Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried installing an FZ1 rear shock on an FZ6? The FZ1 shock is fully adjustable, as compared to the FZ6 which only has preload adjustment. The bikes are about the same dimensions and the FZ1 shock is only about $250.00, which seems pretty cheap compared to some after market shocks.

The physical differences look closer than do the FZ6 and R6 shocks and it looks like the FZ1 shock could be adapted more easily.

Any comments?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Never tried it but since the FZ1 is heavier, and the shock made for a heavier bike, I would think it's a bad idea. I mean I bet you can do it, but my guess is you'd be in for a new spring and a shock revalve, which can be a little pricey. Have ya looked into the R6's setup? I have no idea if it can be done but the R6 is closer to an FZ6 than an FZ1 is. Some folks on here have done the R6 front suspension swap I think. Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
The front suspension is what you want to address...once that is sorted out, then the rear is the weak link.

Upgrading the rear first would only leave you even further mismatched between the front and rear, since in its stock form, the front is the weak link.

·
So much cooler online
2,240 Posts
I'm not sure if it even will fit, but the stock FZ1 shock isn't all that great. It seems that alot of owners opt for a re-spring and re-valve. The stock shock is set up for ~140lb rider, so it is soft for most. I am over 100 lbs over that, so I couldn't even come close with setting the sag. On the plus side, it only cost 275 to send it to traxxion for the rework, and now its like a different bike.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
There does not seem to be a cheap upgrade for the rear shock.
The good news is... the front is like a good first date... Cheap and easy:banana
Racetech springs go for about $110. Get some fork oil and a pipe cutter for about $50.
Big difference.
The rear is going to cost some bucks.
Another FZ'r had tried to put in the R1 rear shock... Threw in the towel and got an Ohlin's.
:beer

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
There does not seem to be a cheap upgrade for the rear shock.
The good news is... the front is like a good first date... Cheap and easy:banana
Racetech springs go for about $110. Get some fork oil and a pipe cutter for about $50.
Big difference.
The rear is going to cost some bucks.
Another FZ'r had tried to put in the R1 rear shock... Threw in the towel and got an Ohlin's.
What is the pipe cutter for???

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
forget what you where just told, heres the real deal....

okay first of all i know for certain for a 200lbs rider we need a 14.3kg/mm spring. the stock fz1 on the pre-06 models is a 12.5kg/mm spring. so the shock is sprung right for the bike and will dampen properly with a spring up to about 15.5kg/mm (which you can buy off a honda, their stock springs are really heavy too so no need to buy a racetech just buy a used honda 929/954 shock for its spring. the whole shock wont work though as the base wont hook up with the fz swing arm). the new ones (06-08) only have rebound adjustment where the older ones have compression too. the thing is the older ones are about 7.5mm longer, or at least they have .3" more stroke. BUT the 00-05 shock has a u-type fitting at the bottom that can be easily cut and re-welded if it doesnt bolt up and you can shave off the extra length. the 06-08 should be the exact length but like i said have only rebound adjustment. for track riding having a longer shock will be a good thing, it does about the same thing as lowering the forks through the tripples. i havent actually measured the real overall length of the shock though but it looks to be the best fit, if anything you could settle for the not as good new model shock though if you cant weld.

heres why an r1 shock wont work; it comes with an 8.8kg spring, we need something like 13-14kg range. BUT you cant just buy a new spring for it. when you put on a much stiffer spring, a generic stock shock doesnt have the headroom in the valving to dampen that spring and will have to be re-built with new valves to make it work, but that'll run about $500 total to do. you will be worse off in the dampening department than you were before without a re-build.

also another alternative is to buy a penske, ohlins, elka etc for a bike that has close to the same length shock. you will then be able to simply swap springs and have it work right. because aftermarket shocks have about 4 times that valving headroom than a stock shock so you can play with drastically different spring weights.

i have researched extensively and talked with the pros about this. there are only three main components to a shock that are important for us on this.

1.length/stroke
2.spring weight
3.valving

r6 shock-doesnt work, too short and too weak
r1 shock-doesnt work, too weak
honda 929/954 shock-none bolt up, sprung perfect though, little short
kawasaki-too weak, dont bother
suzuki gsxr 1k- to weak dont bother
hayabusa-maybe, seems good but never looked further
fz1-best bet and will know for certain in a few days

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
What is the pipe cutter for???
It is to cut the spacers.(to set your preload)
You can use a hacksaw... But a pipe cutter makes a clean cut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know if I can put the front shocks from a fz1 onto a FZ6-N? Or am I going to have to buy new shocks for it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you mean the entire forks or just the internals? Both bikes have 43mm fork tubes.

FYI - "shock(s)" are what suspends the rear of the bike. Forks are what suspend the front of the bike. Forks have springs and internal valving, upper and lower tubes. If you have bent fork tubes, they can sometimes be straitened, though I don't know if that's an issue for inspection where you are.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yea I meant the forks. So they should fit fine then? Thanks
They are both the same diameter. You should be able to put the FZ1 forks on the FZ6. They will fit in the triple trees fine. I'm not sure if that would cause problems with the wheel or caliper locations, so be careful unless you are using a FZ1 front wheel too. I also don't know if they are the same length, so that could impact the handling, turn in, etc.

·
Diver Down
809 Posts
Back when this forum was pretty active, there were people doing fork upgrade using the R6 forks. I would think that's the closest fit you could find, but it's not a simple replacement. If you look in the FZ6/FZ6R Mods section for the R6 Fork Mod, you'll see what I mean. I don't recall ever seeing anyone upgrade with FZ1 forks. It's a pretty different bike, so I would think its risky trying that. If it's been done, then you should find it searching the forum. You might be better off doing a RaceTech suspension mod to replace the springs. There's a thread on that. And I'd think about an Ohlins rear shock replacement if you're thinking about suspension upgrades. I haven't done either because I can't get off the fence on upgrading my bike or getting a MT09 or MT10. Just too attached to my FZ6 and having trouble letting it go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts