Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FZR600 Noob
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I spent the afternoon tearing the generator out of my '94 FZR600. I tested the ohm resistance on it and got nothing back. Spec is .31-.37. I can't believe the generator on these bikes fail at 18,000 miles!

I don't know if the rectifier/regulator is bad, but my guess it is still good. I was getting a slight charge on the bike with high revs, but my volts read 12.1-12.5V max at 3,000 rpm. It's lowest point was 11.6V at idle. Not good at all. Whice means it's not charging at idle either. Stock reading should be 14.3-15.3V at 3,000 RPM.

So, my conclusion is the whole AC Generator assembly is bad from the zero Ohm readings on the 3 pin connector.

FYI, the AC Generator consists of a Magneto, Stator coil assembly, and a pickup coil. Hope this helps anyone and download the PDF manuals. :cheers

·
FZR600 Noob
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bah! Replaced the stator, still not charging... Now I'm going to order a rectifier/regulator.

·
Registered
452 Posts
ReZ said:
Just a brand new one from the dealer.
Ok. Hopefully this one will last the rest of the time you own the bike. Also, not sure if you have any upgraded headlight bulbs, but they tend to burn out the VR faster than the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive been having charging issues as well. I had some damage to my stator, so i replaced it with a new on. then the bike was only charging around low 12 volts at idle and low 13 s at 3000rpm. changed the VR and nothing changed. traced all the charging systme wires and couldnt find any thing wrong. ended up pulling the headlight fuse and now i have over 14 volts. any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts