpm. above or below seem to be fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome Ty.

Are you running the stock airbox? I've heard of people having flat spot problems if they install pod filters. Another thing to check is to make sure that the airbox is securely installed.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've had quite a bit of work done... it may just require some tweaking of the jets.

Unfortunately, I don't really mess around with this stuff on my bike. I leave tuning to the professionals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a factory air box with a K&N filter in it. The bike is running super rich still too . I would leave the tuning to the professionals if i could find one that would fix it instead of throwing parts at it .

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes it is a factory air box with a K&N filter in it. The bike is running super rich still too . I would leave the tuning to the professionals if i could find one that would fix it instead of throwing parts at it .
My guess is that the Stage 3 jet kit is to blame. Any particular reason you went with Stage 3 instead of Stage 1? I think the stock airbox isn't allowing enough airflow to compensate for the Stage 3 jet kit.

I have a similar setup as you do (stock airbox, K&N filter and slip-on), and I have a Stage 1 jet kit.

Did you have a shop install the Stage 3 jet kit? If so, I would go back to them and see if they'll replace the Stage 3 with a Stage 1 jet kit. Dynojet clearly states that Stage 3 jet kits should only be used with pod filters.

If you did it yourself or the shop won't do it without charging you even more money, I'd consider just riding it and putting up with the flat stop.

Otherwise, a new Stage 1 jet kit from Dynojet runs about $126. You might be able to find one cheaper on eBay.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop i took it too syn the carbs and said the bike was running lean. and recommended stage 3. and was running rich ever since. took it back they put new needles in it . didnt make a diffrence so they put new floats in it. The bike is still running rich and im tired of paying people to throw parts at it. Thanks for you input.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Stage 3 is needed when you have modified the airbox (or got rid of it), full exhaust system and other odds and ends. All bikes run a bit lean, due to emission purposes, it had nothing to do with the filter and slip on. Take out that stage three and return it to stock or get a stage 1 kit in there...

And then have it tuned by someone that really knows what they are doing, not just someone that wants your money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts