Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been discused quite a bit on her but I have a few questions. For one, why do most of you seem to hate on the fz6r? I understand the nameing was stupid on yamahas part but the bike mags seem to like it. Why do most seem to go 650 or sv over it? Is there a flaw I'm missing? And on the note of the sv, why is it so highly praised? I understand it is highly upgrade able but out of the box the reviews say the suspension is horrible. Btw whichever I get will likely be 09+ with full fairings, I'm like warm on nakeds. At first the bike will obviously be used for mild commuting but once I become confident I would love to take whatever I get to the track. As far as upgrade differences aside from perhaps a bar swap I don't plan on ever really modding witch ever I get. And the main goal once I feel comfortable will be an r6s I love the way that bike feels, just scares the hell out of me right now. So in the end I'm leaning toward the fz6r, if I can find one, more so for the i4 sound then anything I guess. So please persuade me where to go based purely on fact please.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know this topic has been discused quite a bit on her but I have a few questions. For one, why do most of you seem to hate on the fz6r? I understand the nameing was stupid on yamahas part but the bike mags seem to like it. Why do most seem to go 650 or sv over it? Is there a flaw I'm missing? And on the note of the sv, why is it so highly praised? I understand it is highly upgrade able but out of the box the reviews say the suspension is horrible. Btw whichever I get will likely be 09+ with full fairings, I'm like warm on nakeds. At first the bike will obviously be used for mild commuting but once I become confident I would love to take whatever I get to the track. As far as upgrade differences aside from perhaps a bar swap I don't plan on ever really modding witch ever I get. And the main goal once I feel comfortable will be an r6s I love the way that bike feels, just scares the hell out of me right now. So in the end I'm leaning toward the fz6r, if I can find one, more so for the i4 sound then anything I guess. So please persuade me where to go based purely on fact please.
I went with an FZ6R. I like both bikes, they both work well for what they are. The 650r has better low end power, the FZ6R sounds better and performs well up top. They both do what they do well but the 650r's I've ridden all feel odd to me. The FZ6R's I've ridden feel good, more solid, handle better. I had mine for a year and a half before I sold it 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're clearly more interested in talking opinion than your claimed interest in facts. Go adopt a kitten.
No not really. I want to know why people chose one over the other. Every thread I've found on this turns into opinion so I want actual reasons on why to buy one over the other.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The biggest difference is the engine - the FZ, even after a good tuning, is still an I4. Moderately low performance in at the bottom of the tach, and even with the tuning, a bit of a ramp up once you hit the power band.

The 650r as a parallel twin just pulls, evenly, throughout the entire rpm range.

The SV as a v-twin has a similar power delivery to the 650r, linear.

The reason you see so much discussion of the SV650's suspension is because the bike has been out since 99, and there is so much you can do with it. Honestly, the suspension on the 650r isn't any better.

Really it comes down to preference. Each bike will work for your purposes, although I do give you the caveat that if you are looking at faired bikes, and you indicated you were, the SV650S model has *much* more aggressive ergonomics than either the 650R or the FZ, due to its clip-ons as opposed to handle bars.

On an aside, if this is your first bike, please be aware that while we do give these bikes the grudging node of acceptance in that they are a better choice than a RR/SS for a first bike, I can assure you that most would learn more quickly on a bike with a little less grunt.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
No not really. I want to know why people chose one over the other. Every thread I've found on this turns into opinion so I want actual reasons on why to buy one over the other.
My apologies then. I've owned both and I've shared my thoughts on very recent similar threads.

I think it comes down to, do you like the sound of a parallel twin or a high revving i4. Both sound like crap for what they arw though, except when u put m4s on the fz6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My apologies then. I've owned both and I've shared my thoughts on very recent similar threads.

I think it comes down to, do you like the sound of a parallel twin or a high revving i4. Both sound like crap for what they arw though, except when u put m4s on the fz6.
So aside from sound you feel there's no real difference? I've heard a few people say the fz6r feels cheaper, while most feel there rather even. If they truely are that similar I guess it will come down to what I can find. And if so then, thank you, honestly.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Performance and otger technically speaking, there's nothing to distinguish them but preferwnce and other subjective variables. If you like the feel of "torque" thw parallel twin is for you. If you enjoy making it rev, the i4. Both are smooth and great bikes. Go for what u can get cheaper if you're ok with both.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Btw the fz6 section here had a big following until a fz6 forum popped up on amother site. Kawis always had good forums also. Bottom line, neither is better than the other....althougj I got much better mpg from thw kawi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again. And yeah I'm planning to get the best gear I can over the fall/winter so I'm ready to ride what ever I get. And trying to talk a few people into going to the track with me. As I said I mostly found post where people bickered about looks and what not other than actual capabilities. And while the old magazine issues I found did that very well I'm always very cautious to trust someone's opinion when the winner has a two page add right after the article.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The paralel twin on the 650r is buzzy, it does smooth out at certain RPM ranges, but it can get annoying. The FZ6R is much smoother, but it comes with a serious lack of low end power compared to the 650R.

All in all, I'd go with a SV650 or a Gladius, the 90 degree V-Twin is a perfectly balanced engine. If you can get past the styling, the Gladius is a very good bike and the engine makes more power than that of the older SV.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Is this your first bike? Because if not, you might like the YZF600R. But if it's your first bike don't get that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hugh difference in bikes, you got to decide on the type of engine you like better. I have never found I4s to be that fun, its like a blender feel to me. Once I got caught up In the 600SS bikes and bought a GSXR600 on a whim. Fun for one week and got bored with the powerband feel even if its 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds. Left it for a PTwin.

Will stick with PTwins or VTwins, that quick torque feel feels great.
Don't buy either bike new, they have really bad resale values. I'm sure you guys say all bikes do but check on CL FZ6Rs, they hold nothing for resale and the 650R just as bad.

Kawasaki 2012 Ninja® 650

Look at that 4899 for that low of miles, maybe something Is wrong with it?

BTW, I demoed the 12 650R at Kawa demo days and didn't sense any vibes at any speeds. And the 650R looks bad ass in certain colors like black and blue or white and black- although at times black and white bikes look like a cop's bike at times. But you can getKawa green or black and red. Oh hell just get the 650r cause I say so.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The paralel twin on the 650r is buzzy, it does smooth out at certain RPM ranges, but it can get annoying. The FZ6R is much smoother, but it comes with a serious lack of low end power compared to the 650R.

All in all, I'd go with a SV650 or a Gladius, the 90 degree V-Twin is a perfectly balanced engine. If you can get past the styling, the Gladius is a very good bike and the engine makes more power than that of the older SV.
The 650R motor is buzzy, I had an 08 model and that's the only thing I didn't like about it. But in 09 Kawasaki redesigned it with rubber engine and handlebar mounts to fight the buzz. I haven't ridden one of the new ones but I hear the buzzing is much improved. If you're looking at 09+ models I wouldn't worry about buzzing too much.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
My Versys has the new rubber mounted engine and it is still buzzy. I've never rode the solid mounted 650r, just my Versys and a friends 2011 ER-6N. The ride on my friends bike was very short, and the vibration didn't seem excessive, it's now that I have the Versys that I've found it can get annoying after a while. It's a weird vibration, it's not like a thumper's vibration that feels like the bike is trying to take off your cavity fillings, it's more of a high frequency vibration and it gets quite bad at certain RPM ranges and also varies depending on the load.

BUT, that doesn't mean all paralell twins are like that. It really surprised me buzzyness of the Kaw 650 as the old 500 is one of the smoothest running engines ever.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You signed up for this forum to discuss your personal likes and dislikes on a bike? If you need persuasion on what to buy, go talk to a salesman.
Just so I understand here, a new guy wants to discuss motorcycles on a motorcycle website, in the New Riders section, and you're shitting on him? That's just fucking stupid. Really, it is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts