Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I've had this FZ6N for about 8 years now, its a 2009 model with about 70k kms on the clock. Until recently its never missed a beat, but now its having trouble starting randomly.

I've uploaded some videos below showing what it does when it doesn't start. Rode to work in the morning, the bike started fine, went to go home at the end of the day and it wouldn't start. Its been doing this for over a month now, and I have to push start it to get it going 50% of the time. Initial thought it was the battery, but I replaced it with a brand new Yuasa battery and its doing exactly the same thing.

Second video is after trying to start it for a minute or so, sometimes it does fire up after 10-15 seconds of holding the starter, sometimes I hear popping / backfire sounds from the exhaust while trying to start.

Third video is after I gave up and push started the bike, turned it off and then it starts first go every time. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike was having similar issues and I was told to try changing the spark plugs. Have you changed yours since you've had the bike?
Otherwise, your engine needs three things to run (fuel, air, and spark) so if its not the spark plugs then next step would be fuel. It sounds like your fuel pump is working so try cleaning out your injectors.

·
Diver Down
812 Posts
My bike was having similar issues and I was told to try changing the spark plugs. Have you changed yours since you've had the bike?
Otherwise, your engine needs three things to run (fuel, air, and spark) so if its not the spark plugs then next step would be fuel. It sounds like your fuel pump is working so try cleaning out your injectors.
I don't have any ideas, but I think your theories here don't hold up if it can be reliably push started. Leads me to believe maybe something wrong with the starter? Looking at the 2nd video, the starter and power randomly cuts out while holding down the starter button (assuming you're not letting up your thumb). Maybe something electronic going on here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts