Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... How many of you owned an FZ6 prior to the FZ1? Mind my asking why you moved up? Regrets? What are the biggest differences besides the obvious (pwr, weight and suspension) like riding stance, cornering (stock setups in mind), braking, wind noise, head buffeting, etc? After 3 yrs on the FZ6 and looking at the mods I'd like to make to my bike, it appears the FZ1 has a lot of these already built in. Why spend on mods when I can just upgrade to the new bike?

Now, if you did have regrets, what are they?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Yup, I had a 05 fz6 for 1.5 yrs of riding season in Indiana, then got the 06 fz1 No Regrets at all the 06+ fz1 is a blast. I'd say go for it you'll love it too.

:cheers

·
So much cooler online
2,240 Posts
I went with a first gen FZ1 ('05) and I have no regrets. The only drawback I have is the stock shock spring is too soft. I was able to set up the forks to the appropriate sag, but not the rear. I'm currently working on fixing that (dieting, and saving for a shock rebuild :))

Trust me, you won't regret it!

:edit also, my passengers never smell like exhaust anymore because of the undertail pipes. Yea they look good, but thats about it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with a first gen FZ1 ('05) and I have no regrets. The only drawback I have is the stock shock spring is too soft. I was able to set up the forks to the appropriate sag, but not the rear. I'm currently working on fixing that (dieting, and saving for a shock rebuild :))

Trust me, you won't regret it!

:edit also, my passengers never smell like exhaust anymore because of the undertail pipes. Yea they look good, but thats about it.
If you don't mind my asking, how much do you weigh? I'm built on a big frame and carry 230 lbs. Does the rear have any adjustments at all?

Good aftermarket choices?

How about the stock seat rideability? We all know the stock FZ6 seat isn't good for long rides. Would you say the FZ1 is better?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!

-Eric

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, how much do you weigh? I'm built on a big frame and carry 230 lbs. Does the rear have any adjustments at all?

Good aftermarket choices?

How about the stock seat rideability? We all know the stock FZ6 seat isn't good for long rides. Would you say the FZ1 is better?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!

-Eric
He's talking about the 01 to 05 model fz1, which are nice but not my cup of tea for lots of reasons. However the 06+ fz1 isn't a R1, I'm 245lbs and have had my 06 since Aug. 06 with 7,000 mile's and have no complaints.
:cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
The change

Probably stating the obvious here but....

I assume your talking about getting a 2008 FZ1? Not a used bike.

Not to offend anyone, but the 05 and back FZ1's are UGLY and very outdated looking.

The 06 FZ1 had a few problems, like a glitch in the throttle response being too touchy and a few other issues that caused the bike to be a bit uncomfortable compared to the 05. Most of the issues were resolved in the 07 making it and the 08 a much better bike. The 2008 FZ1 has a few extras added like the gold rims which I think are very nice. I wish I had waited two more months and got the 08 instead if the 07 I have.

BIG DIFFERENCE...

The FZ1 can be deceptively calm and easy bike to ride. But be aware, the F1 engine delivers HUGE amounts of power as compared to the FZ6, and the power-band is much larger. You do not have to get to 10,000 RPM to feel the full brunt of the power. The 1000 litter class is a whole new world and it takes a real man to do a full charge off the line. It is like time warp, just a few tens of a second behind the F1.

HOWEVER

First gear is a bit of a problem. It is kind of tall for my taste. One of my passengers was a petty big chick. She weighs about 160 and I weigh about 190. I noticed the engine did not like pulling us smoothly off the line. I could DEFIANTLY tell the bike was struggling to pull our weight.

I am thinking about a sprocket change to give the bike more toque from a start. I have stalled the bike several times by letting the clutch out too fast at low RPM's.

·
occasional know-it-almost
198 Posts
Actually I see it the other way around, and the newer fz's look like every other bike on the road.
I'd have to agree with ya on that 'coverdog'. Kind of a biased opinion, but I have not seen a reason other than the FI to upgrade my bike. And, after reading all the issues that they've had with the FI not being the best in the world, not to mention the big ass cannon firing off the rear (known to most as an exhaust pipe)...I certainly didn't see a reason to get rid of my baby. It's all a matter of opinion.

Also,the rear just has the norms for shock 'adjust-ability', damper & preload....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey all... How many of you owned an FZ6 prior to the FZ1? Mind my asking why you moved up? Regrets? What are the biggest differences besides the obvious (pwr, weight and suspension) like riding stance, cornering (stock setups in mind), braking, wind noise, head buffeting, etc? After 3 yrs on the FZ6 and looking at the mods I'd like to make to my bike, it appears the FZ1 has a lot of these already built in. Why spend on mods when I can just upgrade to the new bike?

Now, if you did have regrets, what are they?

Thanks all!
So.... Did you ever make the change? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
fz6 to fz1

hey all, i own a 2007 fz6 and looking to get more power. so i was wondering if its possible to swap from and fz6 engine to a fz1 engine? reason i ask is that theres a person wanting to part a 2008 fz1 only down side is that the engine has a cracked case and wants me to make an offer. not sure exactly what to offer him.. any help would be appriciated thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts