Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for about 3 years and just bought my first bike all to myself. I am very excited and got a great buy in a 94 fzr 600 with only 13000 miles. I enjoy working on it, but realized very quickly that I do not know what the hell I am doing. I started out by getting new tires (shop put those on) and changing the oil, which I did myself. I looked up as much info as I could find before doing anything, but I am suddenly very concerned that I messed up, BAD. I changed the filter on it and drained the oil which I replaced with 2.5 qts of Pennzoil 10W-30 (weight the bike panel said it needed) but I am not sure if Pennzoil is the correct type to use or to be honest, if I even added it in the right place. Can any more experienced riders voice any opinions as to whether or not I am ok or screwed?

·
drink scotch whisky...
41 Posts
Oil

First off, if you are not sure you put the oil in the right place then you really need to do some homework and watch videos about basic motorcycle maintenance. The only fill hole on the right side of the bike is where you put the oil in. Just filling it with 2.5Qts is not good enough. You have to run the bike for a min or two, place something under the side stand to let it sit fairly upright for a couple min, then have a friend hold the bike upright while you check the oil window. The level needs to be between the two peened dots, closer to the max level is best.

Also, the 10W-30 oil spec is what the manual gives for cold temps. As long as you are always above freezing temps, I would strongly suggest something heavier. I run 10W-40 synthetic (Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, etc). People have different opinions on whether you can use car oil in wet clutch bikes due to friction modifiers and whatnot, but I have never had any issues.

Hope that helps.

-Pucke

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you're going to work on the bike yourself, do yourself a favor and get a service manual... either a Yamaha one (expensive) or a Haynes one (much less expensive).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts