Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure you'd think this is blasphemy on the FZ6 board, but what influenced you to buy the FZ6 over the R6?

The reason I got the FZ6 was that the riding position was more upright and I thought it would be more comfortable. But looking at the R6 position, it's not that much of a difference and I think I would like the R6 position a little more. So any pros and cons to the R6 compared to the FZ6?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Price, comfort and stock performance are the main differences in my oppinion. I got this because it is my first ever street bike and I felt like it was a friendlier fit. I also liked the fact that it was quite a bit cheaper in price and insurance. I wasn't expecting a great deal of performance and have been totally amazed by it's capabilities...expecially with some suspension and braking modification. Had there been no FZ6 at the time, I would have an SV650.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Price and Insurance were my main concerns. I like the R6 styling better... but the insurance quote was literally twice as high, and I've grown to appreciate the FZ6 for more reasons than monetary.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Luckily I have a few friends that have R6's and they will let me borrow them when I get the itch to go a little faster. The R6 is a better handling bike because of the riding position on the twisties but I can melt the tires on the FZ6 just as fast. I do miss the lower rpms needed to reach the power band for the R6 but when I was riding Sunday I saw 6 blue R6's and just one FZ6.
The insurance is definately cheaper, but I guess this is why I don't have a corvette instead of my SUV.
Both bikes are great and if you can outride the FZ6 then you should be getting paid to ride.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pro FZ6: Price, comfort, revs at highway speeds.

The main thing I miss going from super sport to standard is the better brakes. If I still lived in an area where the roads curved, I would probably have gone with another supersport.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Price and looks. Underseat exhaust was a biggie. I wasn't aware of the insurance difference but that makes sense too. It was my first bike and I just wasn't looking for a bike said "Take me to the track. NOW!"

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Price (bike and insurance), comfort, looks, and rarity.

My friend's got a 2003 ZR-7S. It's a nice bike, but I wanted something different, though along the same lines. This fit the bill perfectly.

Aslo, this is my 2nd bike, but first "real" bike. My first was an 82 KZ550. Quick bike, but nowhere near the power of today's bikes. This was the most reasonable step.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Comfort, versatility, EU cool, price, novice friendly, but plenty of vroom to grow. The other bikes I looked at were the SV650, 599, f4i, and R6. The last two lost as not good for novices or commuting. 599 lost on price/performance, and the SV650 on ergos.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
BRANDON1978 said:
Pro FZ6: Price, comfort, revs at highway speeds.

The main thing I miss going from super sport to standard is the better brakes. If I still lived in an area where the roads curved, I would probably have gone with another supersport.
Why "miss" anything? Do the R6 fork/brakes mod and have it all. You, of all of us, would appreciate it tremedously....having come from an SS.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The RIDE!

Being a "sport" bike with a great ergonomic riding posture. I can ride all day without getting sore wrists, back, or butt (now that I have a carpeted seat).

:02mgp

·
Registered
457 Posts
So_Cal_Wil said:
Both bikes are great and if you can outride the FZ6 then you should be getting paid to ride.
Ok, I took a lot of crap for my buyer's remorse question last week. This was the info I was really looking for!

:)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
FAZR6 said:
Why "miss" anything? Do the R6 fork/brakes mod and have it all. You, of all of us, would appreciate it tremedously....having come from an SS.
Steel brake lines and new pads would go pretty far too. Depending on how cheap you find the R6 parts it might be more cost effective if the brakes are all that bothers you.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
nig said:
Steel brake lines and new pads would go pretty far too. Depending on how cheap you find the R6 parts it might be more cost effective if the brakes are all that bothers you.
I agree with you nig, but there is still the issue of severe fork dive which is a big problem. Some sort of fork mod is necessary to compliment it.

·
Registered
676 Posts

because an R6 can't do this (wife's touring bike)

...and because an FZ6, nor an R6 for that matter, can do this (wife's sportbike)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Your wife must be a very happy woman.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The FZ6 was my transition bike from cruiser to sportbike. I surely don't regret it, the FZ is a great bike. However.......if I knew then what I know now, I would have waited and got the 2005 Raven R6. With all the upgrades, I'm there pretty much as far as price goes.

It's been fun doing the mods though...R6 front, handlebars, etc... (and my new Ohlins shock has finally shipped so I should have it on the bike this w/e). And it is pretty cool having a "standard" bike that tours pretty well but can hang with the SS bikes in the twisties. Not sure what my next bike will be but I like this one so well that I don't think I'll be looking for another anytime soon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was ready to buy an R1 in July of 04 when I got my FZ6. I finally picked up the FZ6 for 2 reasons, looks (still haven't seen one on the road besides mine) and insurance; the R1 insurance cost would have paid for the bike over a period of years.

Hawk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was in the planing process of robbing a bank to buy the 2005 Red R1 when I first saw her (Blue FZ6). Got hitched and never looked back again.....btw, still robed the bank and just kept the extra mo' for mods. :lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts