Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Kings

Votes: 1 1.0%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, since the other thread has had so much valuble tire info in it and I dont see one in the stickies maybe we can get this stickied? I will try to keep an up to date list of the top models ppl prefer .

What we will do is vote for the tire you use (pm me if its not on the list) then in your reply put in this format.

1. Model/Make
  2. Style Riding You Do
  3. How Many Miles On
  4. Your 1-10 Rating
  5. Price Paid/Tire

Then maybe a brief description of what you like about the handling, wear ect

IF YOU USE CONTINENTAL TIRES PLEASE VOTE FOR KINGS I CANNOT CHANGE THE POLL SELECTIONS AND KINGS DO NOT MAKE A TIRE THAT FITS THE FZ6

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
for track ive used
bridgestone BT-002 PRO type4/type4 [alot, 10, $80 shipped]
pirelli supercorsa pro sc2/sc2 [3 days or 700 miles or so, 9, $80 shipped]
michelin power race prc/pr4 [2-3 days, 8, $80 shipped]

street
pirelli dragon supercorsa sc2/sc3
stones bt-002rs, bt-020, bt-021, bt-016 (on a friends bike)
metzeler m1/m3
pirelli diablo
diablo corsaIII
qualifiers (on someone elses bike)
pilot powers (on someone elses bike)

stones are my choice, especially for the price. with pirelli in a close second and no real opinion on dunlop or michelins.

·
Wait! What just happened?
345 Posts
Model/Make: 04 FZ6

Style Riding You Do: Commute with midweek and weekend twisties.

How Many Miles On: Dunlop Qualifires for 4k and 3k on a Dunlop Roadsmart(still on bike).

Your 1-10 Rating: Both get a 10. Both did/do exactly what they were made for.

Price Paid/Tire: $100-130-ish for the fronts and $150-ish for the rears.

Do I need to say that I've been pleased with Dunlop? I've only ever run dunlop so my views may be skewed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
'07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
sport-street/commuting
15,000 total since June '07
7,500-ish on the Stock Bridgestone BT020s
7,500-ish on Michelin Pilot Roads
70-ish on Pirelli Diablo front/ Rosso rear

The 020s were okay- good mileage, decent grip wet or dry for a mileage tire, good feedback. Horrible cupping on the front toward the end.

The Roads were terrible- a decent tire maybe, but the front profile doesn't work on the 650R. Falls in way too easy, feel unstable, and the front got to the edge long before the rear- like 0" strip on the front and 1/2"+ on the rear. Scary- and part of the reason for my lowside. Had to run them 3psi below stock to get any grip, which decreased the life. Less front feel than the 'Stones.

The Diablo/Rosso combination lacks some feel up front but grips much better than anything else I've run. Tip-in is consistent, and they're stable in a turn or straight. Haven't done much on them yet because I've been caging on the slab to carry shit.

020s were stock- so no price

Roads cost me $313 because the worthless shop dicked up. First they got D208s -in the wrong size!- a week after I ordered, then the Roads after another week. Didn't know a good price for the Roads, so I got ripped. Wanted the Road 2- which would have been a good price.

"Dealer cost" for the Diablo/Rosso because his supplier dicked up (different shop). $85 for the front Diablo, and $113 for the rear Rosso. Was supposed to get the Diablo Stradas, but the front Strada came in attached to a rear Rosso with a Strada sticker on it. He happened to have a front Diablo around, so that went on instead of hard front, soft rear.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
'07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
sport-street/commuting
15,000 total since June '07
7,500-ish on the Stock Bridgestone BT020s
7,500-ish on Michelin Pilot Roads
70-ish on Pirelli Diablo front/ Rosso rear

The 020s were okay- good mileage, decent grip wet or dry for a mileage tire, good feedback. Horrible cupping on the front toward the end.

The Roads were terrible- a decent tire maybe, but the front profile doesn't work on the 650R. Falls in way too easy, feel unstable, and the front got to the edge long before the rear- like 0" strip on the front and 1/2"+ on the rear. Scary- and part of the reason for my lowside. Had to run them 3psi below stock to get any grip, which decreased the life. Less front feel than the 'Stones.

The Diablo/Rosso combination lacks some feel up front but grips much better than anything else I've run. Tip-in is consistent, and they're stable in a turn or straight. Haven't done much on them yet because I've been caging on the slab to carry shit.

020s were stock- so no price

Roads cost me $313 because the worthless shop dicked up. First they got D208s -in the wrong size!- a week after I ordered, then the Roads after another week. Didn't know a good price for the Roads, so I got ripped. Wanted the Road 2- which would have been a good price.

"Dealer cost" for the Diablo/Rosso because his supplier dicked up (different shop). $85 for the front Diablo, and $113 for the rear Rosso. Was supposed to get the Diablo Stradas, but the front Strada came in attached to a rear Rosso with a Strada sticker on it. He happened to have a front Diablo around, so that went on instead of hard front, soft rear.
With a hard front and a soft rear the handling may become weird and so the wear.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
I am still running my stock BT020s. Not really impressed with them. Rear starts easily slipping under me on meager leans not even knee-dragging kinds. I've about a inch of chicken strip and have 7000 miles on them. Wet grip is decent though. Other than that a good commuter tire. Can't wait to replace them with the Conti Road Attacks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quite a few of us run Continental Road Attacks. I only get about 4-5K per rear tire, but I like their stickness, both wet and dry.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Model/Make: 06 FZ6

Style of Riding: Weekend twisties.

Your 1-10 Rating: BT020s get a 6 out of 10. Too many miles in them but no fun. The Pirelli stradas get a 7.5 out of 10 (+ in temp quickly for a sport tire, -mileage, less grip then BT21s, single compound)
The BT021 get a 8.5 out of 10. Better grip than the other tires I tried, but need some tine to get in proper temperature. If you are a commuter and you are really hard on the throttle right off the start, this is a problem. If not, this can be the tire of choice, especially for weekend fun and relatively higher mileage.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Quite a few of us run Continental Road Attacks. I only get about 4-5K per rear tire, but I like their stickness, both wet and dry.
Only 5K. That is sad to hear ...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Model/Make: 06 FZ6

Style Riding You Do: Daily commute 30miles both ways with weekend twisties.

Stock BT020's

Ran for: 9.2k.

Rating: 4/10

Review: Horrible Traction. Rear broke loose without pushing it at all more than once. Pretty decent life though so I give them a 4.

Price paid/Tire: Came with the bike.

Pirelli Diablo Strada's

Ran for: 4.8k miles and rolling

Rating: 8/10

Review: Huge improvement in traction and handling over stock bt020's. Warms up quickly and grips great. 4.9k and still alot of meat left on both front and rear tires. Inspires alot more confidence in corners and turn-in. Solid feedback. Survived 2 track days without any problems at all. I give it a 8 because it is a sport touring tire, there are better tires for harder riding.

Price Paid/Tire: $100 for the front and $130 for the rear.

I think I'll give a dual compound tire a shot next change just to get a wider feel on what a good tire is to me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
  1. Model/Make Pirelli Diablo Supersport
  2. Style Riding You Do Touring
  3. How Many Miles On Average 12,000 miles
  4. Your 1-10 Rating 8
  5. Price Paid/Tire $170 per set.

The tires handle well, no issues riding in the rain, the tires never developed a severe flat spot (I wore them down to the steel belts.)

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
1. 06 FZ6 Bridgestone Battleaxe 021
2. Commuting ~ 400 miles/week; weekend twisty ride of 100 - 200 mile plus when I can
3. 1k so far on this set; nearly 15k on bike
4. rating: 9 (I would give them a 10 for my riding but I'm sure there are better tires out there)
5. $210 for the set incl. shipping

At the risk of boring everyone; bike had Bridgestone 020 stock, wore out rear in ~4-5k. Put 020 rear back on to match front, ran screw through it nearly new; plugged put 2k on then got set of Dunlops from Cycle Gear for $139.00 - don't know the #. One of their closeout specials. They stuck like glue but only got 4k out of rear. Put plugged 020 back on and ran for 3k (5k total) until steel showing and front Dunlop worn out. Got the 021's and put on around 3 weeks ago. Outstanding tire. Great grip and not a hint of flat spotting after 1k miles. What really stands out is the smoothness of the ride. Before installing (and long before the previous tires had worn out) I was seriously thinking of doing the fork upgrade to handle some of the poor pavement around here. Not any more.

I almost got the Diablo Strada's that some on this forum got back in the spring when they were $170(?) for the set. Should another deal like that or the one I got for the Dunlops last year come along I will no doubt go with that deal solely for the monetary savings, but if I have to pay "regular" price for a tire I'll not go w/ anything other than the 021. They are that good - at least for the riding I do.

Great in the rain too.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
06 FZ6

riding style commute/weekend/trackday corner carver

stock BT020s got just over 8k miles, w/1trackday
they were a good set of tires... no issues only slips were on gravel and debris... rate them a 6.8 out of 10... Stockers

Michelin Pilot Powers, got around 4.5k-5k miles, w/several trackdays
tires where absolutely wonderful rate them a 9 out of 10... only wish they lasted longer but they were predictable in turns... even when worn out... cost 235$ for the set

now running the Pirelli Diablo Sports, have around 1800 miles on them, love them for the street and weekend runs, but they are flat out not a track tire worth shit... rate them a 7 out of 10 for street use only... i still expect to see around 6-7k miles out of them though... cost 180$ for the set

will be going back to the pilot powers or switching to the Metzeler Sporttec M3s next...

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
  1. Model/Make Pirelli Diablo Supersport
  2. Style Riding You Do Touring
  3. How Many Miles On Average 12,000 miles
  4. Your 1-10 Rating 8
  5. Price Paid/Tire $170 per set.

The tires handle well, no issues riding in the rain, the tires never developed a severe flat spot (I wore them down to the steel belts.)
You get 12k miles on a set of Diablo Supersports? WOW!!!

I am about ready for a new set of tires. I am at 8400 miles on my 06 FZ6 wearing Bridgestone BT-020's from the factory and am likely going with Avon Storm ST's next .... but the Conti Road Attacks are nice looking. If they only supply 5k miles for a rear, though, I will pass.

However, I broke my leg last monday so I guess I can postpone the new tires for a while.... :angry

·
Drunken Philosopher
947 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tire Comparison

Model/Make - Metzeler M6

Style Riding You Do - Comute, Touring

How Many Miles On Average - 18,000 miles and still going

Your 1-10 Rating - 9 Very good grip, outstanding mileage

Price Paid/Tire - about $220 per set.

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
Model/Make - Metzeler M6

Style Riding You Do - Comute, Touring

How Many Miles On Average - 18,000 miles and still going

Your 1-10 Rating - 9 Very good grip, outstanding mileage

Price Paid/Tire - about $220 per set.

18,000 miles on a rear and still going?

·
Registered
373 Posts
18,000 miles on a rear and still going?
Stock tires lasted 8,000 miles. Metzler is a second set. I have over 26,000 on my bike now and thread looks pretty good. On these very tires I have made few good trips.. Last year I went to Mt. Washington in NH, this year - one trip to Canada, one to Tail of the Dragon (NC/TN) through Chesapeake bridge (VA). On this very set of tires I will be on our NH meet next week.... BTW - all my touring done 2UP...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts