Sport Bikes banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
157 on speedo. I do believe it really did do close to that too...I know people say the speedo is off...but....the FZ6 is a quality machine and I believe in its performance. Plus, All I remember at that speed was complete tunnel vision...I think it could do 160top....that's also with aftermarket exhaust though.

Theres no way..i love my bike but theres not way it'll hit 160, even indicted it won't. i had mine at 151 indicated and there wasn't any balls left in the sack to go faster unless i had an endless strip or road.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Does somebody need RADAR confirmation on this! I think I can go by a Texas State Trooper on the way home and get him to put it in writing for you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My probation officer said the police radar van clocked my fz6 at 160mph. I think the speedo indicated 163, but maybe the radar and the speedo were both incorrectly calibrated.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
My probation officer said the police radar van clocked my fz6 at 160mph. I think the speedo indicated 163, but maybe the radar and the speedo were both incorrectly calibrated.
Well speedometers can be off by as much as 10%. This has been documented. As for radar, well there is even disagreement about its accuracy... :popcorn

As to top speed, this site puts the top speed with stock gearing at 170 mph. This speed could only be achieved on a dyno. The aerodynamics are the limiting factor for top speed on any motorcycle.

xs4all.nl/~ator0437/gc/

·
Registered
269 Posts
meh, 158 is a guy on the other FZ6 forum's best indicated top speed and I'm only one number lower. I looked at the tach for a split second just so I could see how fast I was going later. 12,480 in 6th going down a slight hill. Suprised the crap out of me because I thought I was in 5th. Yeah, stupid speeds and all but what is done is done. Just wish I could find a runway or something to really lay into it.

Khyren

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could say 145 miles per hour but who would actually go for an entire hour and cover 145 miles? Or 1145 miles per hour if eastbound near the equator relative to a non spinning object in space. Or up to double the speed of light if we had an opposing reaction at the Big Bang and were traveling away from the explosion at the speed of light opposite of whoever was on a planet going the opposite way from the explosion.... 5 a.m. and one Monster drink does this to you. My personal fastest is 198 indicated on an altered 00 ZX12R, 143 over the speed limit. ..... I now race for fun...... on a track.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Or up to double the speed of light if we had an opposing reaction at the Big Bang and were traveling away from the explosion at the speed of light opposite of whoever was on a planet going the opposite way from the explosion
The only problem is that it is only possible for light to move at the speed of light, not matter. And since the speed of light is constant, if two objects are moving away from each other at the speed of light then they will observe each other moving at the speed of light, not double the speed of light. Plus, at the Big Bang the laws of physics are unknown, so measuring speed is a moot point.

·
FEAR the stapler...
1,230 Posts
You could say 145 miles per hour but who would actually go for an entire hour and cover 145 miles? Or 1145 miles per hour if eastbound near the equator relative to a non spinning object in space. Or up to double the speed of light if we had an opposing reaction at the Big Bang and were traveling away from the explosion at the speed of light opposite of whoever was on a planet going the opposite way from the explosion.... 5 a.m. and one Monster drink does this to you. My personal fastest is 198 indicated on an altered 00 ZX12R, 143 over the speed limit. ..... I now race for fun...... on a track.
YAY DEAD THREAD!!!!!!!

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
^ +1, I love threads from the dead :lol

·
Registered
549 Posts
Since the thread has been resurrected I will post my two cents.

The Fz6 may not be the fastest bike out there, but it's plenty fast for places with speed limits.
I've hit 100MPH indicated in 2nd gear, and 120 in third, but the thought of getting pulled over and losing my license and/or bike was enough to make me stop.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
I doubt I'll ever see the top end of my fz, the thought of head shake at those speeds is pretty damn sobering,I did pass a car the other day just rolled on in 6th from 72 indicated and when I got back in my lane she was readin 111, that was just going around an suv, fastest yet was 121 going into 4th

·
SBN
71 Posts
Fastest I've had mine was 216 km/hr which is roughly 135 or so, and she had plenty to go. I only backed off because the AC/DC t-shirt I was wearing offered little in the way of crash protection... only +style points.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
ive had mine read 157/158 and it still have about 1500-2000 left on the tach... but that was down a slight long straight non trafficked stretch of roadway...

ps took forever to get there...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I don't know about you guys, but I did my speed run in a decently controlled environment. It was a bout 2:00am, no traffic at all and I have a tunnel at about 1-2 miles long. It dips downhill, levels out and then back uphill. Needless to say the air is extremely warm in there, but the wind was very stable as there is none essentially.

I was in 6th gear at about 6-7k rpm going about 70ish mph or so, I can't remember exactly. I opened up as soon I saw the road was going to level out and I climbed up to 140mph+ pretty fast. It was so stable and smooth that I could look down and stare at the speedo for about 2-3 seconds to clarify. I didn't even duck down into the bike much. I was quite surprised and then I finnally let off and tapped the brakes back down to speed limit before hitting the uphill battle. Very fast to 142-143 pmh, in final gear, felt like I could have hit 150 easily, this was of course all on the factory speedo. I must say if you are going to do it, do it in a tunnel that does not curve and no traffic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello newbie here my brother swears he got mine up to 140 (I do not know if it is true) on this stretch of highway which is pretty long out in the boonies, personally I have only tried up to 116 on a country road. Then I started thinking about all the deer around there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I saw 145 indicated on a long straight stretch of highway late at night. She definitely had more to go but that was good enough for me. Been there once, don't need to again.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts