Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fazers,
I did not find any value even in the service manual, how much to screw on the adustment nut, if I had a passenger.
The bike was actually serviced by Yamaha, with 1 person (only driver) it is set perfectly, Both low beam and high beam.
But with a passenger of some 70kg the low beam hits so high, I even do not need the high beam, but cars are flashing to me :-(
How much to turn on the vertical adjuster? (Usually I do not have the passengers on the bike, as I have time to adjust, AND it is dark outside.)

Any idea to make it easier to swap forth and back? Just like in vintage cars, with a small arm or sg like that?

Thanks in advance!
Ivan

·
Registered
208 Posts
Park the bike 3-4 meters from a wall, turn on the headlight and mark the wall with a piece of tape or what ever works for you where the headlight cut off point is. Now, have the passenger get on and note the change. Adjust the headlight aim until it matches the earlier mark/tape line. Bingo, your headlights will now be correct with passenger.

This works especially well if you can do this in your own garage or spot where you can leave the mark in place and refer to it when you want to change back and forth. When I had a bike with adjustable pre-load for the rear shock, I would adjust that with passenger to match the headlight mark for solo and be spot on with passenger.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Park the bike 3-4 meters from a wall, turn on the headlight and mark the wall with a piece of tape or what ever works for you where the headlight cut off point is. Now, have the passenger get on and note the change. Adjust the headlight aim until it matches the earlier mark/tape line. Bingo, your headlights will now be correct with passenger.

This works especially well if you can do this in your own garage or spot where you can leave the mark in place and refer to it when you want to change back and forth. When I had a bike with adjustable pre-load for the rear shock, I would adjust that with passenger to match the headlight mark for solo and be spot on with passenger.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Eric,
I appreciate your detailed instructions. I have already read these methods, and they are O.K. for sure.
But how to carry this out without passenger sitting on the bike?
My intension was to get info, how many turns are necessary on the adjusting screw to reach this ideal setting again, that is now perfect for a lonely driver.
Maybe someone has already noticed it, counted it.
And, if someone has modified his headlight to ease this adjusting between 1 and 2 person mode.
Eeee...maybe I invented something...? :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
The problem with "how many turns" is that it will vary based upon your passenger weight. So what is perfect number of turns for one person's passenger will be horribly wrong for another's. Until you adjust it with your passenger so it is correct, and count the turns, you won't be able to just count turns w/o a passenger. And if your passengers vary in weight, the number of turns will only be perfect for one of them.

How often do you ride at night two up? I personally would never consider adjusting the headlight back and forth that often. It's not really intended for that kind of use. Adjust the suspension, not the headlight. After all, you really should be doing that to compensate for the additional weight. If you go back and forth often, you might want to consider an upgraded rear shock with external hydraulic pre-load. It makes life a lot easier when you go back and forth. Not the cheapest solution though. The Gen I FJR has a Hard/Soft lever that works fairly well for this purpose. Later Gen FJRs got a knob at the rear of the headlight for adjusting the lights. Moving it to 'hard' is two up setting and more pre-load. I've owned both the FZ6, FZ1 and FJR, with most of my miles on the FJR, but don't have a clue if the FJR shock could potentially be used on the FZ6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts