Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'll get a mostly FZ slanted response on this forum but....

Background:
Experienced motocross and offroad racer/rider (B class)
I ride 250 450 4stroke MX bikes
Diesel is killing my on commuting so I'm looking to ride on concrete... something I didn't think I would ever do.
Bike will be 90% for commuting 34 miles (round trip) to work.
90% of that commute is highway and they highway can backup to standstill if I leave to work late or leave from work late. My normal commute time bypasses the gridlock.

Given my experience on big and small 4stroke singles that pull from bottom to top, I'm trying to figure out what bike would be best for me. I've been known to come close to dragging my bars in the dirt so leaning a bike over isn't an issue for me. I'm going back and forth on the SV vs the FZ. Both bikes impress me. The twin for it bottom/mid grunt and the FZ for top end perf and I like it's looks the best. The riding position of the FZ is favorable as well. I'm not licensed for street yet so I doubt I'll get a demo ride before I buy. I did have a Kawi dealer that would let me take a bike out without.... unfortunately... The Versys is out of my price range. I'm going to settle for a used bike. I do want a more upright riding position and would prefer a faring. The SV has a better position than the SVS but no wind blockage.

The questions:

Recommendations?

Can a SVS be fitted with regular bars to give a better upright position?... and are the pegs set further back than the SV?

Are there inexpensive mods to wake up the bottom end of the FZ?

Can you tell I like a bike that puts out from top to bottom? LOL

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
If you like bottom end, look at the Versys. Ninja 650 motor but lots of goodies on that bike, and a dream to drive.

And the Versys can outmanouever the FZ in the corners. How do I know? I have the FZ and my husband has the Versys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Considering that I spend most of my time on dirtbikes.... the naked/near naked look is preferable in my mind's eye. Love a completely naked bike but know that something to deflect the wind at highway speeds will probably be important to me. The max I hit on an MX track is probably 50-55 mph which is tolerable... but 70+ for extended (extended being a 30 minute commute) seems like it might get a bit grating. There is a good chance I may want to do a fun extended ride so I'm just trying to look out for that possible need with a fairing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you like bottom end, look at the Versys. Ninja 650 motor but lots of goodies on that bike, and a dream to drive.

And the Versys can outmanouever the FZ in the corners. How do I know? I have the FZ and my husband has the Versys.
The Versys IS the bike I want but can't afford. It's too new to the states so there isn't the used supply to find the deal I want. It's the perfect cross over bike for a dirtbiker. Sits tall and is kind of motard. I could get one but I would have to dump my 250F and that ain't gonna happen! Reviews of that bike put it on the top of my list.... just out of my price range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
on the SV650s end, Im not sure about a handlebar conversion, although Im sure its doable, Heli Bars are available for the sv650s ( Basically higher position clip on's )

As for the FZ6, I was in the same position as you, I wanted the upright seating position of the FZ6 and SV650 but with an actual fairing. I am quite happy with it so far. I hear the -1 front sprocket conversion helps with the low end a bit, but I just placed an order for my sprocket so I won't be able to comment on that for a few weeks.

Im sure some people can chime in here, but it seems like more and more people are doing Naked conversions on their FZ's so they might be able to comment on riding without a fairing.

With the SV650 there is a b***** aftermarket I think, ( It seems like a lot of the really cool FZ6 things are from europe ) I know that people take a GSXR front end to their SV's as an upgrade. FZ6's have a conversion for a R6s, but it a) requires a shim kit that is rare/non existent and b) it seems like everyone and their cat has crashed a GSXR and is parting it out, I haven't seen a lot of R6s's being parted out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the thing about sv's... They really don't have anymore a bottom-end than a FZ. I've owned both, I currently have an 07 FZ, but have owned an 06 sv, and an 07 sv. Bottom end isn't really a high point on the sv, it doesn't pull any harder than the FZ below 5000 rpms. It does have a shorter dwell-time between midrange and top end though. Although the top end of an sv pales in comparison to an FZ, it "punches" through the midrange faster. But bottom end, it ain't happy! The FZ will actually pull cleanly and quietly from about 3000 rpm's. The SV sounds like a dryer full of wrenches when punching it below about 4500 rpm's. A 90 deg v-twin like the sv's makes power twice in 720 degrees of crank rotation. Once @ 0 degrees, once @ 270 degrees. After that the crank coasts creating a lot of clash between the primary and the secondary (clutch). An FZ being an even-firing inline 4 makes power 4 times per 720 degrees, spaced evenly at 180 deg intervals, less noisy and typically smoother especially at low revs. Keep in mind the 07 and later FZ's were supposedly re-mapped and supposedly run better in the low end. Having never riden an earlier example I can't comment on that, but I'm pretty happy with how it runs in the 3000-4000 rpm range. It's not going to impress you with ton's of power here, but at least it's smooth and non-jerky and many other bike I've owned could be in this rpm range. One last word on the SV. They aren't comfortable.... At all! There's something about the combination of the seat, the reach to the bars and the pegs that just kills my neck, lower back, ass and man-bits.... can't quite put my finger on it (the reason, that is), they feel reasonably comfortable just sittin on 'em in the show room. But after 45 minutes, you'll see what I mean... Having owned 2 sv's though, I must admit they are a good bike, I don't have any major gripes other than the comfort. Whatever the power characteristics of a bike you adapt, and unless the thing's just a pig, you learn to have fun. Neither bike has a bottom-end, but the FZ makes up for that by having an ACTUAL top-end.

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
I am amazed that this is not the usual FZ-FTW!

Twinspar I have almost the exact same riding background as you and came to the same point in the decision making process. FZ or SV. The Kawi was never really a contender, I am not sure it was out yet.

Here's how I reached my final decision:

The FZ was a b*****, roomier ride, that made a difference for me at 6'5".
The FZ looked better to me, undertail, wider rear tire and the fairing layout.
The reported "mellowness" of the powerband under 7k. Since this was my fiirst "real" street bike I wanted to be comfortable in traffic--but be able to GO when I wanted to.
Finally this board. An internet presence is very important to me for tech support and general bs.

The SV was torquier and I liked that, I gear all my dirt bikes for max torque, but as a TST woods rider that is what works for me. The street is different.

That's 4 to 1 on the plus list--decision made.

The only guy I ever really ride with has a SV so I have ridden both quite a few times. I prefer the FZ...so does he.

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
I was in the same position as well when I was hunting for my first bike: FZ6 or SV650S

I chose the FZ6 for a few reasons:

1. The yamaha has noticably better build quality. For someone who likes working on their own bike this is very important.
2. The yamaha has an Inline-4. Coming from Honda VTEC powered cars (S2000/Prelude) I'm used to a very strong top end on my ride...the FZ6 fits this perfect. (to me, a power band that doesn't peak near redline is like sex with no climax!)
3. Luggage: The FZ6 is laid out pefectly for easily running saddlebags, tail bag and tank bags (undertail exhaust is perfect for side bags). The SV isn't nearly as luggage friendly.
4. Last but certainly NOT least: Riding comfort. The FZ6 is about as comfortable a ride you can get for as sporty as it still is. I can sit on it with my spine vertical and still have both hands firmly on the bars. :)

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
For that price you should just go ahead and buy the funny looking kawaski you really want.

Or a brand new FZ.

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
Now that I have sat on and seen the FZ... I like it better than the V. If I wasn't so opposed to financing, I probably would have bought the FZ1.
I know that feeling:cheers

Did they have an 08 there? Just for compairson purposes how much was that OTD?

The FE and LEd's are only worth a couple hundred new-if that much and they aren't really worth any thing extra on a used bike. I think you went into the dealer smelling like a victim (excited buyer ready to spend).
Try another one without the useme sign.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'll get a mostly FZ slanted response on this forum but....

Background:
Experienced motocross and offroad racer/rider (B class)
I ride 250 450 4stroke MX bikes
Diesel is killing my on commuting so I'm looking to ride on concrete... something I didn't think I would ever do.
Bike will be 90% for commuting 34 miles (round trip) to work.
90% of that commute is highway and they highway can backup to standstill if I leave to work late or leave from work late. My normal commute time bypasses the gridlock.

Given my experience on big and small 4stroke singles that pull from bottom to top, I'm trying to figure out what bike would be best for me. I've been known to come close to dragging my bars in the dirt so leaning a bike over isn't an issue for me. I'm going back and forth on the SV vs the FZ. Both bikes impress me. The twin for it bottom/mid grunt and the FZ for top end perf and I like it's looks the best. The riding position of the FZ is favorable as well. I'm not licensed for street yet so I doubt I'll get a demo ride before I buy. I did have a Kawi dealer that would let me take a bike out without.... unfortunately... The Versys is out of my price range. I'm going to settle for a used bike. I do want a more upright riding position and would prefer a faring. The SV has a better position than the SVS but no wind blockage.

The questions:

Recommendations?

Can a SVS be fitted with regular bars to give a better upright position?... and are the pegs set further back than the SV?

Are there inexpensive mods to wake up the bottom end of the FZ?

Can you tell I like a bike that puts out from top to bottom? LOL

Thanks!
My fz6r is faster than an SV 650 any day. I ride with my brother every day and he's got a stage 5 power commander full tune and race exaust. My mostly stock fz6r is just so much faster. But he's got us on torque.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts